By Gary Bogue
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 at 7:08 am in dogs.
This should be very interesting to dog owners.
An interactive page on the National Geographic web site charts the harmful effects of canine chocolate consumption. You may think that chocolate is a treat for your pups, but what is sweet to us could actually be killing them.
Here are just a few of the eye-openers:
** 3 ounces of dark chocolate could bring on vomiting in a 50-pound dog.
** Seizures and tremors could result from just 5 ounces of baking chocolate in a 110-pound Rottweiler.
** 2 ounces of dark chocolate can lead to potential death in a Yorkshire terrier.
This comprehensive, easy-to-follow chart on the Nat Geo site tracks all dog sizes from a 3-pound pinscher to a 190-pound mastiff, educating you about your own dog’s specific response. Though many are aware of chocolate’s harm on dogs, most people have no clue as to the factors contributing to a dog’s reaction.
Weight of dog and the quantity and type of chocolate are key — and you need to know that.
Interactive chart on dogs and chocolate: