SAN LORENZO — A flag will be raised Sunday during a celebration to mark the 70th anniversary of this unincorporated community.
The San Lorenzo Village Volunteers are hosting the event at 1 p.m. May 18 at San Lorenzo Village Public Storage, 15951 Hesperian Blvd.
An excerpt from an Daily Review article that ran in the 1940s:
“With its more than 2200 occupied homes and 360 others under construction at present, San Lorenzo Village – the David D. Bohannon scientifically planned community as shown above-offers country living with city conveniences. The ground breaking ceremony on the site of the Village was held May 18, 1944, and the first track of 1329 residences was completed by Dec. 25 of that year – setting a record in wartime private residential construction in the building industry. War department and Navy officials told Mr. Bohannon they wanted housing – and immediatedly! They got it. At the right is shown a barren piece of land which was a section of the present Village site. Part of the land consisted of the famous Smyth ranch.”
The new flag was designed by San Lorenzo resident Marcy Weiss. The flag has ocean blue to represent the nearby San Francisco Bay and features the shape of a sunset. The town was named San Lorenzo in 1854.
The project was funded by the San Lorenzo Village Volunteers.