Boschetti signed, Williams renewed

While offensive coordinator at UCLA, an overachieving defensive tackle named Ryan Boschetti apparently caught the eye of coach Tom Cable.

Boschetti managed to hang on with the Redskins for four seasons, first as a practice squad player and later as a reserve. He’s played in only 22 games, but if this Washington Times story is any indication, Boschetti should raise the level of intensity at defensive tackle this training camp with the Raiders.

Maybe Boschetti can help light a fire under Tommy Kelly and Terdell Sands, two players the Raiders need to perform if they hope to improve their No. 31 ranked rushing defense.

Boschetti and Sam Williams showed up on Raiders.com on the Raiders transactions page as having signed contracts.

Williams, long considered an Al Davis favorite, has the size and skill set to be the perfect candidate for strong side linebacker but injuries and ineffectiveness have relegated him to a special teams player.

The Raiders moved up to select Williams in the third round of the 2003 draft. He was the first of two third-round picks that year, with Justin Fargas being the other.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

KoolKell, you hate the dink and dunk offense, even when it wins, as it did for us the last time Gruden was here? Do you put offensive philosophy above winning? I sure hope Al Davis doesn’t. Because that wouldn’t sound to me like an owner who wants to win more badly than any other owner in the game…

• vegas raider

DMunoz,

Hey I don’t think too much less of him, what college kid doesn’t burn? But Goodell is cracking down on all this stuff, and Al would probably be the only one to take him in top 10. Same thing, as you said, happened to Sapp and he turned out pretty well. Although Sapp was much more highly decorated coming out of school.

• DMunoz26

# jhill Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Sands and Warren’s play is part of the argument.

——————————————————

Still waiting for the games where Warren and Kelly played bad as starters. Show me 1st and 3rd qtr evidence to support your case.
    __________________

Doesn’t the defense being ranked 31st do that on it’s own?

• DKnight007

Moving down should still be priority #1 for the Raiders!

• Raider Dell

Coach Sean

I’m glad your back and keep the comments coming. I believe the best trade partner is a team that falls in love with a player really coveted. I don’t see Philly trading up, they usually operate to acquire more picks than less. The move up will strain your cap and really place a impact on that player selected, the player at #7 is not a player Philly is desperate for.

• Charlie

Edward

The offense got better because we became a run first team that deemphasized the pass. We still got beat bad by good football teams.
    Sacks were down because we scripted the passing game accordingly with three and five step drops encouraging JR to throw it away when necessary.

Fact: Our offensive line could not have pleased Cable that much otherwise we would not have brought in Barnes, Pears and Satele(letting Grove go)potentially introducing three new starters next season. We might draft somebody as well on day one for this unit.

Fact: We can not ask the opposition to not run the ball as much. Our defensive line is bad. Offensive line improvement automatically helps the defense but 31st in rush defense having gotten worse for five straight years? Most rushing TD’s given up by any NFL team in the last six years.
    Richardson,Scott and Burgess at DE?

That is a Dline talent problem that Jerry Rice in his prime would not help.

• jhill

Despite what you say, the pundits, scouts etc…project Raji as that guy. Period. Raji is the top 10 guy.

——————————————————-

I guess we’ll see. I suggest you pull up last years ESPN mock drafts and projections, and I think you might not call them experts. And I know you’re not referring to Lombardi?

LOL!

• DMunoz26

#

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:22 pm

_________________

I don’t see Gannon, Tim Brown or Jerry Rice anywhere and what was his record with that same offense at Tampa Bay? He was fired for a reason.

• SnB Defense

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:18 pm
    Unless the DE at 7 is Tyson Jackson I say no DE at 7.
    ——————————————————-
    S&B:

Mel Kiper Jr. has Tyson Jackson going to the Chargers at #16

saw it just this morning on SportsCenter
    ——————————————————
    I said in my post that Tyson Jackson would be a slight reach at #7. I am pushing for Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd round to deal with the defensive end problem.

The issue is that the Chiefs will probably add Curry, the Broncos will add Mauluaga or Raji and the Chargers are looking defense with Jackson or Jenkins in the secondary.

The Raiders defense is largely left in tact year after year.

I just don’t think our defense is good enough to win games right now. Especially with the prospect of facing run heavy teams like the Giants, Ravens, Redskins, Steelers and dynamic offenses like the Chargers and Eagles.

Depending on the Raider offense to put up 30 points a game isn’t going to work out for us and there were too many games where the Raiders had to do just that to hope for a win.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Munoz, you’re basing your opinion of Cable being better than Gruden solely on beating Gruden in one single regular season game? Especially when Cable beat him with Kiffin’s playbook and Kiffin’s running attack, and when Gruden had already fallen out with his team and his ownership, and was essentially on lame duck status anyway? I surely hope Al Davis didn’t pick Cable based on those standards. If those are the the types of decisions he makes, it’s no wonder he’s 24-72 in the past 6 years.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Munoz, you brought up Gruden’s record in Tampa Bay. Fair enough. Was Gruden’s record in Tampa Bay better or worse than Al Davis’s record since Gruden left here?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I mean, Munoz, if Gruden deserved to be fired for his record in Tampa, what does Al Davis deserve for his record in Oakland since Gruden left? LOL.

• SnB Defense

jhill Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:23 pm

——————————————————-

=======================================================
    And for your info, I wanted Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis or Ryan Claddy last year. Regardless of who the picks are. You can’t win with poor D-Line or O-Line play. That’s my position. I have never seen a team successfull with that model.

I also am sick and tired of waiting for Kelly/Warren and Sands to wake up. We have no Base Defensive End either.

So if we draft skill position players again…don’t get upset if the results don’t change much.

April 20, 2006: Lewis vents his frustration about not having space-eating defensive tackles in front of him that would allow him to roam free to make tackles. “The issue is: Are you going to let me do what I do?” he asked. “And if not, let me go.” Nine days later, the Ravens draft 340-pound defensive tackle Haloti Ngata

• DKnight007
  • jhill

Ok,

just read about the Raji positive drug test.

Do you still want him at 7 S&B?

• DMunoz26

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:25 pm

_________

The players believe in Cable and that is important, Gruden alienated almost all of his players while in Tampa Bay. You don’t play hard for someone you don’t believe in. Fact is we beat the Texans and Bucs two teams that were hot before we put out their fires at the end of the year. Why are you so against Cable, what has he done to prove he doesn’t deserve to be the coach?

WR’s Higgins, Schilens & Shields = DE’s Richardson, Scott & Gunheim as far as developing talent and being given opportunities

Burgess = Walker. haha

great for 2 seasons in his career. injury prone and complains about money

DT’s Warren, Sands, Boschetti & Joseph = OL Barnes, Satele, Carlisle & Green.

Kelly = Gallery. overpaid and changed positions

there are holes all over this team fellas!

• Charlie

Sands is an out of shape wasted roster spot.
    He did not even play the second half of the Tampa game.
    Richardson played tackle and Gunheim helped at DE.

• edward teach

Vegas…. I think that double standard does exist; the funny thing is that it was the O-line that showed the most improvement, not the WR corps.

Despite what some will say in here, we’ve actaully upgraded the O-line this offseason, too. Satele should be a great fit for the ZBS, there will be a battle for LT (which was already upgraded when Harris was finally benched) and whomever takes over at RT will instantly upgrade that position.

We need at least one guy in here that can make plays and consistently catch the ball downfield on third down. The ripple effect of that will be very positive, I think.

• DMunoz26

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:28 pm

_____

Can you fire an owner?

• ottocrat

Gruden didn’t want to come back, and the Raiders didn’t want him back. He didn’t disparage Davis or the organization in public because he isn’t a punk, like Kiffin. But, that doesn’t mean that all is good between the two parties.

• SnB Defense

The positive drug test is disappointing and shows poor judgement and character. I have to be real here. Drug tests are a big red flag. Although, Warren Sapp was an idiot too.

Therefore, I can understand passing on Raji now.

However, the Raiders should be targeting Monroe, J. Smith or Michael Oher with the number 7 pick. Possibly look at trading down.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Munoz, no it is not important that the players believe in Cable. There is a reason why teams have general managers, Munoz. So someone can make decisions based upon what’s best for the football team, and what gives the team the best chance of winning. Most players today care about themselves and their own stats. It’s not wise to let them choose the coach.

• Just Win Baby

Blue collar man, Michael Vick, is going to swing a hammer for a living now. Maybe he can pay back all that money taping drywall. Ha!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Ottocrat, how do you know Gruden didn’t want to come back? Was Gruden offered the position?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Munoz, just making the point. You said Gruden deserved to be fired for his record in Tampa. Considering Al Davis’s record in the same time span, what would he deserve, in your view? Hypothetically speaking? If you had the power to fire Al Davis, you’d keep him, despite his record in the past 6 years? Gruden’s record was far better, and you’re insisting Gruden deserved the axe.

I’d rather have Andre Smith than BJ Raji now

can’t have pot smokers in the locker room Tom Cable wants to “dominate”

• DMunoz26

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

_______

Never claimed Al didn’t need to go in fact I’ll be the first to say I can’t wait till he steps down. But for now he is the owner and there is nothing we can do about it so you go along for the ride and hope the old man doesn’t mess things up too bad.

• Just Win Baby

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP)—A lawyer for suspended NFL star Michael Vick told a bankruptcy court Thursday that the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback has lined up a construction job for when he gets out of prison.

Vick, 28, appeared in court for the first time in his bankruptcy case to explain to a judge how he plans to emerge from his financial problems. Before the hearing began, he turned around to wave and smile at family members sitting in the courtroom. He is expected to testify before the proceeding wraps up on Friday.

“You will hear from Mr. Vick his future intentions, how he’s going to change the way he lives his life,” his lawyer, Michael Blumenthal, told U.S. Bankrputcy Judge Frank J. Santoro.

Vick is serving a 23-month sentence for bankrolling a dogfighting ring, and his bankruptcy plan is based on the goal of returning to a professional football career. He briefly left a federal prison in Kansas to attend the hearing. He’s scheduled to be released from custody in July, but could be sent to home confinement in late May.

Blumenthal said when Vick is released, he plans to work 40 hours a week for a construction company. He did not disclose the wage or give any other details about the type of work that Vick will be performing.

• TrevJo

DMunoz26 Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:28 pm

_________

The players believe in Cable because he’s new and loyal. Give him some more time to fail to improve the passing game and the defense and we’ll see how much the players still believe in him then.
    Cable took over a 4-12 team and went 4-8 with them, so he has that going for him, which is nice. There’s nothing for the Raiders players to have turned on Cable for yet. But he hasn’t accomplished anything yet either.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Might as well let them smoke pot, rockstar. Cause Cable aint dominating anything. It’s Al Davis’s locker room.

• DMunoz26

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I’d rather have Andre Smith than BJ Raji now

can’t have pot smokers in the locker room Tom Cable wants to “dominate”
    _______

I can get with that, I just don’t like a WR at 7 this year we have far too many holes to address first. WR is a luxury for contenders and we aren’t a contender yet.

• jhill

SnB Defense Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Therefore, I can understand passing on Raji now.

—————————————————

My work here is done …

LOL!

• SnB Defense

Given the drug test revelations, I will have to adjust my mock draft position. Although I will say, if the Raiders get Raji I will still be esctatic!

Here goes:

1. Michael Oher, LT, Ole Miss
    2. Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    3. Jasper Brinkley, LB, South Carolina
    4. Mitch King, DE, Iowa

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Week 3 Raiders led Buffalo 16-7 at the end of 3rd qtr. Lost

Week 4 led SD 15-3 at the end of the 3rd qtr. Lost

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Wow, Munoz. So, you admit Al Davis is a bad GM. So, all you have basically is hope for a miracle? Nothing realistic to base your faith in the team on? I supposed your positive views on Cable are based on the same hopes and delusions, right?

• edward teach

Can we please stop talking about Jon Gruden and Michael Vick? Neither one of them have anything to do with the Oakland Raiders, unless you count Gruden’s mortgaging the future of the franchise while he was here being part of the problem of the past six years.

• DMunoz26

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:38 pm

______________

I am a Raider fan I take the good with the bad, I have been saying we are not yet contenders but I am delusional? I think Cable is a good coach he has done nothing to disprove that, wanting to give him a chance rather than start all over again isn’t delusional. You think another offensive system is good for Russell, DMac or the O-line? If so you are the one that is delusional

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Trevjo what does Cable’s loyalty have to do with anything? You’re loyal too. Should you be head coach? A serious GM doesn’t hire coaches based on loyalty. He hires them based on expertise and ability. Al Davis hired Kiffin’s freakin’ offensive line coach for crying out loud, who, as far as we know, is still using Kiffin’s playbook. That’s not a coach. That’s not a system. That’s a recipe for disaster. Cable’s “scout’s honor” loyalty not withstanding…

• SnB Defense

jhill Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:36 pm
    SnB Defense Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Therefore, I can understand passing on Raji now.

—————————————————

My work here is done …

LOL!
    =====================================================
    You give yourself too much credit. I would be perfectly fine if the Raiders took Raji with the drug test, because that kid will be a player. If he slips to Denver, we will find out what he is all about for the next 10 years.

Regardless, I will say this. If Gerard Warren and Terdell Sands are manning the NT, the defense will continue to be the WORST UNIT in the NFL and the team will not be successfull.

Sands, Warren and Kelly could only start on 1 team. And that’s the Raiders. Those guys have NO market value.

Let’s hope that kid from the Redskins can put Warren or Sands on the bench

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

DMunoz, we’re all Raider fans. Don’t pull the fan card now.

• TrevJo

#587 Edward, hey, at least we got two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks for the guy. That should have been quite a boost to the future if we didn’t screw it up with bad coaching and bad drafting (Asomugha aside).

• http://www.dontbotherresponding.com Bo Schembechler Jackson

MR,

Gruden was nobody when Al found him. Gruden was only perceived to be a good coach in Oakland thanks to Al’s GM oversight (hence the vets Al brought in). And after he left Al, Gruden gradually returned to his natural coaching level – AVERAGE AT BEST.

Gruden’s success is inversely related to his level of control. In other words, he needs a team to be built for him (ala Al or Dungy), otherwise he will turn a franchise into a a mediocre performer void of good chemistry.

Therefore, I can understand passing on Raji now.

***

S&B: i’ve said this before, you’re a real classy guy. Even though you think run defense is the most important piece of our puzzle, you’re not afraid to pass on a guy that has personal flaws. I’m glad you’re not endorsing him despite the drug issue. There are probably minors present in here. No need to downplay drug use

• SnB Defense

Charlie Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:29 pm
    Sands is an out of shape wasted roster spot.
    He did not even play the second half of the Tampa game.
    Richardson played tackle and Gunheim helped at DE.
    ======================================================
    The Raiders have the worst defensive line in the league. Hopefully the Raiders can get Ron Brace in the 2nd.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Teach, I bring up Gruden as an example to criticize our owner/gm’s poor management. Gruden is on topic. So is Vick, because he’s someone the Raiders can eventually sign. I don’t now what to tell you.

• Coach on Wheels

Draft Market Watch -

Center – Down. Since Mack and the new trade from Miami both are considered Guard candidates it is possible Mack gets a late 1st pick if a trade down occurs,

WR – Up & Down – The Raiders have been looking at 2-3rd round WRs indicating they want a WR BUT not at #7. Maybe not at #40 either. WR seems deep so the team may wait to grab a 3rd rd guy.

OT – Down. Barnes and Henderson don’t eliminate a OT if a top guy drops to #7 but a late rd project to groom behind Barnes (1-year deal) is also possible.

DT – Up. The signing of a camp fodder guy doesn’t bump a Raji-type. It also indicates the team is looking there. If Sands rolls into pre-draft OTAs out of shape (again) this position goes up.

DE – Still high – The team has plugged in a C, LB, DT and OT of some sorts. They’ve been looking at 2-3rd tier WRs. Do the math and Cable’s “we need a DE” talk seems to be a round 1 liklihood. If Okrapo is there…but if Johnson is there do they pass on (another) pass rush DE and wait for a base DE in rd 2?

LB – Even – They’ll likely get a LB later in the draft. Unless a trade down drops someone in their laps.

S – Big need but likely will be a rd 6 special teams / project guy.

• Moose

MR

saw the last 6 weeks of the season

hes jiving u guys lol

• DMunoz26

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    April 2nd, 2009 at 1:41 pm

DMunoz, we’re all Raider fans. Don’t pull the fan card now.
    _______

Why don’t you answer on the change of staff being detrimental to our young offense? If you don’t like what Al is doing then find another team if it bothers you that much. I don’t like some of the moves but I am going to be here good and bad cause this is my team. You are too busy crying over Gruden while I am living in the present with what we do have.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Bo, Gruden was nobody when Al “found” him? Explain this, then.