Cable: No regrets about fake FG

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, December 1st, 2008 at 4:14 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News, notes and analysis from Tom Cable’s weekly press briefing Monday, the day after a 20-13 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs:

– Cable again stressed “full responsibility” for the fake field goal attempt which resulted in a 67-yard touchdown for the Chiefs’ Maurice Leggett, but didn’t second-guess himself.

“I don’t regret it. I don’t think you can,” Cable said. “Otherwise I don’t think you make it in the first place. So there’s no sense in doing that.”

– The Raiders coach faced the music with no sense of emotion either way, undertanding he was in the line of fire because the play didn’t work.

“It worked every time (in practice), and that’s the shame of it all,” Cable said. “But it’s like I mentioned a few weeks ago, if you take a chance like that and it works, everybody thinks you’re a genius. When it doesn’t everyone wants to chew on your butt.

“So chew.”

At the risk of biting off more than I can chew, you can’t compare the Janikowski fake to the one in which Jon Alston raced 22 yards as an upback against the Jets.

For one thing, Alston is a former high school running back, is extremely athletic and fast enough to have run down Reggie Bush while a linebacker/safety at Stanford. Janikowski is, well, Janikowski.

Another thing _ the Jets were better or equal to the Raiders, while the Chiefs most definitely were not. When the fake didn’t work against Kansas City, it provided life to the Chiefs.

– If the Janikowski fake worked every time the Raiders tried it during practice over the past two years, that doesn’t say much for whoever was playing the right edge during practice.

“Aw, man, Seabass got me again! C’mon coach, you’re killin’ us with that play!

– I realize I’m not looking at the play with a trained eye, but has anyone seen a replay that suggested that if Janikowski had caught the ball, he would have successfully run a good 17 yards (seven yards behind the line of scrimmage plust the 10 for the first down)?

Although he didn’t break out an overhead projector for purposes of demonstration, Cable apparently has.

When asked if Janikowski could have made the first down if the ball was handled cleanly, Cable said, “Yeah, because of the guy’s (Leggett’s) width, and that’s what we were counting on.”

– The recovery of veteran players such as Gerard Warren, Cornell Green and John Wade will be watched closely in practice as the Raiders must bounce back to play Thursday night in San Diego. Guard Cooper Carlisle, who left the game briefly with an ankle sprain, returned to finish the game and is expected to face the Chargers.

Players were not at the facility Monday, and will have a full day of practice Tuesday _ their usual day off. They have shorter practice Wednesday before departing for San Diego.

– Darren McFadden’s one-touch second half had a mostly to do with the Raiders inability to get off the field on defense, Cable said.

The Raiders had the ball for only 8:50 of the second half, with the Chiefs controlling it for 21:10.

“We really didn’t have the football in the second half,” Cable said. “Some of that was due to that, on the one-play, turnover series, we didn’t get any kind of rhythm in that second half where we could continue to do some of those things.”

It also could have played a hand in a young quarterback who was fell off badly in the second half in terms of accuracy. Russell was 3 of 13 for 29 yards.

“I think certainly when you’re young like that, you want the ball,” Cable said. “You want the ball. But for us, it’s when we get it, we have to do the right things with it, take care of it, move the ball, score points. So can that happen? Sure, it probably could. But you’d like to believe whenever we get it, we’ve got to take it and do the right thing.”

– The lost fumble by Justin Fargas was his first in 288 carries, dating back to last season’s game against the Chicago Bears at the Coliseum. Cable said there was no need to mention anything about the turnover to Fargas, who realized he was carrying the ball with his inside arm. (Fargas has fumbled but not lost possession).

“He carries the weight of this team on his shoulders,” Cable said. “He’s one of your bricks in your foundation. He’s the kind of guy that doesn’t say much, goes to work every day. He feels as bad as anybody today, so it’s not necessary.”

– The time of possesion issue hurt the offense in the second half, but Cable had no real quibble with the Raiders played defensively. Rob Ryan’s defense set up the only touchdown and gave up only 13 points.

“You always have to think about points allowed,” Cable said. “That’s what it is defensively. That’s how you evaluate your defense. They did a nice job that way. Obviously, you like to see them get out of a couple of those drives a little bit in terms of time of possession. But when you hold a team to that few of points, you have given your team a chance to win. That’s what you ask of them.”

– Cable on Lane Kiffin’s hiring at Tennessee: “He can move forward now. That’s what he should do and move to the next step in his career.”

– Cable said he talked to Al Davis, but didn’t reveal the substance of the conversation.

“We talked this morning. Like all of us he’s disappointed,” Cable said.“One thing he and I share is a tremendous passion for winning. Losing is about the worst thing in our lives. That’s what it
is.”

– Without anything in the standings to denote that the Raiders are officially out of the picture in terms of the playoffs, Cable is keeping that possibility open.

“We’re really not out of it. You keep having something to play for,” Cable said. “Everyone has had their issues. All four teams have had their issues in different ways, some it injuries, some of it just poor play. So we’re kind of all in this thing together and it’s just really whoever will sort it out best at the end.”

If that sounds possible, belly up to the Kool-aid bar and order a double.

MR STFU YOU IDIOT.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

MR is a waste of Time. Don’t listen to him 70′s, there isn’t a SINGLE blogger that gives a rats azz about this fool MR. He is a very strange individual who posts in here with approximately 15 or more nick names. He is quite creapy. It’s better to just avoid his wierdeness.

• MR

What does “Lame Sniffen” mean?

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

It means I smelled your mom, and SHE STINKS like your breath. What you been eatin, her?

• MR

Creepy is spelled with two “e”s, genius. And, what does “Sniffin” mean? What’s the gist of that?

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

HAHAHAAH MR WAS JUST OWNED. HAHAHAHAHA SUCKA.

• http://none Back to the 70′s

You own me now. I like how you feel so impowered. I never lied. I thought what I was saying to be true. I didn’t Wikepedia it. I was just retelling what I was told. I think it will interesting to see what you do with me now that you own me. Can I quit working and what time do I have to show up at your house to start my service.

• MR

It means you smelled my mom…wow, that was a solid comeback, Lame Sniffin. I get it. The name’s so retarded that you don’t even have an explanation for it. I thought it was a shot at Kiffin, but I just don’t know what “sniffin” refers to.

70′s:

May your father RIP my Raider brother.

MR typically tries to put others down on this blog, he isn’t a Raider fan, just ignore him. His sole purpose in life is to spend countelss hours on an Internet blog acting like a bully. When in real life 99% of us would drop this fool in person. Thats his gig, strange as it is, it’s his thing. Very odd.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

MR if I wanted to hear anything from you I would have farted, now STFU and go away loser boy.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

AHHAHA MR SUCKS THE BIG ONE. YEAH BABY.

• MR

Back To the ’70s, are you brain dead?

You did too lie.

You said Plunkett was NOT Chicano. Scroll up and see for yourself. You were asked for a source, and your sources are nothing short of a joke.

Your first source was that Plunkett never said he was Chicano, like he’s supposed to say, “Hi, I’m Jim, I’m Chicano”.

Your dad said so.

Your co workers said so. You’ve been in here for over an hour which means you’re not at work. So you’ve resorted to making up sources, too.

Then, when all else failed, you’d try to pull that “race doesn’t matter anyway” safety lever. Too late. Maybe you should have played that card BEFORE trying to lie about Plunkett’s ethnicity?

You’re owned. Bow out now because the more you try to make your case, the dumber you look.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

MR STFU. Nobody cares about you or what you say. You lie everyday. You lie to yourself that you are worth anything or meaningful to anyone. You are a clown who is hated by everyone. You have no life, and nobody likes you kid.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

MR SUCKS THE BIG ONE AGAIN. HE SHOOTS HE SCORES. MR OWNED.

• MR

Sniffen, “drop the fool in person”? Why are you talking tough over the internet?

Anyhow, what does “Sniffin” refer to? What’s the association with Kiffin? I’m sure it’s funny, but you won’t even explain it.

• Willie

MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 1:51 am
    You mean your quote, Willie? ^^^

See how easy this is, dickhead?
    …………..
    I knocked on your door last night. Where were you for me?

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

SUCKING THE BIG ONE MR IS AGAIN. HMMM YODA IS KING HE IS. AND MR SUCKS IT HE DOES. MMMMM

• MR

I guess you’re not going to explain what “sniffin” means. You’re name is so retarded you don’t even get it. “Lame” is actually clever. “Lame” Kiffin. LOL. That’s good. But “sniffin” is retarded, like you. Your name makes no sense yet begs for attention, hey, like you!

• raidersmaniac

this board is getting more rediculas by the day!

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

HA HA HA HA HE HE HE HE HAH AHAHAHA MR SUCKS Ha hahahaha
    __________________________________________________

Are you King of the blog now dude? geez!

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

MR SUCKS IT WITH A BIT OF PEANUT BUTTER.

AHHH HE SHOOTS HE SCORES. MR OWNED YET AGAIN.

• MR

Sniffin, why are you always talking about blow jobs and peanut butter? Like in every comment?

raidersmaniac Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:34 pm
    this board is getting more rediculas by the day!
    —————————————————-

Just like your spelling and gramamr home boy.

• MR

One has to wonder about your obsession with 3 things, evidenced by the consistency of you bringing them up in comments, Sniffin:

1) Lane Kiffin

2) blow jobs

3) peanut butter.

MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:36 pm
    —————————————————-

Hmm interesting MR. I think you just gave us a bit of information into your personal life. I NEVER mentioned BJ’s, YOU DID kid. What is on your mind? My my MR that was very revealing. Interesting. Though most of us guessed you were that type.

• CRANK SMOKER

the good news about our loss against the chefs is we will be that much closer to drafting a top 5 player in the draft next year. If we win thursday i will celebrate the win at the wu-tang clan concert this friday at the house of blues in downtown san diego!
    WU-TANG CLAN AIN’T NUTHIN TO FUK WITH!!

• MR

Then what were you referring to when you said “sucks it”, Sniffin? The back door? Fair enough. Why are you obsessed with licking assholes, peanut butter, and Lane Kiffin?

MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:38 pm

1) Lane Kiffin

2) blow jobs

3) peanut butter.
    ————————————-

Ahh yet again another revelation into the personal life of MR. Are those your favorite things in order?

I never mentioned your option number 2, you did kid.

WOW MR. WOW.

MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:40 pm
    —————————————————–

MR we are starting to get a clearer picture of you and your oddities. So based on your blog posts we now know a few of your favorite things:

1 – Lane Kiffin
    2 – BJ’s
    3 – Peanut Butter
    4- Azz licking

Quite the hobbies eh MR? lol

• MR

You said “sucks it”, Sniffin. The phrase “suck it” in American slang usually refers to blow jobs. But you were actually obsessing over guys licking peanut butter out of other guys asses, so I’m corrected.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

He shoots he scores. MR owned. Lol. Ouch that one hurt didn’t it MR.

• MR

Sniffin, you were the first one to say, “sucks it”. Scroll up and see for yourself. Sucks what? What were you referring to? Do you mean sucks, as in the Raiders have sucked badly since Gruden’s team fell apart? If that’s what you were talking about, say so.

MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:46 pm
    —————————————————

Hmm, never said anything like that, excpet “suck it”, and you are the one that turned it into you personal sexual desire, not me kid.

Where is your SOURCE regarding the term “suck it” in American slang. Post your source MR.

• unknown

MR is known for bieng a butt pirate

Post your source MR.

unknown Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:49 pm
    MR is known for bieng a butt pirate

—————————————————-

Oh yes, we all assumed as such. However, he just addmitted it in at least 3 or 4 various posts.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

Ahh MR left. Bye bye kid.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

For those of you just joining the conversation. Let me show you where we are at:

Repost 1:
    MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:36 pm
    —————————————————-

Repost 2:
    MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:38 pm

1) Lane Kiffin

2) blow jobs

3) peanut butter.
    ————————————-

I never mentioned your option number 2, you did kid.

WOW MR. WOW.

Repost 3:

MR Says:
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:46 pm
    —————————————————

Strange isn’t it. But, it is what we expect from this kid.

• Spider

I kind of liked that MR dude when I thought he was a NIner fan. Now that I find out he is really a fader fan I even like him more. He reminds me of fader nashun. Takes a beating and keeps on licking. :-)

• Senile King’s Aricept

…..Hopefully, the fact that our next President, Obama,who just happens to be black,…a breath of fresh air-long overdue…will not only help dispel the antiquated and vile notion that blacks,( or any other minorities), are intellectually inferior to whites,(…i.e.Black vs. White QB’s..), but also create the environment for several prominent black athletes ,(in the news lately ),to finally behave in a socially responsible manner, as they no longer have the built in selp-handicapping excuse to carry the chip on their shoulder the size of Conecticut- they now get to sit at the adult table….

That being said, although I’m rooting for Jamar-.I mean Chubbustus to succeed, I am dubious because he just doesn’t have any “touch”…doesn’t show any overt leadership … clearly is out of shape, and lacks the confidence as clearly seen early on in those QB’s that have indeed made it that preceeded him.

I frankly don’t give a s**t if he is white ,black, cyborg or alien. I just want to be able to suspend my disbelief by not questioning his character, motivation or effort.Period……..

I might further suggest someone mention to Chubbustus that Joe Namath donned his white fur coat only after he proved he could swing his ba**s with Unitas, Starr and the contemporaries of his day…

Just because he conned our purpetually drooling , senile ,fearless leader out of sixty million , doesn’t justify his swagger, his fur coat…his bling… In fact, his demeanor ,akin to Wilt Chamberlain’s wild boasts of 20,000 sexual conquests,(presumeably with females…), is probobly more reflective of his underlying insecurity…

• unknown

MR is just mad cause he didnt get it from oakglenn today

• edward teach

This was a good blog, and not very long ago, either. Now it’s just a bunch of teenagers talking smack to each other.

Boring.

• http://www.uoft.edu Lame Sniffin – VOL NATION BABY

New post people. Get with the program.

BTW 490 is a GREAT post.

• MR

The closet racists are coming out the wood works today, aren’t they?

Now we have this weirdo named Senile King, who kicks the door open, stands on a soap box, and proclaims that because America has elected a black president, that black athletes should start behaving themselves. Hmmm. What percentage of black athletes have been arrested for anything, or have even had incidents, Senile one? More than 50%? Come back when there are. Because as it stands, and as it always stood, most black athletes are professional adults. But I could understand how you would forget that when you probably spend 9 hours a day listening to unimaginative, uncharismatic white sports radio hosts blame black athletes for the lack of competitiveness in today’s pro sports (overlooking the role owners have played in it, by allowing t.v. and advertisers to influence the direction of the game…but then again, who signs the radio hosts’ checks???).

Then, just as your fellow closet bigot, Back To The ’70s, did earlier; You claimed that you…”don’t give a s’t” about who’s white, black, etc. Well then, how’d you notice the president was black, and that there were so many black athletes that now need to “behave” themselves because there’s a black president?

• raidersmaniac

WHY DONT YOU GO FCK YOURSELF LAME SNIFFIN , AT LEAST I DONT COME IN HERE WITH STUPID SH!T.

• MR

I still don’t get the “sniffin” thing. I think it’s just a lack of creativity on his part. “Lame” Kiffin would have been fine. Either come up with something clever, or just go basic. The guy just tries too hard. Like I said, his screen name is synonymous with his comments. They beg for attention, yet they’re neither moving or imaginative.

• Senile King’s Aricept

Post #494…Grow up. The issue is indeed complicated. No question that the large % of black athletes are not in the news for killing their wives, shooting themselves with unliscensced guns , running dogfighting rings, openly supporting those who run dogfighting rings, convicted of dealing cocaine, conspiring to kill Federal Judges who imprison them, showering people with $15,000 bottles of Champagne, shooting their servant with a shotgun, then claiming it was a suicide etc…
    I also agree, as does Deacon Jones, that the system is broken.Yes. The owners are at fault. The bloodless agents are also at fault….And we, the fans, deserve a share of the blame. Look… Take any underprivliged child,(regardless of race) and throw them tens of millions of dollars without having to show any responsibity or accountability to others- and you will have a monster on your hands.
    I’m not a big Jim Rome fan, but hypersensitive people such as yourself openly attacked him for his condemnation of Michael Vick’s deplorable antics, Rome correctly responded that if it were Brett Favre or Payton Manning,instead of michael Vick his position would be the same.
    As for making notice that our country can be proud of electing a black president, thus…after time…perhaps that “gangsta” segment of the black athletic population will act as adults too,…it should signify that we are growing and maturing as a nation…Stop calling me a biggot for simply asking THAT SEGMENT of the black athletic population to simply mature individually as a country, we are in the process of doing collectively…

What would you propose…Eubonics ?

I can see it now…The next Supreme Court Justice…Snoop Doggy Dogg….

• moroeder

nice jerry
    just the facts. don’t over do it. next thing ya know there won’t be no rivalries anymore. they’ll just be playing for the money and won’t care anything about the game itself.

• The Autumn Wind

What happened to Micheal Bush(other than the fact he is NOT and does NOT want to be a fullback). Last time we played the Chiefs he had a huge roll in that game. I am afraid the Raiders are in the process of mismanaging one of their more talented draft picks in the recent 5-7 years. Contrary to the mathematical standings of the AFC West the Oakland Raiders are OUT of the playoffs why not use this time to deveolop some of our promising prospects. Dont get me wrong i like Justin Fargas but he is not a premiere everydown back for the NFL, and with the way he runs he is only going to last maybe another season or two. Mcfadded he cant carry the load either. Running back by commitee is the wave of the future, you can see it on almost every team. Mcfadden and Bush could be a great tandem.

• Raider Ray

He should regret the ridiculous fake field goal. It was assinine and single handedly cost us the game. If he kicks that field goal and the other one he passed on we win the game. You have to take the points you earn in a game. Even if it’s 3 points. 19-13 us winning is much better than losing 20-13. It was a completely inexcusable rookie move. No intelligent human being would ever think of having Janikowski run a football. He’s too fat, slow, and dumb. Just like the coaching in that game. Pure and simply cable tried to get cute and it cost us a win. There is no excuse for losing to the hapless Chiefs. They’d lost 19 of the previous 20 games. Completely inexcusible.