By Katy Murphy
Friday, June 15th, 2007 at 9:30 am in Uncategorized.
It’s still too soon to tell whether the arson fire-displaced Peralta Elementary School children will have to share space with high school kids this fall at their temporary home, but the reconstruction situation looks much better than it did last week.
Tim White, OUSD’s head of facilities, said the construction plans made it out of the Division of the State Architect’s office early this week. In other words, it cleared a big bureaucratic hurdle that would have otherwise stalled the project. When I snagged him after school board meeting Wednesday night, White said work should begin in a few days.
If everything goes according to plan — and is completed within 60 days, as White estimated — it looks like the Peralta kids will be able to return to their 63rd Street home for the start of the semester.
Maybe the contractors will take a cue from the folks who fixed the MacArthur Maze.