After the May 20 public forum in which we’ll meet the two or three finalists for Oakland’s top job, a seven-member advisory committee will take a closer look and give the board a non-binding recommendation. The committee was officially formed this afternoon at a special board meeting (that I just happened to learn about while checking for Wednesday’s agenda).
Of the seven members, three once served on the Oakland school board. Here is the full list of appointees next to the name of the board member who chose them:
- Jody London - Ken Rice, who served on the Oakland school board until 2001
- David Kakishiba – Liz Sullivan, an organizer with Oakland Community Organizations
- Jumoke Hinton Hodge – Greg Hodge, her husband and predecessor on the school board
- Gary Yee – Wilma Chan, former assemblywoman who lost to Loni Hancock in last year’s state Senate race
- Chris Dobbins – Dan Siegel, a civil rights attorney who served on the school board between 1999 and 2007
- Noel Gallo – Ward Rountree, executive director of the Oakland teachers union
- Alice Spearman – Harold Mayberry, pastor of the First African Methodist Church
What do you think of the makeup of this committee? You can find the document with their names and duties here.