Many wild creatures living in the urban interface are impacted by eating poisoned rodents. That includes coyotes, bobcats, gray foxes, great horned owls, barn owls, red-tailed hawks, red-shouldered hawks, and raccoons, just to name a few.
I looked at some d-con for mice off the shelf at Rite-Aid. Near the bottom of the label under Environmental Hazards: “Predatory and scavenging mammals and birds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait.”
But who reads labels these days.
The Victor Fast-Kill rodent poison just says “it may take 2 or more days from the time of bait consumption for these rodents to die.” They say you can use the stuff indoors or outdoors! The box says nothing about secondary poisoning.
Native Bird Connections already has educational information on their website regarding “one feeding kills” rat and mouse poison that’s available in stores everywhere. You can read more about this at
So we just need to direct people’s attention to the subject.
Brian Murphy, Walnut Creek, Calif.
Thanks for the information, especially the link to the Native Bird Connections website (read down to the bottom of the page to get to details on the secondary effects of rodent poison).
People need to read about this and be aware that it IS NOT A GOOD THING to use these nasty poisons for any reason!
Another thing: Rats and mice will sometimes pick up pieces of poison bait and carry them away and leave them in another area. The “other area” may be a spot where the poison can be found by pets and/or children.
Bottom line here: Don’t use poisons. /Gary