Updated: Ekejiuba’s contract numbers

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 at 10:08 pm in Oakland Raiders.

UPDATE: A league source checked in with details of Isaiah Ekejiuba’s deal, which was first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle.

It’s for three years, $5.4 million. He got $1.25 million to sign. Cleveland the New York Jets were both in pursuit.

It’s believed to be the richest contract for a core special teams player. Ekejiuba played fewer than 10 snaps on defense all season.

Watched an entire hour devoted to the opening of free agency on the NFL Network and the only time I heard the Raiders mentioned was in reference Gibril Wilson, DeAngelo Hall and their double-dip free agency bonanzas.

Fifty-plus deals, hundreds of millions of dollars, not a Raider in sight . . .

With everything fairly quiet on the Raiders front, some speculation and opinion to keep the wheel turning:

– I sat in a Napa Marriott Hotel room one day with Jon Gruden, listening to him derisively refer to a Mo Collins-Darrell Russell practice matchup as a “brother-in-law block.” Translation _ they were giving each other a break.

It was the first thing I thought of when the Kansas City Chiefs got Matt Cassel for Mike Vrabel and the No. 34 pick in the draft. Bill Belichick was executing a brother-in-law block with ex-colleague Scott Pioli.

Detroit needs a quarterback and is at No. 33. Hard to believe they couldn’t have done better, shipping a younger player the Patriots’ way.

I happen to agree with the the assessment that with 10 wins under his belt (Tom Brady started the other) for a playoff-caliber team, Cassel has proven much more than Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford.

Vrabel, 34, is a throw-in with no more than a year or two left. He fit in with an established New England defense but not a terrible one in Kansas City. The trade was all about the quarterback, and Belichick gift-wrapped this one to the Chiefs.

– Dallas got backup quarterback Jon Kitna for Anthony Henry, a starting cornerback. Wonder if the Raiders had struck earlier if they could have gotten it done for Stanford Routt?

Kitna is extremely competitive, highly professional and always pushes the starter, but also knows his role. Would have been a perfect backup for Russell.

– If you’re a Raiders fan, you’ve got to love the whole Jay Cutler saga regardless of how it turns out.

Very soon, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and Cutler will greet the media and invoke some or all of the Holy Trinity of athletes and sports journalism (misquoted, blown out of proportion, taken out of context).

But the beauty if the NFL Network is that you see what we see. If you’ve watched the Broncos post-game press conferences, your quickly realize that Cutler is a life-of-the-party quotemeister when he wins and a spoiled brat when he loses.

He gets a whiff of McDaniels’ interest in Cassel, and he responds accordingly.

That bodes well for AFC West opponents for close games in the fourth quarter.

– If the Raiders get serious about tackles Marvel Smith (Pittsburgh) and Khalif Barnes (Jacksonville), it’s reasonable to infer they believe the tackles they like best in the NFL draft will be gone by No. 7.

From a distance, it appears Virginia’s Eugene Monroe is the most athletic, mobile tackle on the board _ and it doesn’t sound as if he’ll be around.

While Barnes played left tackle with the Jaguars, some feel is he is better suited to playing on the right.

- Curious to see what T.J. Houshmanzadeh will “settle” for in the next few days. As reliable as he is, a 10-yard-per-catch wideout on a team often playing from behind becomes hard to justify when the dollars pile up.

– With Ekejiuba in the fold, the next special teams target could be Justin Miller, who returned a pair of kickoffs for touchdowns.

– It’s been more than two weeks, and the Raiders have still not confirmed the signing of cornerback Chris Johnson.

– I have a lot of respect for the job NFL Network analyst Adam Schefter does tracking down information. He was very good at it before he had the advantage of actually working for the NFL.

Same goes for Mike Lombardi. Even those former Raiders colleagues who aren’t fond of him begrudgingly admit his preparation and ability to have good information on virtually any prospect instantaneously were remarkable.

Yet you watch the NFL Network shows about the signings and every one is solid gold. Hole-in-one, birdie, hole-in-one.

Very little criticism has accompanied the signing of Hall by Washington. The deal the Raiders made to bring him aboard last year had its share of detractors _ including yours truly.

But now that Hall has gone elsewhere, it’s as if he’s become cleansed somehow.

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

Thankx EXLA I found that little girl spidey and my post is under yours hahahahahahahahahhahahaaaaaaaahhhhahahahahahahah

• RockyMtn.Raider

Hey true blue…

that’s all you could come up with…a gay looking cat and a sentence about Al dying? Brilliant I tell ya…just brilliant…now go home, your mama’s calling

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

Man what were those guys thinking.I live in fla about 6 miles from gulf and it was windy here on land.In a chop of 3-5 feet a rogue wave can capsize a boat.These guys are not from here and they dont know the way of the waters.I’ve spent 7 days at a time on fishing trips and the gulf is UNpredictable at best

• Seattle Raider

just like your mom does me, True blue

• Raider O

Etfoo blue,

You are one lonely SOB. Get off the food stamps and get a job. Maybe then, just maybe you cab buy yourself something new and nice. They like to call it pu$$y. Go try it. You may like it a lot more than this site.

• True Blue Fader Hater

4evaRaider Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 8:45 am

My take: calling Spider that little girl spidey is a G-R-O-O-V-Y comeback. :twisted:

• S&B (Keep Michael Bush @ RB)

True Blue Faider Hater,

Your post 154 is absolutely disgusting.

• True Blue Fader Hater

S&B (Keep Michael Bush @ RB) Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 8:57 am
    True Blue Faider Hater,

Your post 154 is absolutely disgusting.

My take: the truth always hurts. :twisted:

• Raider O

Bich blue,

You want better!!!!!!!

• S&B (Keep Michael Bush @ RB)

Njraider3 Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 8:43 am
    Ok I thought I was crazy the other day when I suggested the Raiders bring in Kitna to back-up Russell! So thats not going to happen!

Here is my next crazy statement! Does Tyler Thigpen remind anyone on Rich Gannon?

Justin Fargas for Tyler Thigpen!

Thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!
    =======================================================
    No. Fargas should stay right here in Oakland as a the change up to Bush. As for Thigpen. Why? Look, Russell just finished his first year as a starter. He also completed 61% of his passes in the last 7 games of the season. The guy has a tremendous upside. Why would you want to replace that?

Russell has a good chance of really breaking through next year. Especially with better coaching and smarter use of Bush/McFadden.

So, no to Thigpen

• True Blue Fader Hater

Raider O Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:02 am
    Bich blue,

You want better!!!!!!!

My take: fader nashun is truly showing their ignorance this morning. :twisted:

• Raider O

Groovy,, yaaaaaaaa. Something your mom used to say after I punsh it.

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

sad day;Paul Harvey has died

• La Milicia Negra

—”From ABC comes a scary story out of Florida. Three NFL players are on a fishing boat that is missing off the Gulf Coast in Clearwater. One reportedly plays for the Lions, and another plays for the Raiders.”—

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

4evaRaider Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 8:45 am

Gave you a thumbs up! LOL

• Raider O

Igno what, check your edjumucated self.

• ragin

Boat missing at sea supposedly one raider, one lion and another pro football player were on board, coast guard is looking for them…

• S&B (Keep Michael Bush @ RB)

True Blue Fader Hater,

Have your fun I guess. But celebrating someones demise is something that no person should ever joke about. Just remember that. Someone’s brother, father, uncle, husband, best friend, teammate etc..

TBFH, you are one cold individual. Hopefully you never have to go through something like that.

• ???

#154 that is a sick comment. this blog really needs to be moderated that kinda crap dont belong on here.

It dont flippen matter who the Raider player is 4 people are missing and for all we know they could be dead you SOB Show some damn class the fact that 3 of them are football players has noting to do with anything.

When something like that happens football dont me jack poop how you going to feel if all 4 on board died.

Use your damn hed whomever you are. Hate the raiders all you like that is your right but that post you made on 154 has no place on this blog.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

and that’s the “Rest of the Story”
    RIP Paul Harvey

• Raider O

:prick:

• Raider O

What’s up LMN,

How are things in your side of the world?

• True Blue Fader Hater

??? Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:09 am

My take: my bad. for once you faders are right. I’ll pray for the other 3.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Post 174′
    ???
    The rest of the Raider Nation supports your words 110%

• La Milicia Negra

# Raider O Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:10 am

What’s up LMN,

How are things in your side of the world?
    ___________________________________________________

its great!, Im watching 3 soccer games at the same time… Im so glad the spring season started i was going mad, having no sport to watch =) LOL pathetic i know, but thats me, I love sports, movies and music =)

• ragin

True blue sux norvell….

• True Blue Fader Hater

me too trolly

• True Blue Fader Hater

oops i meant my wife troll

• Raider O

I’m thinking of stopping there on my way to Jordan.

• Spider

S&B (Keep Michael Bush @ RB) Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:08 am
    True Blue Fader Hater,

Oh! Looky here! A fader puzzy with some ♥♥♥

• Spider

True Blue you stupid

• True Blue Fader Hater

Spider stop it or i will come after your dogs ass, lyrically

• Raider O

Last time I stopped there I had a blast, but that was back in 98.

• Spider

been there, done that, hihihihi

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

True Blue Fader Hater Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:12 am
    ??? Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:09 am

My take: my bad. for once you faders are right. I’ll pray for the other 3

My take…you aint soo bad afterall,so dont change,you are kinda fun 2 have around sometimes =)

• Spider

La Milicia Negra Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:13 am
    # Raider O Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:10 am

What’s up LMN,

How are things in your side of the world?
    ___________________________________________________

Great a faaaaader fan that’s a grass fairy too.

• True Blue Fader Hater

aiight im back….uhh, i had to walk my doggie girl real quik.

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

HEY EXLA,waaay back in the day I lived a ski-lodge in the san gabriels.There was a dude I worked with who said his uncle was Paul Harvey.I said yeah right,so he showed me photos of him and Paul,from when he was young 2 present day(back then).Their real last name was Van Dereichen

• Spider

LOL! True Blue. They are too ignorant to know how to :evil:

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

that would be : Van Der I ken

• S&B (Keep Michael Bush @ RB)

If there are any moderators, you guys really need to do something about some of these posts. Mostly they are off topic, hateful, obscene and in the worst taste.

If you don’t get some type of registration, your site will have nothing but these people that spend their day trying to ruin good conversation and news.

Other sites will pick up on this and soon the only thing this site will be is a Romper Room for a bunch of degenerates.

• Raider O

We don’t know how to troll like you, and you think that is an insult. ?????!!!!!!!!! Is it time for
    Your meds special one.

• JHill

True Blue Fader Hater Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:25 am
    Spider Says:
    March 1st, 2009 at 9:17 am
    True Blue you stupid

My take: Spider these fader fans are the ones that are really stupid. They try to troll as you and me but they don’t know how to

——————————————————-

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement. Someone from this blog actually went to a Denver blog and brought Spider back with him? Ridiculous!

What the hell kinda language are you guys speaking? Dungeons and Dragons? Space something or another?

Trolls ???? What the hell is a troll, and how do you kill it? Is there a manual to go with your BS internet games?

This is unbelievable! I’d exepect this type of phag shyt on a chess blog, but not a football blog.

• RAIDERfromHONDURAS

RAIDER MISSING ON BOAT ON FLORIDA GULF COAST!!!!! WHO IS IT JERRY!!! THIS IS HUUUGE NEWS!!!

CLEARWATER, FL — The Coast Guard is searching for a missing fishing boat about 50 miles off-shore in the Gulf of Mexico.

According to Coast Guard officials, the 21-foot fishing boat left from a boat ramp in Clearwater Pass Saturday about 6:30 am with 4 people on board.

A dispatcher told ABC Action News 3 of them are NFL players. One of the plays for the Detroit Lions, and one plays for the Oakland Raiders, the dispatcher said.

The boaters were supposed to return sometime after dark but never did, officials said. A friend called the Coast Guard at about 1:30 am and reported them missing.

Officials say the waters in the gulf are extremely choppy and they believe the boat is in distress.

Air and marine crews from the Sand Key and Clearwater Coast Guard stations are searching a 750 square mile area west of Clearwater Pass.
    SSING ON BOAT!!! WHO IS IT JERRY????

• RaiderTay

The Raiderbeat is reporting that the missing Raider is LB Marquis Cooper.

• http://ibabuzz 4evaRaider

boaters are corey smith thats the only name I could remember.Now they are saying they “might” be pro football players

• RaiderDogg

Just heard that Marquis Cooper is missing at sea off the Gulf Coast along with 2 other players from the NFL.

• RAIDERfromHONDURAS