Archive for the 'Mid-week' Category
It was only one game, but quarterback Zach Maynard said he felt much more comfortable during Saturday’s win over Utah than he had the two previous games. The question now whether it will be more of the same moving forward or more like the Oregon and USC games.
As mentioned in an earlier post, the biggest news today was that Marc Anthony will start Saturday at UCLA. Granted, Anthony has been a starter since the beginning of last season, but with the development of true freshman Stefan McClure, it seemed as though Anthony may have a battle on his hands to get his starting job back.
Despite amassing “only” 78 yards during Saturday’s win over Utah, Cal wide receiver Keenan Allen still leads the country in receiving yards per game.
Saturday’s performance lowered Allen’s average to 129.43 receiving yards per game. USC’s Robert Woods, after gaining just 36 yards the previous week against Cal, had a big game at Notre Dame with 12 catches for 119 yards. That puts his average at 128.86 receiving yards per game, just behind Allen.
The Butkus Award announced its 12 finalists today, and Cal linebacker Mychal Kendricks wasn’t on the list. Kendricks was on the preseason watch list for the award. Kendricks ranks third in the Pac-12 with 7.9 tackles per game.
We had our usual Thursday chat with defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast today, and he had some fairly revealing stuff to say.
First, he said true freshman linebacker Brennan Scarlett and cornerback Kam Jackson are going to start playing. Pendergast will have to pick his spots, but it sounds like Scarlett will spell fellow freshman Chris McCain on first and second down when needed. Pendergast wants to get Jackson some experience because he is now the first cornerback off the bench with Marc Anthony out and Stefan McClure starting.
- Jeff Tedford’s offense is a complex one, but it isn’t unreasonable.
- More on Isi Sofele’s showdown against his hometown team.
- The Utes hope to get a boost at tight end.
- The Bears will have their hands full with Utah DE Derrick Shelby.
Don’t forget, I’ll be conducting a live chat today from 1-2 p.m. Hope to see you all there.
- Cal running back and Salt Lake City native Isi Sofele has been looking forward to this game ever since Utah joined the Pac-12.
- Cal and Utah find themselves in similar situations.
- A Salt Lake notebook takes a look at Zach Maynard’s inconsistencies.
- Gee, this sounds familiar: Red zone problems for the Utes.