Gary Bogue

« | »

Help Obama and McCain pick a presidential pet!

Vice President isn’t the only high-level position that Barack Obama is currently trying to fill.

The American Kennel Club reports that win or lose the Obamas have promised their two daughters a dog after the presidential election. With 158 breeds registered by the AKC, each with its own unique temperament, coat type, size, energy level and appearance, the search for a canine cabinet member is on.

The Obama family will be adding a dog to their household for the first time, but according to an Associated Press survey, Republican Presidential nominee John McCain and his wife already have 24 pets, including four dogs. The McCain canines are an English springer spaniel named Sam, Two Yorkshire terriers named Lucy and Desi, and a mixed-breed named Coco. Making up the rest of the McCain menagerie are a cat, two turtles, a ferret, three parakeets and 12 saltwater fish.

The AKC has put together a list of dog suggestions for the Obamas, keeping in mind that their daughters have allergies. The AKC is therefore focusing on hypoallergenic breeds.

So why don’t the rest of us join the fun? Only let’s just don’t just leave it to the dogs. The sky’s the limit as far as I’m concerned.

Here’s the deal:

** OBAMA: What PET do you think most fits Obama if he is elected president?

** MCCAIN: What pet do you think most fits McCain if he is elected president?

And by “PET” I mean ANY animal … dog, cat, fish, reptile, insect, spider, dragon, giant squid, or whatever.

What do you think? Pick a presidential pet! /Gary

For more about the AKC’s list of dog candidates for Barack Obama and his family see http://www.presidentialpup.com

Posted by on July 7, 2008.

Categories: Animals, Cats, dogs, Pets, Presidential Pets

13 Responses

1. I would select a small non-shedding mixed breed for the Obamas.

by Paul on Jul 7, 2008 at 9:38 am

2. I would encourage both candidates’ families to go down to their local shelters, meet the critters there, and pick one (or more) with compatible personalities. Breed is mostly irrelevant, though issues like shedding do have to be considered. Not a good idea to greet high-ranking visitors with fur all over one’s clothes! But giving a shelter pet a new home is a very, very good example to set.

If they want a dog or dogs, though, they should remember that the First Family are busy people, and dogs need a pack leader to keep them in line. I suggest an assertive cat. :-)

by Karen on Jul 7, 2008 at 12:43 pm

3. The First Family might also keep a large tank of piranhas, to remind the President daily of the proclivities of lobbyists.

by Karen on Jul 7, 2008 at 12:45 pm

4. i could see McCain owning some scorpions, low maintenance ones since hes away allot

Obama on the other hand seems more a traditionalist and would go for a dog im sure

by Mike "troll" Dame on Jul 8, 2008 at 6:50 am

5. Karen’s suggestion on going to the shelter is an excellant one. It would be a good example for the country and the children of the candidates. Not to mention there are plenty of both cats and dogs that need good homes. Stay away from PUPPY MILLS!!!!!!

by Dave Lowerre on Jul 8, 2008 at 3:34 pm

6. Stay away from hamsters. They turn wheels to get nowhere fast. (Besides, we have one in office.).
    Nix on chameleons. Continuous change in appearance and stance. Also, an inability to look at you while talking because of continually moving eyeballs. (Besides, we have one in office.)
    Avoid parrots. [Currently] too repetitious of the minority party. (Besides, we have one in office.).
    Cuckoo bird? Notorious for laying its eggs in the nests of other birds, and abandoning them. (Besides, we have one in office.).
    Wolf pup… That’s a possibility. If raised properly, they often take on the personalities of their humans: docile, friendly, witty, protective, group-oriented. (To the best of my knowledge, there has never been one in office.).

by Barbara on Jul 9, 2008 at 7:36 am

7. This is a no brainer. Is there more then one breed of dog? When Obama becomes President he “should” choose a German German shepherd (as opposed to an Amercian German shepherd. They are smart, loyal and easy to please. And since German shepherds are the best guard dog an owner could ask for just imagine the money Obama would save on security.

by Carole on Jul 19, 2008 at 8:03 am

8. I would suggest a small dog like a shih tzu for the McCains. They are great inside dogs and would be perfect for the White House. As for The Obama’s, they should choose whatever dog has enough room to roam in their back yard in Illinois.

by Don Roberts on Jul 19, 2008 at 10:24 am

9. My vote would be for a labradoodle. They come in three sizes, and have the sweetest temperament imaginable. Mine is nearly four years old, and weighs 21 pounds. Non-shedding, very smart.

by Bob Ingle on Jul 19, 2008 at 10:39 am

10. Lets send a shelter dog to the White House! They should adopt – NOT buy their future dog. If you want to lead by example just think of the message that this will send by the family who takes residence in the White House. A petition urging the Obama family to adopt is found at obamafamilydog.com.

by Angela Norbeck on Jul 19, 2008 at 11:18 am

11. Barach needs to get a Miniature Schnauzer for this daughters. They are smart, full of energy and do not shed.

by Barbara Villers on Jul 21, 2008 at 7:01 am

12. Why is there an obsession about what kind of pet is in the White House? I’d rather devote the food and care necessary to maintain a pet instead to feeding and caring for the homeless or the elderly on fixed incomes.

by Why on Jul 21, 2008 at 11:30 am

13. I suggest a Yorkie Terrier Dog. It a small dog, allergic free. They are very good with children
    P.S. I have one and I have asthma which does not bother my health …. My best of luck with your choose

by Nancy Lopez on Nov 6, 2008 at 4:18 pm