Bottoms Up

Beer and wine in the Bay Area and beyond

Comments on finding a good beer pub in San Jose…

By William Brand
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008 at 11:19 am in Uncategorized.

The comments function on this blog is acting hinky. I know it will be fixed soon. But a number of people have posted beer pub suggestions on my other blog: www.beernewsletter.com/blog.

Here’s what’s been posted there so far:

7 Responses to “Emails: Finding a good beer pub in San Jose”
sawall Says:
January 20th, 2008 at 7:39 pm e
The cask conditioned ales at Trials are pretty good – Dragon Slayer IPA, Monk’s Brown, and a third which I forget. They have the English pub vibe down pat.

My two favorite places for beer in the area are Firehouse (which you mention) and Faultline, another microbrewery in Sunnyvale. Faultline is definitely worth checking out if you haven’t. I particularly enjoyed their cask conditioned IPA on my last visit there. The fish is good, too.

If you like German beer, check out Teske’s Germania (right next door to Trials) and Hardy’s Bavaria on Evelyn in Sunnyvale, right about where Murphy Ave intersects it (i.e., real close to Firehouse).

admin Says:
January 20th, 2008 at 9:03 pm e
Thanks for the input. Pill put the German spots on muy list and check them out. There are a few around the Bay Area, but other than Schroder’s in San Francisco, they’re not well-publicized.

Damn, of course Faultline. I simply forgot them. They’re a South Bay pioneer place. wb

Brian Says:
January 21st, 2008 at 9:24 am e
Although I’m living in San Diego now, I grew up in the south bay and figured I should speak up. Mission Ale House is nothing spectacular, mostly a college hangout on weekend and evenings. I’d rather walk down the street to Britannia Arms, they have a fair selection on draft including Anchor Steam.

Trials is a nice quiet pub with a great selection of beers that aren’t generally available anywhere else in the south bay.

Faultline is great, but the food is a little pricey. There’s always Rock Bottom or BJ’s if you don’t mind the commercial brewpub atmosphere.

I’ve been meaning to make it to Firehouse on Murphy Street, but haven’t had the time when I visit yet (I work for The Firehouse Brewing Company of San Diego, no relation).

Steve Says:
January 21st, 2008 at 1:15 pm e
Hey Brian-

Next time you’re up this way, please come on by FireHouse and I’ll buy you a beer or two.

That goes for you too, Bill.

Steve

admin Says:
January 21st, 2008 at 1:21 pm e
You’ve got a deal Steve. See ya’ soon. wb

Will travel 4 beer Says:
January 22nd, 2008 at 10:46 am e
Forget about the aforementioned pubs. I have been through all of the pubs in the San Jose area and they lag when it comes to ale selection. I’m surprised no one mentioned BJ’s pizza near Highway 87 and Blossom Hill Road. They carry an excellent list of Belgium’s and their own micros are quite good. I travel to Oakland or San Francisco when I want real beer – I love La Trappe and The Trappist.
An update on Mission Ale House: they pulled most of their taps and are now left with less than half of their original selection; Trials Pub is a comfy little pub complete with leather reading chairs by the front window. Their cask conditioned ales come from the Marina brewer: English Ales. Right next door to Trials though is a fantastic German restaurant called Teske’s, they are the only bar I know that carries Aktien dopplebock – fantastic!

admin Says:
January 22nd, 2008 at 11:00 am e
Great info. Guess if you were stuck in San Jose, Mission Alehouse might be ok, but not great, huh.
The BJ’s pizza chain’s unusual. I should list them. There’s one in Woodland Hills in Southern California that’s really excellent. They’ve won a few prizes. They also supply the beer for the BJs in Maui. Sometimes it’s on the edge of sour when it arrives in Maui, but it;s still excellent, especially their amber. It’s called something Red. I don’t mind a lactic edge sometimes.
I digress, but if you go to Maui, don’t miss Maui Brewing. It’s in a nondescript shopping center. But don’t be fooled Their food and beer are excellent. They have, among others, a coconut porter that’s dynamite. Adn they sell it in cans! william brand

• BahHumBrew

There is a BJ’s in Campbell as well (also San Mateo and San Bruno). Most of their brews probably come from their Roseville brewery location. They usually have some decent guest taps as well as their house brews. Their amber is called Jeremiah Red.
    By the way, Maui Brewing has a new brewing facility down closer to Lahaina which is where the cans come from. Hope the tasting room is open next time I visit.
    If folks are looking for brew in the bay area or elsewhere, they should check out beermapping.com. There is a city map for San Franciso that extends to San Jose. If a favorite pub isn’t listed, please add it so other can find it as well.

• BahHumBrew

Oops. Just realized the BJ’s is in Cupertino not Campbell. I was trying to decide whether I should also mention the Sonoma Chicken Coop Brewpub that is in Campbell.

• http://www.beernewsletter.com/blog William Brand

Sonoma Chicken Coop Brewpub in Campbell? Haven;t heard if it, will check it out. wb

• BahHumBrew

I have only been to the Coop a couple times. Coops Brews were good but not outstanding. Their web site says they have a new brewer (Michael R. Barker) most recently from El Toro in Morgan Hill. Guess I’ll have to plan another visit as well.