Part of the Bay Area News Group

A sticky situation

By Gary Bogue
Friday, September 8th, 2006 at 7:24 am in dogs, Pet First Aid, Poison.

This Pet Poison Alert from the ASPCA’s weekly e-mail newsletter:

"Imagine this scenario: a young boxer pup gets into a tube of polyurethane glue, accidentally left out when his owners were doing home repairs. By the next morning the pup is vomiting, and his abdomen is swollen and tender. A visit to the veterinarian reveals that the expanding adhesive did just that — expand — in the dog’s stomach, turning into a hard, solidified mass requiring emergency surgery.

"But what’s really astounding? The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is seeing more and more cases just like this one."

For more details on this sticky problem, visit the ASPCA Web site:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_newsalert#1

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

2 Responses to “A sticky situation”

  1. Pat in Antioch Says:

    I know how easy it is to get distracted & forget to put something away, but it can be disasterous, can’t it? I’ve always thought of my guys as perpetual toddlers…..if your kids shouldn’t get their hands on it, your pets shouldn’t either!! (Of course, there WAS Sebastian the collie who was tall enough to reach the top of the stove & INHALE a prime rib as we walked our guests to their car, but that’s another (expensive) story (think pancreatitis!)!!

    As far as this problem goes, I wonder if, since it appears to be a growing one, manufacturers could make the smell less attractive to pets……

    Pat in Antioch

  2. Mike "troll" Dame Says:

    arg they moved the article to
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=press_090506

Leave a Reply