By Jessica Yadegaran
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 at 5:21 pm in Corkheads.
Times are tough. Presents are expensive. Still, that doesn’t change the fact that the gift-giving holidays are next month, and we gotta pony up for our loved ones.
With that, here’s the first annual Corkheads Holiday Wish List. Cast your vote for the best wine gift, or better yet, post your own ideas. Whoever has the most creative idea wins a bottle of wintery petit sirah.
1. A copy of Robert Parker Jr’s new book, “Parker’s Wine Bargains: The World’s Best Wine Values under $25.” At $17.99, the book fits the bill.
2. A bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from the person’s birthday vintage. Oh, romantic-o.
3. A gift certificate to one of the Bay Area’s temperature-controlled wine storage unit companies, such as Subterraneum. The cellar for the rest of us.
4. A mixed wine case of 12 varietals the person has never tried. Can you say mencia?
5. A wine class at the Culinary Institute of America. Foie gras on a stick for lunch, anyone?
6. A road trip to a California wine region (Lodi!) you’ve been meaning to visit, complete with average accommodations, cheese picnic, and gas money.
7. A gift certificate to Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant. It’s time to finally learn why the French rule.
8. Coupons for a week’s worth of meals cooked for you by your roommate, partner or slave, er, loved one.
9. Dinner at Spruce in San Francisco. Have you seen the wine list?
10. One-year wine club membership of your choice.