Part of the Bay Area News Group

Thanksgiving and your pets

By Gary Bogue
Tuesday, November 21st, 2006 at 8:20 am in Pets, Thanksgiving.

I’m taking a Thanksgiving break and will be back on Nov. 27. In the meantime, here are some things to keep in mind about pets and Thanksgiving:

1. Thanksgiving is for humans, not pets. We spend all year feeding our animal companions relatively bland diets. If you let your dogs and cats have treats of rich turkey tidbits and spicy foods, or you let them lick the fat or gravy off pans and plates, you can end up with sick animals.

2. Be extra careful to dispose of the greasy string that holds your roasting turkey together. It can cause choking or intestinal blockage if swallowed by a pet. (Make sure the lid on your outside garbage can is fastened securely so hungry wild animals can’t reach that tasty string.)

3. Salmonella (food poisoning) bacteria is usually killed by cooking, but turkeys are often undercooked. Unrefrigerated food left sitting out all afternoon while you visit with guests should be dumped into the garbage, and not into pet dishes.

4. Poultry bones are dangerous for pets to eat. The hollow bones shatter easily, and sharp pieces can pierce the intestines.

5. Don’t forget that chocolate is bad for dogs and cats. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to these animals.

6. Your pets might enjoy the quiet confines of a back bedroom if visiting grandchildren get too frisky.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! See you next Tuesday!

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

2 Responses to “Thanksgiving and your pets”

  1. Dave Says:

    I made the mistake of leaving a box of See’s candy as a present under my sister’s chritmas tree one year. It was very cold one night so the family dog was allowed to sleep inside. This dog (a big golden retriever) found the gift wrapped box of candy under the tree, pulled the box out, ripped off the gift wrap, tore open the box and ate every piece of chocolate see’s candy in the box. The next morning showed one normally behaving dog (wagging it’s tail) and dozens of empty candy wrappers scattered everywhere! I guess this dog was ‘chocolate immune’?

  2. DeeDee Says:

    Before I knew any better I used to give pieces of chocolate to my dogs! Domage! They didn’t die or choke or got sick, that I know of,but they got hyper, and you don’t want Jack Russels to be even more hyper than they normally are. Now, several dogs later, I’ve mixed breed beauties that get the perfect diet, no leftovers, strictly dog food or dog food cooked at home by Mom (me)
    They are healthy and their coats shine.
    When we ate animals I usually gave my dogs heaps of leftover turkey and, invariably, they gave them back to me within minutes. Never again, now I don’t even eat chocolate because in my old age it makes me hyper!
    Dogs have different fat requirements and they should not be allowed to eat the cats’ food either! It makes for very unpleasant emissions! Yikes!

Leave a Reply