SF Beer Week is becoming so huge that it’s becoming unwieldy. Basically, every pub and restaurant in the Bay Area that gives a damn about beer has something planned; brewpubs and breweries also have many, many events. In addition, a number of famous brewers are going to be in town, people like Rob Tod of Allagash, Portland, ME. and Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head, Milton, DE. and Matt Brynildson, Firestone-Walker, Paso Robles, CA.
Be sure to check out the listings — more are being added daily — at SFBeerWeek.org.
OK, here’s a tiny selection….
- Saturday, Feb. 7, 6 p.m. Meet Rod Tod, of Allagash at The Trappist, 460 8th Street, Oakland CA, 510-238-8900. Free, Buy your own beer. As most of you know Vic Kralj’s deservedly famous Double IPA Fest begins Feb. 7 at 11 a.m. Taste some mighty IPAs, get something to eat, jump on BART at the Hayward Station and make your way to The Trappist,. It’s avthree block walk from 12th Street BART in Oakland.
- Sunday, Feb 8, Noon – 3 p.m., “Brewer’s Sunday Tea”, 21st Amendment, 563 2nd St., San Francisco. Part of the 21st and Magnolia Gastropub’s Strong Beer Month: Beers from Magnolia and the 21st Amendment with a few special surprises. Enjoy Fatted Calf’s delicious handcrafted sausages grilled outside in the 21A’s beer garden. $30. No reservations just show up.
- Sunday, Feb. 8 6 – 9 p.m. A Beer Dinner with the Homebrew Chef. Sean Z. Paxton, chef and brewer extraordinaire is paring and cooking with the beer Monk’s Blood, that he guest brewed at the 21st Amendment for this year’s Strong Beer Month. Monk’s Blood , made with exotic sugars is based on the beer “Saucerful of Secrets” that he designed and brewed at Firestone Walker Brewery with Matt Brynildson. $50 Reservations: 415-369-0900
- Monday, February 9; 6:30-9:30 p,.m. Henry’s Jam House Beer Dinner with the beers of Triple Rock Brewry and Iron Springs, Henry’s, (inside the Durant Hotel) 2600 Durant Ave., Berkeley, CA 510-809-4132, $45. Chef Eddie Blyden, the former chef at both 21st Amendment Brewery & Restaurant and Magnolia and Alembic, knows how to cook with beer like few other people. He’s now cooking across the Bay at Henry’s, an International Gastropub adjoining the Cal Berkeley campus. His beer dinner will be a food and beer pairing featuring the beers of Triple R ock Brewery and Iron Springs.
- Monday, Feb. 9, 6 – 9 p.m. Wanna git my Eastern Peanut Butter in yer Western Chocolate”, 21st Amendment, $50. Reservations: 415-369-0900. “Witness Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head and Shaun O’Sullivan of the 21st Amendment in an East vs. West Coast Slam pairing Dogfish Head beers with West Coast foods and 21A beers with East Coast food. Think Tupac vs. Biggie, Spicoli vs. Sam from Cheers, The Grateful Dead vs. Velvet Underground. It will be a legendary showdown, featuring some of the best craft beer around, no matter which coast you’re from.”
- Wednesday, Feb. 11, 6 p.m. Beer Dinner featuring the beers of Stone Brewing, Monk’s Kettle, 3141 16th St., San Francisco. Price to be announced. Info: 415-865-9523.
1st Course: Salade Verte, Butter Lettuce, fresh herbs, Mustard Vinaigrette
Beer: Cali-Belgique IPA
2nd Course: Butternut Squash Soup with fried pumpkin seed and spiced crème fraiche
Beer: Oaked Bastard
3rd Course: Pan Seared Fish Thyme roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Delta Asparagus, Toybox Tomato Relish
Beer: Stone-Alesmith-Mikkeller Tripel
4th Course: Slow Braised Short Ribs, Whipped Parmesan Yukon Gold Potatoes, Blue Lake Green Beans, Natural Jus
Beer: Smoked Porter
5th Course: Chocolate Tuxedo Cake with White Chocolate Ganash, Crème Anglaise, Raspberry Sauce
Beer: 12th Anniversary Ale