Part of the Bay Area News Group

Xylitol can be toxic to dogs

By Gary Bogue
Friday, August 25th, 2006 at 1:55 pm in dogs, Toxic.

Products sweetened with xylitol, a sweetener found in lots of sugar-free products (candy, gum, etc.) can be toxic to pets.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center has issued a warning to pet owners that xylitol can cause serious problems for companion canines.

You can find out more at: http://www.aspca.org/site/R?i=yBeqEObv13N8RyE-HKESQA

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

2 Responses to “Xylitol can be toxic to dogs”

  1. Tracey Chasmine Says:

    Hi, Is xylitol toxic to chickens? My daughter has show chicks and we sometimes feed them scraps…

    Thanks..

  2. Gary Bogue Says:

    Tracey:
    I can find no information related to xtlitol and chickens. It’s bad for dogs, and although there is also no info on how cats react to the stuff, there’s some concern. So the bottom line here is, I wouldn’t feed it to your chickens … just in case. You can’t be too careful, especially these days it seems, about what you feed your pets. Thanks for writing. /Gary

Leave a Reply