Part of the Bay Area News Group

Pets & Heat: It’s too darn hot! Are your pets staying cool?

By Gary Bogue
Monday, June 29th, 2009 at 7:40 am in Hot Weather.

Sunrise on a hot day on Mount Diablo, by Brian Murphy, Walnut Creek, CA
sunrise1

IT’S BEEN TOO DARN HOT

Some things to keep in mind for dealing with future hot days:
** Make sure your pets have plenty of cool water.
** Do your pets have a cool place to stay out of the heat? Is there outside shade? How hot is it in the shade? (You may be surprised.)
** Keep pet water dishes out of the sun.
** Freeze water in plastic bottles so pets can lie next to them and stay cool.
** Indoor cats also need cool places to sleep. Bathtub bottoms are cool, so leave the bathroom door open.
** Rabbits are very sensitive to heat, so make sure there’s a frozen bottle of water in the cage.

Sunrise on a hot day on Mount Diablo, by Brian Murphy, Walnut Creek, CA
sunrise1

TAKING DOGS FOR WALKS IN HOT WEATHER
** Be aware of summer temperatures. In extreme heat, dogs need a lot of water, just like humans (so be sure and take a dish and some water on your walks).

** If the dog is panting, stop and rest in the shade. Remember: the dog is wearing a fur coat. Also, be aware of the time of day. Asphalt is too hot for a dog’s foot pads in high summer temperatures (check the pavement to make sure it’s not too hot).

** Extreme heat will cause the foot pads to blister. Very early walks or very late are advisable. Even better: Back off on the walks until the weather cools down.

PETS IN CARS WHEN IT’S HOT
** Do not take your pets with you in the car on hot days. And DEFINITELY do not leave your pet alone in the car, even for a minute. It could be dead when you get back.

SIGNS OF PET OVERHEATING
** Signs of pet overheating include excessive panting, glazed eyes, acting disoriented, vomiting and/or a deep red or purple tongue. If your pet has any of these symptoms, give it a cool bath and get it to your vet as soon as possible for assistance. You may also want to call your vet for advice.

** Check your pets regularly!

STAY COOL!
Keep your hummingbird feeders out of the sun!

You don’t want your backyard hummers to stick their beaks into boiling hot nectar the next time they come to feed. It could scald those little flying flowers — and even kill them.

There are a number of ways to deal with the problem of hot hummingbird feeders:
** Make sure the feeder stays in the shade. Remember, the sun moves.
** Change the nectar frequently. When the weather is hot it doesn’t take long for the sugary nectar to go bad.
** If there’s a heat wave and it’s really hot, take your feeder(s) down and out of use until the heat wave passes.

Hummingbirds visit feeders about 25 percent of the time and drink from the flowers in your yard the other 75 percent, so there is plenty for them to eat while your feeder is out of circulation for a few days.

Thanks for caring! /Gary

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

No Responses to “Pets & Heat: It’s too darn hot! Are your pets staying cool?”

  1. Morgan Says:

    Gary,

    Hi, I have a new bunny. He gets very hot outside. What should I do??

    Its a male bunny. I also would like to know if you would have the bunny fixed? He’s 6 months old. People have been telling me that the bunny will live longer.Is that True??
    MORGAN

Leave a Reply