By Jessica Yadegaran
Tuesday, May 16th, 2006 at 12:32 pm in Uncategorized.
My friend Michaela — well, her boyfriend Todd, actually — created a fabulous wine and food pairing for her birthday last Thursday, and I want to share it to get your pairing juices flowing, and to prove that man was not meant to drink wine with foie gras and steak alone. I should preface this by saying that Michaela, and the rest of us, are obsessed with Del Taco. Here goes:
- 1991 Gloria Ferrer Carneros Cuvee Brut served with
pre-dinner snacks including different cheeses, flatbread with
artichoke hearts and truffle oil dip.
- 2004 Flowers Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast paired with popcorn
seasoned with smoked paprika and other spices. Great one, Todd!
- 2003 Brightwater Vineyards Nelson Riesling, New Zealand
paired with wasabi peas. This was my favorite.
- 2002 Heart of Darkness, Madiran Appellation Controlee, France paired with Del Taco beef burritos, bean and cheese burritos and nacho cheese. Word.
- 2003 Cline Big Break Zinfandel, Contra Costa County (paired
with similar Del Taco offerings. It should be said that this is one of my favorite zins. It tastes like mint!
- Warre’s Otima 10-year-old Tawny Port served with a raspberry fruit tart, but much better paired with the chocolate Michaela’s friends Aaron and Vidya brought up from Santa Cruz. Happy Birthday Michaeala!