Walker due in Alameda tonight


If Javon Walker is this hard to keep track of when the 2008 regular season begins, JaMarcus Russell will have himself a wide open receiver.

Tracing the steps of Walker over the past few days is tricky business, but according to coach Lane Kiffin, the wide receiver is supposed to arrive in Alameda and be examined by the team’s medical staff Wednesday night and be with the team Thursday on the final day of organized team activities.

Kiffin declined to get into specifics regarding Walker’s condition, but did say, “The information I have at this point is he’s going to be fine. Training camp won’t even be an issue.”

The Raiders team statement is as follows:

“We are aware that Javon Walker was the victrim of a robbery. We have been told that he will make a full recovery in the near future and resume his preparation for the 2008 NFL season. we will provide further updates as they become available.”

Earlier Wednesday, Kennard McGuire, the agent for Walker, said in a statement that Walker had been released from the hospital and was “recovering in a private environment.”

That came as a surprise to the Las Vegas Police Department. Officer Jose Montoya, speaking on behalf of Lt. Clint Nichols, said it was his information that Walker was still hospitalized as of Wednsday morning.

“The investigation remains ongoing, he’s been upgraded to stable condition and we’re following up leads,” Montoya said.

It is not clear whether Walker suffered an orbital fracture, as has been reported. Nor has the story printed by TheDirty.com, which gave an account of Walker describing what happened, been confirmed.

The Web site decribed itself as a “friend” of Walker, and attributed a wild, hard-to-believe-account of what happened to the wide receiver, who was staying at the Bellagio.

“I was just back at my room and at about 5:30 in the morning, I got a knock at the door, I opened it and three guys with guns were there, they cracked me in the head a few times knocking me unconscious,” Walker said “They then robbed me of everything I had, my watch, money, everything! Somehow they got me to the car and dropped me off in the street. That’s what happened.”

Kiffin was keeping details in house.

`All I can give you is I spoke to him, he’s doing well, and he’s on a plane, he’ll be on a plane this evening, back here,” Kiffin said.

Kiffin said he hoped the Walker experience would resonate with other players on the team.

“All we can do is educate them the best that we can,” Kiffin said. “We can’t babysit ‘em. We talk to them all the time about certain places to be, where not to be, and you guys have heard it a million times, not many good things happen after midnight.

“This is an example of that, I think, just talking to some of our players today, relaying the message from Javon to them, I think it’s a wakeup call to some of them, just to remind them about how dangerous it is out there in certain places and how much they have to think before they put themselves in situations.”

Russell said it was a lesson for players to “watch your surroundings, it could happen to anybody,” and recommended “that you always (take) somebody with you when you go places.”

More details to come regarding practice later today . . .

Agent Kennard McGuire said Walker was “recovering in a private environment.” An aide to McGuire, of MS World in Richmond, Texas, declined to say where Walker was staying.

“Javon looks forward to getting back to his family and teammates,” the statement said, “and is looking forward to the start of the upcoming season.”


Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer