Sights and sounds, news and notes from Wednesday night’s training camp practice as relayed by Medianews Raiders beat writer Steve Corkran:
– LaMont Jordan, coming off a solid morning practice, sat out the evening session.
– Outside linebacker Thomas Howard missed the evening practice with an undisclosed ailment.
– Running back ReShard Lee was waived after he and the Raiders reached an injury settlement. Lee sustained a knee injury Tuesday.
– Tight end Tony Stewart switched to the No. 86 worn by tight end Randal Williams, an indication that Williams, who left the team Sunday, will not be back.
– Tackle Adrian Klemm, in camp on a tryout basis during the morning session, was signed to a contract. Klemm, 30 missed last season with an Achilles injury. He has appeared in 42 games since being drafted by New England in 2000.
– Chris Carr, Doug Gabriel and Johnnie Lee Higgins and Chris Johnson returned kickoffs in the first such drill in camp.
– The defense beat the offense in the linebackers vs. running backs blocking drill.
Highlights included Dominic Rhodes standing up Kirk Morrison and knocking him back before Morrison threw Rhodes to the ground. At that point, coach Lane Kiffin yelled, “Same two again.”
The ensuing matchup was a draw. However, after the series was tied at 6, Kiffin asked Rathman to throw out his best blocker and Martindale to produce his best linebacker.
Morrison triumphed in Rhodes vs. Morrison III to give the linebackers a 7-6 victory.
– Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp played quarterback in a one-on-one drill. Knapp completed several in a row, which prompted Martindale to yell, “There’s a reason he’s in coaching. Here comes the pick.”
Knapp promptly connected on an over-the-top pass to Rhodes for an 85-yard touchdown, with Rhodes beating linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski.
– Alvis Whitted caught a deep pass from Andrew Walter, despite tight coverage from Stuart Schweigert.
– Josh McCown threw a lead block on cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a run play in which Rhodes reversed his field and headed around the left end.
– Daunte Culpepper connected with Will Buchanon for a 47-yard touchdown on a well-thrown pass down the left sideline. Buchanon hauled in the long pass as defensive back Lavonne Rowan looked on.
Earlier, Culpepper delivered a 20-yard strike to Jerry Porter on a pass over the middle that drew oohs and aahs from teammates, with the force of the ball hitting Porter’s pads audible from the sideline.