By William Brand
Thursday, January 25th, 2007 at 10:48 pm in Uncategorized.
Well, I’ve made Playboy.com. But don’t look for me or any of the beer experts in the panel with our shorts off or admiring buxom playgirls. Playboy asked us to pick the best 10 beers in America. We each submitted a list and they chose the top 10…Here’s the top of their story:
“Playboy.com’s panel of beer experts told us their favorite American microbrews.
Here are 10 worth savoring.
Men often view beer the same way they view sex: As long as you’re getting as much as you want, everything is okay. But what’s the point of a large quantity of anything if you’re not also getting high quality? Fine beers, like gorgeous women, should be savored and enjoyed for their unique characteristics.
In the spirit of searching out something more sophisticated to drink, we polled some of the nation’s beer experts to come up with a list of the 10 best microbrews in America. While it’s an impossible task to list all the deserving beers being made today in the thousands of small breweries spread across America, this inventory of distinctive brews should provide you with a good starting point. Unlike gorgeous women, no good brew is ever out of your league…”
Here’s Playboy’s Top 10:
1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2. (Victory Brewing, Downingtown, PA.) Prima Pils
3. (Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY) Ommegang Abbey Ale
4. (Anderson Valley, Boonville, CA) Boont Amber Ale
5. Sierra Nevada Porter
6. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
7. (Tröegs Brewing., Harrisburg, PA.) Tröegenator Double Bock
8. (Sam Adams) Utopias
9. (Alaskan, Juno, AK.) Smoked Porter
10. (Deschutes, Bend OR) Mirror Pond Pale Ale
You can read the whole story here.
And furthermore…It was a quite distinguished panel with some real experts. They asked us to select our top three favorites in a variety of styles. The only caveat was the beer had to be bottled and available for sale somewhere in the U.S.
Here’s the list I submitted. I made one error: Pliny, from Russian River’s not bottled. A shame.
1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada, Chico, CA.
2. Ruth, Hair of the Dog, Portland, OR.
3. Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Deschutes, Bend, OR
1. Racer 5, Bear Republic, Healdsburg, CA.
2. 21st Amendment IPA (San Francisco, available in cans)
3.Anchor Liberty Ale, Anchor, San Francisco, CA.
1. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, North Coast, Fort Bragg, CA.
2. Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, Three Floyds, Munster, IN.
3. Bourbon County Stout, Goose Island, Chicago, IL.
1. Anchor Porter , Anchor, San Francisco, CO.
2. Flying Dog Road Dog Scottish Porter, Flying Dog, Denver, CO
3. Alaskan Smoked Porter, Alaskan Brewing, Juno, AK.
1. Damnation Belgian Style Ale, Russian River Brewing, Santa Rosa, CA.
2. Trippel Belgian-Style Ale, New Belgium, Fort Collins, CO.
3. Ommegang, Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
1. Pliny the Elder (Russian River, Santa Rosa, CA)
2. Eye of the Hawk, Mendocino Brewing, Hopland, Ukiah, CA.
3. Arrogant Bastard, (Stone, Escondido, CA)
AMERICAN AMBER ALE
1. Boont Amber, Anderson Valley, Boonville, CA
2. Red Seal Ale, North Coast Brewing, Fort Bragg, CA
3. Censored, Lagunitas Brewing, Petaluma, CA.
1. Pyramid Hefeweizen, Pyramid Brewing, Seattle, WA., Berkeley, CA.
2.Farmhouse Saison, Coast Range Brewing, Gilroy, CA
3 Wild Dog Colorado Saison, Flying Dog,. Denver, CO>.
1. Trumer Pils (Berkeley, CA)
2. Lagunitas Pils, Czech Style Pilsner, Lagunitas, Petaluma, CA.
3. Prima Pils, Victory Brewing Co., Downingtown, PA
1. NO CHOICES. SORRY. How about a Diet Coke or maybe Pabst Blue Ribbon
1. Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Boston Brewing, Cincinnati, OH
2. EJ Phair Marzen, EJ Phair, Concord, CA.
3. Marzen, Privatbrauerei Sudwerk Hubsch, Davis, CA.
1. Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock
2. Dead Guy Ale, Rogue, Newport, OR (Actually, an American maibock))
3. Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock, Boston Brewing, Cincinnati, OH,
1.Hop Rod Rye, Bear Republic, Healdsburg, CA.
2. Butte Creek 10th Anniversary Double IPA, Butte Creek, Chico, CA.
3. Hopsickle, Moylan’s, Novato, CA.
4. Utopias, Sam Adams.