As Cal moves forward to Saturday’s game against Utah, there is increasing talk about the challenge the Bears will have against the Utes stingy defense. Utah has a very strong front seven, and it shows in its run defense which is ranked 13th nationally (94.5 yards allowed per game). During last week’s 26-14 win at Pittsburgh, Utah held Ray Graham, then the nation’s second-leading rusher, to just 46 yards on the ground. that was 103 yards under his average.
Archive for the 'upcoming game' Category
I’ll be holding another live chat Thursday from 1-2 p.m. I’ll provide the link soon.
- Cal’s weekly game notes.
- Utah’s weekly game notes.
- Jon Wilner grades Cal’s loss to USC.
- This is a couple days old; I meant to link it before and it got lost in the shuffle. Jon Wilner says the schedule means better days are ahead for the Bears.
- Utah believes it can play a lot better than it has shown so far.
- It’s been awhile since Utah’s defense has allowed a point.
Cal’s game at UCLA on Oct. 29 has been set for 4 p.m. The game was not picked up by the television networks that have contracts with the Pac-12. The game has already been picked up in the L.A. market by Prime Ticket. Cal is working on getting the game broadcast locally here as well.
The Bears got a head start on Utah today, going with a padded practice after taking Saturday off.
Since Cal played Thursday and Utah played yesterday (and getting a win at Pittsburgh), the Bears have a little extra time to prepare for Saturday’s game at AT&T Park. The question is whether inside linebacker Mychal Kendricks will play against the Utes.
- Thursday’s game features two of top wide receivers in the country.
- USC-Cal figures to be a more competitive game than last year.
- USC quarterback Matt Barkley has dominated Cal so far in his career.
- There is guarded optimism at USC these days.
- USC is expected to unleash a new weapon at the Bears.
- Cal’s game notes.
- USC’s game notes.
- This is Cal’s annual Joe Roth game.
Once again it was a strange feeling today to wrap up a week of practice on a Tuesday, but that’s what the Bears did for the second week in a row as they get ready for Thursday’s showdown against USC. Cal will have a walkthrough at AT&T Park tomorrow evening before spending the night in San Francisco and playing the game on Thursday.
Cal’s game against Utah on Oct. 22 will begin at 4 p.m. and air on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.
- It will be another stiff test for freshman Stefan McClure this week.
- ESPN.com’s Ted Miller gives his midseason review of the Bears (Is it midseason already?).
- Cal’s Jeff Tedford and USC’s Lane Kiffin can’t seem to let go of playcalling.
- USC receiver Marqise Lee has gotten off to a surprisingly fast start.
- USC coach Lane Kiffin is looking for more explosiveness from his running game.
- Arizona fired coach Mike Stoops yesterday.
- Utah QB Jordan Wynn is out for the season, meaning Cal won’t see him next weekend.