Cable is coach when under contract

When is a coach not a coach?

When he’s working for free and not under contract.

That’s the situation Tom Cable still finds himself in today.

“News” has begun to seep out through ESPN and the NFL Network that Cable is expected to be the Raiders head coach, which readers of this space have known for awhile now.

The stories are on point in that Cable is expected to be the head coach. Even Cable expects it, although he has declined comment since the Raiders’ season-ending press conference.

Problem is, until Cable signs a contract which says he is the coach, then he isn’t the coach. Which means that if Al Davis is struck by a sudden inspiration that someone else should be the coach, he can act upon that impulse.

There’s very little chance of that happening, but as much as everyone involved would like this to be over with, it’s up to the Raiders to have Cable put pen to paper and appear at a press conference.

Other items of note:

— Paul Hackett will be announced as the Raiders quarterbacks coach. He’s an excellent addition in that he is a better teacher of quarterbacks than anyone the Raiders had on staff last season, with all due respect to Lane Kiffin, Greg Knapp and John DeFilippo.

(Cable’s contributions were more of aggressiveness and mindset, rather than footwork and technical aspects of the game).

You can bet Hackett took plenty of mental notes watching JaMarcus Russell last year as an advance scout. It was one of the strangest things about the ’08 Raiders, watching Hackett walk laps around the facility as the Raiders warmed up for practice, and be uninvolved in the development of the future of the franchise.

— John Marshall is scheduled to meet with the Raiders tonight and should merit serious consideration for defensive coordinator.

Marshall had the run of the defense working under offensive coaches Dan Henning in Atlanta, Steve Mariucci in San Francisco and Mike Holmgren in Seattle. But he also has worked under a George Seifert in Carolina, a noted control freak who wanted things done a certain way.

— The hiring of Dwaine Board, Marshall’s defensive line coach in Seattle and also a former 49ers assistant, was made official on the club’s Web site.

— Young Lance is getting some bad ink in the SEC, where he made less than a stellar impression crowing about how much money Tennessee spent in putting together a coaching staff, with columnists portraying him as a spoiled child.

Kiffin remains confident as ever. He even named his newborn son “Monte Knox Kiffin” and will call him “Knox.” After Knoxville, I presume. If Kiffin gets canned in Tennessee, I assume the toddler will have to get used to being called “Monte.”

— In Tuesday’s on-line chat, Anthony asked if the Raiders still got the extra minicamp allotted to a new coach if Cable had his interim tag removed. According to NFL Director of Football Information Vince Casey, the answer is yes. If Cable is hired, the Raiders can have the extra minicamp if they desire.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Great someone wants fargas at another postition, i want fargas on a arena league team thats where he belongs most of their rb go for 1 td a year too. No way any real Raider fan is excited about cable weve become like abused women who will take anything.

Two great tackles and then add a center we pick up in round two and our line is set for a looooong time.

I just can’t see us taking a WR or MLB at #7…the picks gotta be a tackle…we have so much money tied up in DTs already…I guess DE might be a possibility too.

Tackle or DE @#7….unless we trade Nnamdi, then Jenkins is the pick…

***

well done Dakota. couldn’t have said it any better myself

• Hey Dakota, post818, you are spot on bro, Oher is the man for us, instant improvement where it is needed the most.

• alisgod (F-Kitten Go Ole Miss)

Brien, excellent point about putting a weak rush blocker on the right as well as paying all that money for a RT.

• I stroke Briens shaft and massage his balls. He likes it.

Gargle gargle, gulp gulp, yummmm….

• jeremy

can we trade fargas to the cfl and dump his contract on them? then some people could get exactly what they want……marc trestman coaching justin fargas.

• Brien the Great

So, with that thought in mind can we draft one of the big 4 tackles at #7, let the pick and Henderson battle it out for LT during training camp and the first part of preseason, and let the loser play RT for the remainder of the preseason. Is Henderson big enough, or does it even matter in the ZBS how big he is at RT?

Financially it doesnt make sense Dakota. Football wise it doesnt make sense. What if the guy we draft aint suited to play RT? We know Mario isnt. Mario being big enough isnt the issue, its the fact he isnt a good run blocker and that is what is required for a RT

• darkknight01

jeremy Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:38 pm
    mario henderson is the LT. we aren’t going to draft a ot early in the 1st round and pay him all that money to play rt. just not happening. can get a good rt in later rounds. henderson is best at lt because he is purely a pass blocker. you don’t put someone who doesn’t excel in run blocking on the right side. if jamarcus was a lefty then maybe moving henderson to rt would be a good idea but jamarcus isn’t and henderson has his back.

^^I agree….but if you can get someone like Monroe at #7, your telling me the old man shouldn’t pick him? When it’s clear the team still needs solid O-Line help?

Who would the old man pick ahead of Monroe if he is there that he would want to pay? Orakpo? Maybe…Crabtree? Of course, but I doubt he will be there….will he pay Maualuga more money than Morrison and Howard?

Picking a DT that high and handed him big money for being thE #7 pick is never a good idea IMO. Would you pick a WR like Maclin that high and pay him that kinda money, since he may or not be a starter and solid contributor, since he isn’t a Moss, Calvin Johnson, Fitz type who has it all?

With the #7 pick you want an instant contributor and starter, that will benefit Russell and DMC, and whole offense the most IMO.

• Brien the Great

Post 856…………awful. I suggest you get a life pronto

• RaiderTay

Im all for a backup QB as long as:

1. Its a veteran we should spending the majority of the time developing Russell and we need someone who doesnt need a lot of reps.

2. The new person doesnt create any QB controversy. JaRuss is going to have some bad games next year and ou dont want to deal w/ that drama everytime he is not having an Elway performance. We have enough issues.

Tom Cable COY in 2009. Start the campaing now. Figure if he finds a way to go 8-8, that might be the best coaching job in the league.

***

If the Raiders go 8-8 in Cable’s first year as official Head Coach, Raider fans everywhere will come out of the woodworks and support this team once again. Games in Oakland can be nasty for the other team when the stadium is full and the Raiders are competitive. Revive the black hole!!!!

8-8 might even win the division again

• Dakota

I like Brien’s meat mustache.

• # RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

i would trade Derrick Burgess for a 3rd round draft pick faster than Jamarcus Russell would trade in his playbook for a bucket of KFC
    ———————————–
    You only see comments like these when it’s a Black Player. Particularly when it’s your franchise QB.

• LAto TheBay

Jeremy
    840.

its tough to say. mario, i think, should be the guy because of his progress and pass blocking abilities and it wouldn’t make sense to move him to RT. Green is probably out and maybe we draft a RT in later round, sure.

But don’t underestimate the pressure Al may feel to get a franchise LT that fits his mold. They missed with Gallery, but hes been a relatively effective guard and not a complete waste. I wouldn’t put it past Al or the staff to stick Mario on the right side.

Of course Al being Al, will probably snag the best player available at #7. Wouldn’t surprise me at all for him to take Maclin or Jenkins.

• Brien the Great

jeremy Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Best post so far in 2009

• jeremy

darkknight,

not saying that he would or wouldn’t be good. i’m just saying that you don’t pay that kind of money and spend that high of a draft pick on a ot if he’s not your lt and we already have a lt.

• Dakota

Brien I know you say Henderson can’t play RT, and others are backing you up so I will accept that opinion.

For now.

• Demon Raider

1- DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
    With this pick, we wouldn’t need to re-sign Derrick Burgess. Unless of course Burgess plays great cuz it’s a contract year. But I am solid on Trevor Scott too.

2- DT Evander “Ziggy” Hood, Missouri
    Very good DT. I think that he could be a Pro Bowl DT within a few years.

3- C Jonathon Luigs, Arkansas
    He is a very good C and he has the ability to even be a first year starter.

4- MLB Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
    He’ll be the Michael bush o 2009. A projected 1st round talent dropping all the way into the 4th due to injury. But he will be a very good MLB. Allow Oakland to Morrison to his more natural OLB position.

5- No Pick :’(

6- TE Bear Pascoe, Fresno State
    Not the fastest TE, but neither was Zach Miller when we drafted him. Bear has great hands and size at 6′4 258lbs. Better than Madsen, IMO. And he is a very good blocking TE as well.

7- OT Eric Vanden Heuvel, Wisconsin
    Massive size, 6′7 320+ lbs. Could develop into a complimentary RT to Hendersons LT.

This is how the chips will fall….

• Brien the Great

LAto TheBay Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:50 pm
    Jeremy
    840.

Not a waste? Please for all that money for a barely above average guard who would never be good in any other scheme but ZBS? Come on

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

MaddenRaider Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 12:13 pm
    This is one of the best articles I have ever read regarding Kiffin.

Hillarious. I think my new sloagn is”And in the process, he did the unthinkable — he made Al Davis look sane.”
    ————————————————–

Good Link!
    LMFAO

• jeremy

like i said in an earlier post, get ready for jenkins at #7.

• Brien the Great

Dakota Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:52 pm

For now.

I dont need backing. I’ve proved many times I dont need it. Especially since I’m generally right more than I’m wrong

• vegas raider

It seems that most of the teams put there best run-blocker at RT, and the worst run-blocker and best pass-blocker at LT.

So why on earth did Rob Ryan have Richardson lined-up over the LT and Burgess over the RT? I’m confused

• LAto TheBay

marv-44 Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:40 pm
    Hey post832, I said AFC (west) championship, and that is doable
    =============================
    my bad. you’re right, it certainly would be doable but that really all depends on San Diego. We would at least have to go 1-1 with them. If we can finally beat SD again, I say it goes a long way to revive the Raider Nation.

• Brien the Great

Jenkins or Maclin will be the pick at 7 unless Al goes against conventional Al thinking

• jeremy

vegas,

because burgess wanted to play that side and bitched until it happened

• Demon Raider

I agree, Vegas… I wanted to see Burgess play RE….

• vegas raider

With so many holes on the team, I just can’t see going O-line the first two rounds. I mean, O-line at times this year was one of our strengths. WR and stopping the run was clearly the biggest holes on our squad, you have to address one of the two in the first two rounds (especially if we go LT #7).

• Brien the Great

vegas raider Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Because Burgess is a wimp and he is overrated

• So Darkknighy01 who would that pick be iyo???

• lefty12

Jeremy-can’t say i like it but it is a distinct possibility.

• In a perfect world your RT would be a pure run-blocker, and your LT would be pure pass-blocker, but in the NFL, pressure comes from both sides, and you run where the holes are, so really NFL teams need tackles that can do both fairly well, generally the best of the two ends up on the left. Henderson could play RT if we drafted another LT, not a problem. That’s what Miller is there for, to help him run-block.

Demon Raider, I like your picks, I am on the same page, but unless your handle is Tommy Trojan, nobody on here can predict a Raiders draft.

• S&B – Nation Collective

alisgod (F-Kitten Go Ole Miss) Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:38 pm
    S&B
    I doubt Cable was the last choice. I believe he was the only choice all along. Al wanted to save face by bringing in Gilbride to show that there are coaches still wanting to be here. He brought Moss in for the Rooney Rule.

Personally, I love the Cable choice for many reasons but the primary being that he can work with Al. Peoople should not feel bad for Cable. He got one of only 32 jobs of its kind in the world. There’s no shame in that. How long did Dungy have to endure to finally get a HC gig.

That is the reason why I ABSOLUTELY HATED KITTEN. He thinks he is entitled while Cable relish the opportunity. Something Kitten lovers never seem to understand
    =====================================================
    I like Cable to and supported the hire after the win over Tampa. As for Kiffin, I could care less anymore…he’s gone. One can debate whether to blame Davis or Kiffin but that is a pointless discussion. To me both were to blame.

As for Cable, I don’t like how Davis prolonged this hire this long and still hasn’t named him head coach. There is no rational reason other than he’s waiting for some other candidate to emerge.

• Dakota

vegas raider Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

______________________________________

Burgess’ right nut hangs lower so it helps him turn the corner from the LDE position or some other lame ass excuse…

• vegas raider

jeremy Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:56 pm
    vegas,

because burgess wanted to play that side and bitched until it happened

***************************

Your right and I don’t understand why he would want to be there. Doesn’t he know he can command more money as a “blind-side” pass rusher? Your best pass-rushers move around, but he usually anchors himself wide of the RT.

• Brien the Great

Burgess not good enough to play RDE thats why. He knows he doesnt have what it takes to beat a LT. He would rather go against the slow foot RT. But he is an idiot because RDE’s get paid more because they go against LT, who makes the most on the oline

• jeremy

that was another problem with our run d is having a rush end lined up over the rt. burgess is strictly a pass rusher and not an every down end. he gets man handled in run game.

• LAto TheBay

Brien 870

========================================
    I didn’t want Gallery that year, and I’d imagine not many of us did. All I’m saying is that a LT bust like that may have Al trying redouble his efforts to get a franchise LT (honestly I don’t see him doing it, but you just don’t know. I didn’t see Gallery, but I’m no guru).
    I’m glad that at least we can stick him somewhere and get him to play. Most would credit Cable for that…

• Dakota

S&B – Nation Collective Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

_____________________________________

Please don’t get my hopes up….

• Brien the Great

Look guys, Al is crazy as hell and Cable is an idiot but so what. The players are the ones who win this game. Until we get players that know how to work well under the situation that is in Oakland, nothing will change. It really boils down to that

• Brien the Great

LAto TheBay Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 2:00 pm
    Brien 870

========================================

Fair enough

• vegas raider

Moving J-Rich (still wish he was with the Dubs) over to Burgess’ spot will make him more important stopping the run (he may be our most stout D-liner) and his long-arms and size could be used more to bat down passes, because most teams threw more often to their right. I am looking for another year of improvement from him. Not a bad 5th round pick, IMO.

• jeremy

i don’t blame al for dragging cable along. he has cable working for FREE.

• darkknight01

jeremy Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 1:51 pm
    darkknight,

^^^
    Sure but Monroe would still make the O-Line way stronger by putting him at RT….and the O-Line needs to get stronger and have more depth.

When they drafted McQ in what the 3rd round I was pissed….he hasn’t done jack crap since then and Kevin Boothe was released and is a backup for the G-Men now. Freakin waste of a draft practically, espeically with the way Huff is turning out to be a nickel or CB at best.

I don’t trust Al Davis drafting a O-Line guy in round 3 or 4 and PRAY that he can start right away at RT. Why not just draft an almost sure thing….just as long as Monroe has long enough arms, a good slide (which Gallery didn’t) and can run block. Which from what it seems, Monroe can do all the above.

Then IF the old man is so hard up for a WR….theN he can look at fast strong guys like Kenny Britt, Hakim Nicks, or a small speedster type in Derrick Willams in Round 2.

The only WR that is worth taking with the #7 pick is Crabtree IMO.

• # Brien the Great Says:
    January 29th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

——————————–
    Bullshyt. Football is a Organization & Coaching game.

• jeremy

Richardson by far is the better run stopper at de.

• alisgod (F-Kitten Go Ole Miss)

S&B, Al is just weird. I accepted that a long long time ago. Regardless, I look forward to next year. I do think we got some decent talents now. Here’s to hoping for improvement on both lines.

• jeremy

darkknight,

henderson was a 3rd rd pick and he dominated down the stretch.

• vegas raider

Did Al milk this whole situation, putting the interim tag on Cable and having him be a “new hire”, to get the free extra two weeks of mini-camp? Seems like par for the course

• Dakota

Same BS about Cable being the next HC, but they added this to the end of the story:

SBReport has also learned that Cable will have full autonomy in hiring his own coaches and surrounding himself with staffers of his choosing.

Full autonomy? hahahahahahah right.