This Pet Poison Alert from the ASPCA’s weekly e-mail newsletter:
"Imagine this scenario: a young boxer pup gets into a tube of polyurethane glue, accidentally left out when his owners were doing home repairs. By the next morning the pup is vomiting, and his abdomen is swollen and tender. A visit to the veterinarian reveals that the expanding adhesive did just that — expand — in the dog’s stomach, turning into a hard, solidified mass requiring emergency surgery.
"But what’s really astounding? The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is seeing more and more cases just like this one."
For more details on this sticky problem, visit the ASPCA Web site:
Posted on Friday, September 8th, 2006
Under: dogs, Pet First Aid, Poison | 2 Comments »
Berkeley-East Bay Humane Society is offering a special two-hour Pet First Aid discussion to prepare pet caretakers for pet medical emergencies. It takes place next Wednesday, March 22, 7-9 p.m., in the BEBHS Training Room, 2700 Ninth Street, Berkeley, CA.
Through video and hands-on instruction, this session prepares you to act with confidence in an emergency and apply basic first aid measures until your pet can get veterinary care. One goal of the class is to help remove those feelings of helplessness in dealing with an injured pet, and to teach you preventive measures that will lessen the chance of injury or illness.
More details at www.berkeleyhumane.org or 510-845-7735, ext. 22. The Pet First Aid class is free, although a $10 donation is appreciated to support abandoned animals at BEBHS. (Mim Carlson, executive director, BEBHS)
Posted on Thursday, March 16th, 2006
Under: Education, Pet First Aid, Pets | 2 Comments »