By Jessica Yadegaran
Tuesday, August 7th, 2007 at 2:55 pm in Uncategorized.
I’ve blogged about Emily Wines before. She’s the fabulous, young, award-winning sommelier at Fifth Floor in San Francisco’s Hotel Palomar. I’m jealous of her last name.
To celebrate California Wine Month (officially designated by the governator himself), Wines will be offering a Weekend Sommelier program, offering the public a complete behind-the-scenes gastronomic experience and a peek into what her daily life is like as a top sommelier in a culinary capitol.
The Weekend Sommelier costs $250 and includes:
• Signature Flights + Bites food and wine pairing at Lounge on Five with Emily Wines.
• Behind-the-scenes tour of the Fifth Floor restaurant’s wine cellar.
• Tasting session with to select the evening’s featured wine list.
• Private dinner with the staff to sample the nightly specials.
• Experience acting as guest sommelier serving wine at alongside Wines.
• A late-night snack and wine tasting with Wines to review with day.
A bit on Wines: she’s overseen the Fifth Floor’s award-winning wine list of approximately 1,400 bottles for sever years. Awarded one star by the 2007 and 2008 Michelin guides, Fifth Floor operates a cellar featuring wines from individual growers and smaller winemakers to create a comprehensive selection of marquis brands and vintages. Wines also leads Fifth Floor’s popular Wines on Wine series, monthly classes for all levels of wine knowledge that cover topics such as “Sensory Evaluation,” “Joy of Bubbly,” and “Entertaining with Wine.” I took her class on France, and learned a bundle.
Bonus about the Weekend Sommelier experience: It’s available through through December 31, 2007 and attendees receive a 15 percent discount on their room rates which start at $229 to $369 per night. But you don’t have to stay at the hotel to participate. For more information, call 866-373-4941 or visit the hotel’s web site.