Part of the Bay Area News Group

Bones are unsafe for your dog!

By Gary Bogue
Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 at 7:48 am in dogs.

No Bones About It: Bones are Unsafe for Your Dog

The idea that it’s natural for dogs to chew on bones is a popular one.

However, the Food and Drug Administration announced on Wednesday that it’s a dangerous practice and can cause serious injury to your pet. If you have a dog, you better read this. /Gary

Here are 10 reasons why the FDA says it’s a bad idea to give your dog a bone:

Photo by Flickr user Ashnikov used under a Creative Commons License.
dog, bone, Ashnikov

1. Broken teeth. This may call for expensive veterinary dentistry.

2. Mouth or tongue injuries. These can be very bloody and messy and may require a trip to see your veterinarian.

3. Bone gets looped around your dog’s lower jaw. This can be frightening or painful for your dog and potentially costly to you, as it usually means a trip to see your veterinarian.

4. Bone gets stuck in esophagus, the tube that food travels through to reach the stomach. Your dog may gag, trying to bring the bone back up, and will need to see your veterinarian.

5. Bone gets stuck in windpipe. This may happen if your dog accidentally inhales a small enough piece of bone. This is an emergency because your dog will have trouble breathing. Get your pet to your veterinarian immediately!

6. Bone gets stuck in stomach. It went down just fine, but the bone may be too big to pass out of the stomach and into the intestines. Depending on the bone’s size, your dog may need surgery or upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, a procedure in which your veterinarian uses a long tube with a built-in camera and grabbing tools to try to remove the stuck bone from the stomach.

7. Bone gets stuck in intestines and causes a blockage. It may be time for surgery.

8. Constipation due to bone fragments. Your dog may have a hard time passing the bone fragments because they’re very sharp and they scrape the inside of the large intestine or rectum as they move along. This causes severe pain and may require a visit to your veterinarian.

9. Severe bleeding from the rectum. This is very messy and can be dangerous. It’s time for a trip to see your veterinarian.

10. Peritonitis. This nasty, difficult-to-treat bacterial infection of the abdomen is caused when bone fragments poke holes in your dog’s stomach or intestines. Your dog needs an emergency visit to your veterinarian because peritonitis can kill your dog.

You can read the complete report about dogs and bones on the FDA’s website: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm208365.htm

You can find more FDA consumer updates on animals and veterinary medicine at: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm149147.htm

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

3 Responses to “Bones are unsafe for your dog!”

  1. Annie :) Says:

    Wow I never knew this. Who ever thought bones are bad for your dogs

  2. june lee Says:

    WARNING: CUZ almost killed my great dane puppy. Please check out the following site:
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/pimpleball.asp
    On November 22, 2010, Bella, my almost 8 months puppy broke the squeaker of her new toy large Good Cuz and thus a hole was created. This hole turned out to be a powerful vacum and sucked up Bella’s tongue into the small hole. What the Cuz did to my Bella was exactly the same as the Pimple Ball did to Chai. Fortunately, Bella’s tongue is saved but poor Chai’s has been amputated. This whole incident was so distressful which I would not like to repeat it. I have already report the incident to the JW Pet company to request a recall of this dangerous toy from the market. IF THERE IS ALREADY A HOLE IN YOUR CUZ, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THROW IT ALWAY IMMEDIATELY.

  3. toddler bags under eyes Says:

    Fine web page!

Leave a Reply