Part of the Bay Area News Group

Guess what happens when you try to pick up a rattlesnake?

By Gary Bogue
Thursday, June 12th, 2008 at 6:48 am in Rattlesnake.

rattler1

I spotted this little story on the Associated Press wire this morning:

INGLEWOOD, Calif. — A man is in good condition despite being bitten while trying to pick up a rattlesnake at an Inglewood park.

Police said the 22-year-old man had been drinking when he spotted the snake in the urban park south of Los Angeles Tuesday night.

The man told officers he was bitten on the hand when he tried to pick up the snake. He then put it in a bucket, put the bucket in a bag and put the bag in the trunk of his car.

Sgt. Juan Ferreira says the man then tried to drive himself to the hospital but became ill and called 911. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

The snake was killed.

Unfortunately the rattlesnake always gets killed in these situations. Sad. It should have been released back into the wild in an area where it would be unlikely to encounter another stupid drunk.

Statistics show that the majority of people who get bitten by poisonous reptiles in the U.S. were bitten because they were handling the poisonous snakes.

MORAL: Don’t handle poisonous snakes. Seems pretty simple to me. /Gary

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

No Responses to “Guess what happens when you try to pick up a rattlesnake?”

  1. Maggie Says:

    I have been to a couple of lectures on reptiles and rattlesnakes and when the topic of snake bite is reached the comment is always made that the majority of rattlesnake bites in the US are given to young, white, DRUNK, males! So why kill the snake? The snake was helping to clean up the gene pool and eliminate stupidity from the human race (as if!).

Leave a Reply