Part of the Bay Area News Group

Oakland middle school grad wins scholarship

By Katy Murphy
Friday, August 14th, 2009 at 2:36 pm in charter schools, college, middle schools, students.

Crystal Lauti hasn’t even started high school, and already she has earned $10,000 for her college education. 

Crystal just graduated from KIPP Bridge, a charter middle school in West Oakland, and was one of six KIPP students across the country to win the Doris Fisher award this year. About 1,000 students were eligible.

She sounds like a talented and hard-working kid, from the details I read in the below press release. I liked to see that she stepped up to run her school newspaper, although she’s probably smart enough to avoid the industry later in life.

Crystal was nominated for the Doris Fisher Award for her sheer academic excellence, sharp focus, maturity, and leadership inside and outside the classroom. As a student at KIPP Bridge College Prep, Crystal maintained a 4.0 GPA, placing her on the High Honor Roll four years in a row, and won second place at the school’s Science Fair and first place in the school’s spelling bee. When a teacher stepped down from leading the school’s student newspaper, she volunteered as Editor-in-Chief, rallying her journalism class to keep the paper running. She is also a talented actress and dancer, participating in school theatrical and dance productions.

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

• Dr. Neeley, Sociologist

Dear Crystal,

You are to be commended and lifted up for the broader Oakland Bay Area to see. Congratulations a hundredfold.

You exemplify what school should be about.

Hold onto your dreams,
    Beverly Neeley, Sociologist/Co-founder
    Image of the Mind, Inc.
    Dallas, TX