Part of the Bay Area News Group

STAY COOL!

By Gary Bogue
Friday, June 22nd, 2007 at 7:23 am in hummingbirds.

Keep your hummingbird feeders OUT of the sun!
You don’t want your back yard hummers to stick their beaks into boiling HOT nectar the next time they come to feed. It could scald those little flying flowers … and even kill them.

There are a number of ways to deal with the problem of hot hummingbird feeders.

** Make sure the feeder stays in the shade. Remember, the sun moves.

** Change the nectar frequently. When the weather is hot it doesn’t take long for the sugary nectar to go bad.

** If there’s a heat wave and it’s REALLY hot, take your feeder(s) down and out of use until the heat wave passes. Hummingbirds tend to visit feeders about 25 percent of the time and drink from flowers the other 75 percent, so there will be plenty for them to eat while your feeder is out of circulation for a few days.

Thanks for caring!

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

One Response to “STAY COOL!”

  1. Karen Says:

    OMGosh!!! What an idiot I am! This morning my hummer was hanging upside down from the plum tree still clinging on to the branch. My boyfriend thought it must have had a heart attack, which seemed unlikely to me…so, you must be right ’cause my feeder was in the sun!!! I should be arrested…sooo sad! First Farrah, then Michael, now my little hummer….crummy week! He used to come right up to my face and buzz me, the silly guy!

Leave a Reply