Gary Bogue

« | »

Wild Turkeys! They’re taking over!

Wild turkeys on roof. Photo by Gene Nokes, Dublin, CA
turkeys gene nokes dublin

Gary:
I just returned from my morning walk to find my home and yard visited by a flock of wild turkeys.  This was a big surprise as nothing like this has ever occurred before and we have lived in Dublin since 1979.  My neighbor said she counted 30 birds in all on our roof.  They made quite a thump when they jumped down from the top roof to the first floor roof. (My buddy wanted to know if they came to visit the “turkeys” that lived in the house!)
Gene Nokes, Dublin, California

Gene:
Seems like I’m hearing about more and more wild turkeys every day. The Rossmoor retirement community in Walnut Creek, CA, has hundreds of wild turkeys roaming around in several flocks. It will be interesting to see where all this leads.

I’m curious. Will everyone who reads this who has wild turkeys in the neighborhood where you live please leave a reply/comment below which lists the approx. number of turkeys, the town and nearest cross streets where they are? Let’s see if we can get some sort of count on what’s out there. That will be interesting. Thanks. /Gary

Posted by on March 2, 2011.

Categories: wild turkeys

15 Responses

1. We have a flock of turkeys here in Hercules on Midship. They are sometimes pretty noisy in the morning!

by Ray Lowe on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

2. San Ramon around Alcosta and Montevideo. A flock of around 40 hangs here and roams the surrounding blocks. There’s another flock up the street by the San Ramon Hospital.

by Tom Turkey on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:49 am

3. Rossmoor Rockledge Lane – It’s not unusual to see 30 or more turkeys roaming around – stopped counting at 50 on several occasions. Sanitation is the worst issue – their droppings make it a chore for bipeds to navigate the walkways, to say nothing about our four-legged companions and those with walkers. We also don’t seem to see the deer as much, though that may be because of the season. Geese may also become a problem – hear that the golfers are complaining about them and you can hear them land on the roofs with a thud from distance – I wonder what it must sound like when you’re inside?

by Alan on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:50 am

4. Hi Gary,
    I just moved from El Cerrito to Pinole. In El Cerrito recently, there were about a dozen young wild turkeys at the Castro School park at Gladys St. and Everett St. BTW, a friend told me to give them a wide berth, as they can be more aggressive than geese.
    (A goose once chased me onto the trunk of the nearest car!) Is that true?

Thanks,
    Ann

by Ann Williams on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:09 am

5. Alamo Creek area in Dublin. A friend and I saw a flock with at least 75 turkeys. And I believe there are other smaller flocks in the area, too.

by Glenda Leatherman on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

6. I have lived in the area for 25 years and seen plenty of Turkeys on the Round Hill Golf Course, but this morning I saw my first Turkey on Las Trampas Rd in Alamo. I think we was heading to Starbucks.

by David in Alamo on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

7. There was a small flock of wild turkeys (maybe 10 or 12) walking in the middle of Grissom Street, near Armstrong Court, in Hercules on Sunday morning.

by Ruth on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

8. More turkey eaters may start hanging around. There are a dozen or more Turkeys that hang around my residence a couple of miles east of Rossmoor.
    To my utter amazement I recently spotted a Northern Goshawk (not a a Cooper’s hawk way to big). I suspect he was looking for a Thanksgiving meal.

by Dave on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:19 pm

9. We see 30 turkeys here in Moraga sometimes on the roof and other times stopping traffic or out in open space areas. The streets are Sullivan and Arroyo and Ivy drive. They are also in other areas of Moraga.

by Nancy Schick on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm

10. Ours in unincorporated San Pablo/El Sobrante. I think the same flock travels from Raleys along the hillside over to Alpine Road. Our flock here is relatively small at about 10-12 turkeys. I think there must be more tho’. Last September/October a mother with 12 little ones was nearby. Those 12 have to be with others now.

by Diane S. on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm

11. I frequently see flocks of turkeys when I am in Briones and Bear Creek Road area. I usually see anywhere from 5 to 20 at a time, depending on if they have youngsters. I have lived in the Bay Area all my life and I wonder when and where did this population get started? I don’t remember seeing them around when I was a child.

by Sally W on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm

12. I live in Benicia. I saw about 18 just off of E. 2nd St. (no time for an accurate count since I was driving.)

by gail on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm

13. My boyfriend and I have seen one turkey (not sure if it’s been the same one) four or five times in San Pablo on Brookside Drive near 23rd Street. We wonder if it’s part of the flock that lives in Wildcat Canyon Regional Park in the Richmond hills, a mile or so away. We’ve seen half a dozen to two dozen turkeys at a time in Wildcat.

by Marla on Mar 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm

14. Gary,
    A wild turkey sighting at Concord Community Park today. They ran down the street, through my backyard and into the trees at the Park. There were two of them. I also spotted a wild turkey that had been run over on Galindo Street in Concord near Concord Bart today. What’s with all these wild turkeys? I’ve lived next to the park for over 30 years and have never seen any turkeys.

by Kristin on Mar 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm

15. We have a few too. My Doberman killed one, I show a few and ran one over with my SUV. They can get really aggressive.

by Martin Hepe on May 27, 2011 at 7:28 pm