Gary Bogue

« | »

Comforting thoughts that help you when a pet dies

Do you have any poems or prayers to share that bring comfort to people (and you) when a pet dies? Below is a wonderful piece called "Rainbow Bridge" that has helped many people over the years. Click on "Comments" at the end to add your own comments and/or favorite special prayers/poems.

These are special thoughts we all need to share.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called The Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to The Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross The Rainbow Bridge together …

– author unknown

Posted by on October 12, 2005.

Categories: Animals, death, Pets

13 Responses

1. As a human who has been owned by 10 cats at one time, I now have but two. These words have helped with the grief each time one of my beloved friends have passed. I hope it can do the same for others who adore our feline companions.

Lorrie

Poem For Cats

And She asked the feline spirit
    Are you ready to come home?
    Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
    And, as a cat, you know I am most able
    To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked The Spirit
    Soon, replied the whiskered angel
    But I must come slowly
    For my human friends are troubled
    For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don’t they understand? asked The Spirit
    That you’ll never leave them?
    That your souls are intertwined, for all eternity?
    That nothing is created or destroyed?
    It just is…forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
    Replied the glorious cat
    For I will whisper into their hearts
    That I am always with them
    I just am…forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

by Lorrie Morris on Oct 13, 2005 at 8:20 am

2. Gary, I found this poem at the petloss.com website. It has many healing and inspirational poems to view. I used this poem for an album of photos when our beloved Figaro passed away.

Remember Our Love

I was chosen today
    I’m learning to fly
    the world took me away,
    but please don’t you cry.

And I chose you today
    to try and be strong
    so please don’t you cry
    and don’t say that I’m gone.

When you’re feeling alone
    just remember our love,
    I’m near the stars
    looking down from above.

Remember our love
    In a moment you’ll see
    that I’m still here beside you
    when you’re thinking of me.

Author: Julie Epp

I think this will give comfort to someone who has lost a beloved pet.

Lucia Minor

by Lucia Minor on Oct 13, 2005 at 8:38 am

3. If there is no dogs in heaven…I’m not going in!

by Maureen Senoff on Oct 13, 2005 at 9:16 am

4. We Have A Secret

We have a secret, you and I
    that no one else shall know,
    for who but I can see you lie
    each night in fire glow?
    And who but I can reach my hand
    before we go to bed
    and feel the living warmth of you
    and touch your silken head?
    And only I walk woodland paths
    and see ahead of me,
    your small form racing with the wind
    so young again, and free.
    And only I can see you swim
    in every brook I pass
    and when I call, no one but I
    can see the bending grass.

Author Unknown

by Pat in Antioch on Oct 14, 2005 at 9:30 am

5. When my canary, Mr. Hippity, passed away, a dear friend sent this to me. Although the story is about a canary, the message rings true…right to the heart for any living species.

Jill
    Castro Valley

“Look, Platero, see? The children’s canary has died today, in its silver cage… It’s true that the poor thing was very old… you remember, last winter? The bird spent it silent, with its head hidden in its feathers.”

“Then, in the spring, when the sun shone though the sitting room open to the garden where the best and sweetest smelling roses bloomed, it also tried to assume new life, and greet the spring with its song, but its voice was fragile and asthmatic, like the voice of a broken flute.”

“The older of the children, who had been caring for it, was quick to say, tearfully, on seeing the bird stiff at the bottom of its cage, that it wasn’t for lack of food or water that it had died.”

“No, Platero,” said Campoamor, another old canary, “it died because it was its own time.”

“Platero, is there a paradise for birds? Is there, somewhere, a green turfed garden roofed with the bluest of skies, adorned with golden-flowered rosebushes, and the souls of white, pink, blue, and yellow birds?”

“Listen… at night, you, I and the children will take the dead bird down to the garden. The moon will be full, and under its pale silver light, our poor singer, laying in Bianca’s candid hand, will look like the languid yellowish petal of a lily. There we will bury it in the ground at the feet of a large rosebush.”

“In the Spring, Platero, we shall look to see the bird’s soul shining from the heart of a white rose. The fragrant air will be reminiscent of canaries, and by the time April’s sun shines, it will be an enchanted wanderer on invisible wings, its presence known only by its secret trickle of clear voiced trills, sung in tones of purest gold…”

by Jill on Oct 15, 2005 at 10:35 am

6. Hearing Silence

Morning has come
    overcast and cold
    The hummers are starting
    to work their feeders
    drink from the waterfall

Soon there will be squirrels
    raiding the seed feast
    I leave for the birds
    though they have their own feeder
    but something is missing

A small black Scottie dog
    named Abigail
    joined our family ten years ago
    shared her joyful heart
    made us her pack along with Cody
    the sable and white Sheltie

Though always amusing and social
    she took her job seriously
    guarding the pond and birdfeeders
    with terrier tenacity
    chasing squirrels and stray cats
    but never harming them

Her loss has brought
    new quiet to the yard
    her joyful bark and Snoopy like
    chatter have been silenced
    as her yard mate, Cody
    grieves in his canine way

It is always amazing
    an animal can work its way
    into your heart
    into your life
    into the sounds that mean home
    love and contentment

B. J. Britton
    January 2005

by B. J. Britton on Oct 15, 2005 at 11:35 am

7. Hi Gary! Long time reader, first time blogger! :) This is a beautiful little story which was posted on the Pet Bereavement board I help out on. It helps to explain why we won’t be seeing our angels… for a little while. (this is a little webpage I created to help tell the story)

“The Story of the Dragonfly”
    Down below the surface of a quiet pond lived a little colony of water bugs. They were a happy colony, living far away from the sun. For many months they were very busy, scurrying over the soft mud on the bottom of the pond. They did notice that every once in awhile one of their colony seemed to lose interest in going about. Clinging to the stem of a pond lily it gradually moved out of sight and was seen no more.
    “Look!” said one of the water bugs to another. “one of our colony is climbing up the lily stalk. Where do you think she is going?” Up, up, up it slowly went….Even as they watched, the water bug disappeared from sight. Its friends waited and waited but it didn’t return…

“That’s funny!” said one water bug to another. “Wasn’t she happy here?” asked a second… “Where do you suppose she went?” wondered a third. No one had an answer. They were greatly puzzled. Finally one of the water bugs, a leader in the colony, gathered its friends together. “I have an idea”. “The next one of us who climbs up the lily stalk must promise to come back and tell us where he or she went and why.”
    “We promise”, they said solemnly.

One spring day, not long after, the very water bug who had suggested the plan found himself climbing up the lily stalk. Up, up, up, he went. Before he knew what was happening, he had broke through the surface of the water and fallen onto the broad, green lily pad above.

When he awoke, he looked about with surprise. He couldn’t believe what he saw. A startling change had come to his old body. His movement revealed four silver wings and a long tail. Even as he struggled, he felt an impulse to move his wings…The warmth of the sun soon dried the moisture from the new body.

He moved his wings again and suddenly found himself up above the water. He had become a dragonfly!!

Swooping and dipping in great curves, he flew through the air. He felt exhilarated in the new atmosphere. By and by the new dragonfly lighted happily on a lily pad to rest. Then it was that he chanced to look below to the bottom of the pond. Why, he was right above his old friends, the water bugs! There they were scurrying around, just as he had been doing some time before.

The dragonfly remembered the promise: “the next one of us who climbs up the lily stalk will come back and tell where he or she went and why.” Without thinking, the dragonfly darted down. Suddenly he hit the surface of the water and bounced away. Now that he was a dragonfly, he could no longer go into the water…

“I can’t return!” he said in dismay. “At least, I tried. But I can’t keep my promise. Even if I could go back, not one of the water bugs would know me in my new body. I guess I’ll just have to wait until they become dragonflies too. Then they’ll understand what has happened to me, and where I went.”

And the dragonfly winged off happily into it’s wonderful new world of sun and air…….

(author, sadly unknown)

by Lin, Whisper's Mom on Oct 16, 2005 at 10:45 am

8. SORRY,GUYS, POEMS JUST MAKE ME CRY AFTER I LOSE A PET. ONLY TIME HELPS, JUST LIKE LOSING A HUMAN FRIEND. ACKNOWLEDGE THE LOSS, NEVER SAY “I KNOW IT WAS JUST A (CAT, DOG, HORSE, PIG,HAMSTER, SNAKE ETC) BECAUSE A LIFE IS A LIFE. ITS OK TO GRIEVE FOR AN ANIMAL! AFTER ALL, WE GRIEVE FOR OUR LOSS OF A FRIEND, NOT THE FRIEND WHO IS GONE. THEY ARE IN A “BETTER PLACE”. ALSO, DO YOUR BEST BY ALL YOUR FRIENDS WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND, BECAUSE THE GUILT OF NOT DOING SO IS THE CRUELEST PAIN OF ALL.

by LIZ on Oct 25, 2005 at 4:37 pm

9. A man & his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it occurred to him that he was dead, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He was wondering where the road was leading them.
    After awhile, they came to a high, white stone wall that looked like fine marble.It lead them to a magnificent gate that looked like mother of pearl, and a street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He & his dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk.
    When he got close enough, he called out, “Excuse me, where are we?”
    “This is HEAVEN, sir” the man answered.
    “Wow, Would you happen to have some water?” the man asked.
    “Of course, sir. Come on in, and I’ll have some ice water brought right up.”
    The man gestured, and the gate began to open.
    “Can my friend come in to?” gesturing toward his dog.
    “I’m sorry, sir, but we don’t accept pets.”
    The man thought for a moment, then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.
    They then came across a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked like it had never been closed. There was no fence.
    As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree, reading a book.
    “Excuse me!” he called to the man. “Do you have any water?”
    “Yeah, sure, ther’s a pump over there, come on in.”
    “How about my friend here?” he gestured toward his dog.
    “There should be a bowl by the pump.”
    They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.
    The traveler filled the water bowl for his dog, then took a long drink himself.
    When they were full, he and his dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
    “What do you call this place?” the traveler asked.
    “This is HEAVEN”, he answered.
    “Well thats confusing,” the traveler said. “The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.”
    “Oh, you mean the place with the gold street & pearly gates?” Nope. Thats Hell.”
    “Doesn’t it make you mad for them to use your name like that?”
    “No, we’re just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their “best friends” behind.

by Maureen Senoff on Feb 20, 2006 at 7:11 pm

10. The Journey

When you bring a pet into your life, you begin a journey. A journey that will bring you more love and devotion than you have ever known, yet will also test your strength and courage. If you allow, the journey will teach you many things, about life, about yourself, and most of all, about love. You will come away changed forever, for one soul cannot touch another
    without leaving its mark.

Along the way, you will learn much about savoring life’s simple pleasures — jumping in leaves, snoozing in the sun, the joys of puddles, and even the satisfaction of a good scratch behind the ears. If you spend much time outside, you will be taught how to truly experience every element, for no rock, leaf,
    or log will go unexamined, no rustling bush will be overlooked, and even the very air will be inhaled, pondered, and noted as being full of valuable informat ion.

Once we walk as a dog does, we discover a whole new world. We stop; we browse the landscape, we kick over leaves, peek in tree holes, look up, down, all around. And we learn what any dog knows that nature has created
    a marvelously complex world that is full of surprises, that each cycle of the seasons bring ever changing wonders, each day an essence all its own,
    each day a gift from God.

From your pet, you will learn the true measure of love. The steadfast, undying kind that says, “It doesn’t matter where we are or what we do, or how life treats
    us as long as we are together.”

Respect this always. It is the most precious gift any living soul can give another. You will not find it often among the human race. And you will learn humility. Such joy and love. A dog sees not some flawed human who could be cross and stubborn, moody or rude, but only her wonderful companion. Or maybe she saw those things and dismissed them as mere human foibles, not worth considering, and so chose to love us anyway.

If you pay attention and learn well, when the journey is done, you will be not just a better person, but the person your pet always knew you to be. The one they were proud to call beloved friend.

This journey is not without pain. Like all paths of true love, the pain is part of loving. For as surely as the sun sets, one day your dear animal companion will follow a trail you cannot yet go down. And you will have to find the strength and love to let them go.

A pet’s time on earth is far too short, especially for those that love them. We borrow them, really, just for a while, and during these brief years they are generous enough to give us all their love, every inch of their spirit and heart, until one day there is nothing left.

Deep down we somehow always knew that this journey would end. We knew that if we gave our hearts they would be broken. But give them we must for it is all they ask in return. When the time comes, and the road curves ahead to a
    place we cannot see, we give one final gift and let them run on ahead, young and whole once more. “God speed, good friend,” we say, until our journey comes full circle and our paths cross again.

And bless their souls for sharing their lives with us… and adding so much to our very existence.

by Maureen Senoff on Sep 26, 2007 at 7:21 pm

11. We lost our beloved dog Max on Aug 12 @10:30am,This was a unexpected death. He was 12yrs old never ill and on aug 6th he collapsed in our front yard and peed while he was out cold, he came to afew seconds later I thought a seizure no history of that. Then he seemed ok alittle lazy but he was up and at it, eat his dinner like normal. So it happend again so we rushed him to the vet, xrays showed a inlarged heart and lungs with fluild, put him on meds they seemed to work alittle then he got worse, rushed him back to the vet they wanted him to get a echocartigram at another vertinarian so we rushed him there a hour away. He was having a hard time breathing they could’nt do the test unless he was stable so when they carried him back there i could not go with him they said no, well he was put down so he could walk on the scale for his weight which they had all the paper work i bought, he then collapsed and they put a tube down his throat to give him oxogen and his heart had stopped also, they came to me and said that he was not with us anymore i said leave him alone no more let him go. did he die because i was not with him ? yes i feel that way and its killing me….. My other dog is a female and she is waiting and looking for him they have been together since she was 8 weeks old she is 10 yrs old now. Please help me i don’t know how i will get threw this.

by Cathey on Aug 14, 2008 at 3:38 pm

12. wow, that was intense, just lost my best friend maxxwell and im miserable without him. i loved him so much, and i always will….
    Sincerely,
    Christopher

by Christopher on Aug 14, 2008 at 3:41 pm

13. Nice web site.Very very good.

by Elting on Nov 7, 2010 at 11:20 pm