Absence makes Crabtree’s suitors grow fonder

The Raiders are probably more likely to select Michael Crabtree in absence of a recent 40-yard dash time, rather than less likely.

With Crabtree recovering from stress fracture surgery and cleared medically, he can be as fast as they want him to be.

That’s something you discover while visiting Pro Days and the combine, anyway. Teams have their own scouts take times at these events, and wonder of wonders, the player a scout likes often comes away with the requisite time.

The Cleveland Browns may hold the key to whether we’ll find out the Raiders’ true feelings about Crabtree. There is talk of dealing either Braylon Edwards, Brady Quinn, or both, with the Browns interested in both Crabtree and USC quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Once Crabtree is gone, only two receivers would probably merit the No. 7 pick _ Missouri’s Jeremy Maclin and Maryland’s Darrius Heyward-Bey. The latter is a stretch, but veteran Al Davis watchers feel it’s a possibility because of his blistering combine time as well as the best height-weight-speed numbers at his position.

If the Browns take Crabtree, the only thing for certain is the Raiders will get exactly who they wanted all along at No. 7 _ regardless of whose name is called.

Crabtree? Never heard of him.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• flowbees

1st.. go raiders. the draft is almost here!

• Brien the General 510

Ha! Al is passing on Craptree. You can guarantee that. As a matter of fact I guaranTREE that

• SaintKaufman

Good one Jerry!

• Braveheartraider

If this happens I think Curry falls. Then what?

• inonewordraider

I’m covinced Al wants A Smith. He’s #1 talent and a RT so he wouldn’t step on Khalif’s toes. Al wants to open holes for DMAC and protect JRUSS. If he’s on Iv’e been debating whether he goes Crabs or Raji. I say Raji then DHB in round 2 or Crabs then M Johnson in round 2 but I lean toward the former as to what Al will do

• Tomycar

yea.. lets draft another track star who cant catch.. while our pathetic front 4 couldnt stop my dead grandmother from rushing for 160 yards a game against them…. yea thats Brilliant

• Braveheartraider

Heyward-bey might still be there round 2. What about Robiskie? Guys yesterday forwarded his name.

• Braveheartraider

Cant see Cleveland drafting Sanchez. If they trade its not for a QB. If they want Crabtree at 5 they can have him. No way they trade higher than seven with that package.

• 24

There are too many moving parts in front of the Raiders which leads me to believe that Crabtree won’t be available. There are going to be some big trades this next weekend, its going to throw everything for a loop. I love the excitement of the draft.

• Jerry, thanx for giving us a thread that didnt leave us with a bad taste in the mouth, for us talking football..

• Scottish Raider

Crabtree will be gone before No7.

More and more mocks are suggesting that the first three will be Stafford (Lions), Jason Smith (Rams) and Monroe (Chiefs). There is also educated speculation that the Seahawks will take Sanchez at No4.

That will have two consquences, with Sanchez gone there will be nobody wanting to trade up and it is very likely that Aaron Curry will be on the Board at No7. The Browns will go for Crabtree or Orakpo and the Bengals are focusing on upgrading their Oline – which means Andre Smith.

The Eagles deal for Peters (what a bargain) rules out the most likely trade down option. Sanchez has been visiting with the Donkeys but, Denver will need to deal with Seattle and not the Raiders.

I would love us to get Andre Smith, I would be happy with Michael Oher but, I have a growing inclination that Curry will be playing strongside for the Raiders in 2009.

• Braveheartraider

Scottish
    I’ve been saying for a while Curry would fall. Not sure if its what we need. If Crabtree is gone then its the best tackle left, but plenty teams want Curry. Better to trade down-which we dont do.

• 24

JAGUARS CLOSING IN ON HOLT
    Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 18, 2009, 3:35 p.m.
    Unrestricted free agent wide receiver Torry Holt is on the verge of signing with the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com.

Holt, who also visited the Tennessee Titans, will be joining a receiver-starved football team that has cut ties with failed wideouts Matt Jones, Jerry Porter and Reggie Wiliams this offseason.

Cut by the St. Louis Rams last month after seven Pro Bowl appearances, Holt, 32, has been limited by a recurring knee condition in recent years.

The former North Carolina State star was held to 64 receptions for 796 yards and three touchdowns last season.

According to NFL.com, Holt has caught 869 career passes for 12,660 yards and 74 touchdowns in 10 NFL seasons.

• Braveheartraider

Scottish…
    Where in Caledonia do you hail from?

• NJRaiderfan

i think sanchez will goto seattle. crabtree will goto cleveland once they trade edwards. unless KC sneaks in crabtree and trades gonzalez. that wauld make curry fall. i would love to get him at #7. would also love to trade down from #7 to acquire pick in either the 2nd or 3rd round depending on who we trade with and how far down in the 1st we go. i would love to get in this order

1st – ayers
    2nd – robiski
    3rd – chung

that would help all our needs with quality players. ayers would be great in our 4-3 defense and remember that burgess is a free agent after this year so getting ayers now will be a need we wont need for next year. and would greatly help our defense this year. we have had no pass rush the last 2 years. 2 quality bookends like burgess and ayers would be great. and chung is awsome at stopping the run which is another big need.

• SnB Defense

John Marshall’s defensive line game plan against the NFC East, Steelers and Ravens with the talent on the roster.

• 24

Culpepper lobbied hard for Ronald Curry. I bet the Lions have been leaning on drafting Matt Stafford but at the last minute, they’re going to draft OLB Aaron Curry and that will twist everything.

• Braveheartraider

The trouble with Scotland is that its full of Scots. Aye! Too right! Cheers SnB

• Scottish Raider

NU/Braveheart, I just don’t see many teams wanting to trade up for Curry. He is a great talent but he is best suited to 4:3 schemes and most LB needy teams are looking to play 3:4 – hence the demand for hybrids/tweeners like Orakpo, Maybin and Brown. I think it is unlikely that we will get any trade offers unless Sanchez is still on the Board.

I would be delighted with a LB trio of Howard, Morrison and Curry. SAM isn’t our greatest need but it could be our safest investment.

• 24

To finally add that 3rd linebacker would be awesome. 3 young guys…Howard, Morrison and Curry. It has a great sound.If we could beef up the defensive line to protect these guys, they could wreak so much havok.

• 24

MADDEN SAYS HE WON’T JOIN RAIDERS
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2009, 9:24 a.m.
    During the 2008 season, a rumor was making the rounds among the Bay Area media that John Madden would retire from broadcasting and then join the Raiders in a front-office role.

On Friday, Madden said that, despite his retirement from broadcasting, he won’t be going to work for the Raiders.

“I have too much respect for the game and for Al to think that I can do anything,” Madden said during a daily appearance on KCBS radio, according to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle. “The way the game is today, that’s a 20-hour a day job. You can’t go in part-time or just stick your toe in the water to be a part of a pro football team. You either do it or you don’t.”

Per White, Davis said a couple of years ago that Madden would “have to be considered” as a potential consultant after his run on television ended. During a press conference last September, Davis dropped hints of a potential hire that prompted some to think he was referring to Madden.

“That foot in the bucket, half in, half out, I’ve seen people try that and it doesn’t work,” Madden said. “So there’s no way that I could do anything.”

That said, Bill Parcells has done fairly well for himself in a part-time role with the Dolphins.

But maybe Madden’s concern is that his passion for the game is too great to allow him to do the job on a drive-by basis. So when Madden says it “doesn’t work,” we think he might be referring to the reality that he wouldn’t be able to limit himself to a limited role.

• Raiderjambo

Hey Braveheart, where are you from in Caledonia?

• 24

I tend to think that Madden is too big for Al Davis. You can’t take those 2 big names and put them together. Without intending to, Madden would be stepping on Al Davis’ toes and its obvious that the majority of people love Madden over Al Davis. They are both extremely popular but Al Davis is the Darkside while Madden is the light of the Force. If the Raiders started having any kind of success, you have to wonder whether Davis would get jealous and their relationship would get sour. Sometimes, there can be too many stars on one team and that could be what Madden means when he says it would be disrespectful to Al Davis. Both our icons and he doesn’t want to help diminish that.

• Scottish Raider

One of the reasons that I think the Chiefs will pass on Curry is that Brian Waters has stayed away from Vol Camp and is looking for a trade. It seems inevitable that Waters will go, and that makes it far more likely that the Chiefs will have to draft an OLineman – probably Monroe.

If the Chiefs pass on Curry, I can’t see him going to the Seahawks, Bengals or Browns.

• dickv

To hell with Curry and Rey

Take that kid Kaulua Maulakaaa… the other Polynesian native Hawaiian that is out of USC. The kid is a good player and may as be the next lofa tutupa he is 5″11 229 but he ran a 4.8 and stacks up high on most of the combine measurables. He sounds like the steal of the third round.

Crabtree 1
    Loadholt 2
    km -3
    Chirs Clemmons or Quinn (TE UNC) in 4

We would have a stud o lineman with some beef, a stud WR, a stud middle line backer that Marshall can mold into the next Lofa,

and some other need or freak athelete in the 4th.

• 24

Culpepper is down to 260 pounds, his lightest playing weight since he arrived in the league out of Central Florida.

He was admittedly pushing maximum density a year ago when the Lions brought him in last seaon, having ballooned up to the 290-pound mark.

“I was probably about 290 when I came here last year,” Culpepper said. “When you’re retired, you don’t pay a lot of attention to what you’re eating or how you are working out.

“I was 266 my first year as a starter, and I’m below that now. I feel great right now, but I still think I can get into better shape. I don’t have a number in mind. It is just about the way I feel.”

• Mmmmmmm Caledonia…. I love Caledonia /80 =) hard to come by at these parts of the continent :/

• 24

The Buffalo Bills have struck a two-year deal with unrestricted free agent running back Dominic Rhodes, according to Steve Wyche of NFL.com.

Per the report, Rhodes’ contract is filled with incentive clauses.

A former Indianapolis Colts starter, Rhodes rushed for 538 yards and six touchdowns last season.

As a third-down back last year, Rhodes caught 45 passes for 302 yards and three touchdowns.

For his career, Rhodes has rushed for 3,114 career yards and 26 touchdowns.

UPDATE: In an interview with Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com on Sirius NFL Radio, Rhodes said he was informed by Bills team officials that he could be called upon to start the team’s opening game of the regular season Sept. 14 against the New England Patriots.

Bills Pro Bowl running back Marshawn Lynch has been hit with a three-game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

“They’re looking for big production out of me,” Rhodes said. “I am ready.”

• blackdeath29

end the end it`s all about production.mike mayock has maclin listed at #2 wr in the draft.here is a short clip of the top 5 wr in the draft.

• Wozniacki did it again! LOL this is huge =)

• SnB Defense

blackdeath29 Says:
    April 18th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

=======================================================
    Mike Mayock on Maclin
    “My only concern issue with Mr. Maclin is he is going to have to learn how to run the route tree, he didn’t have to do that at the University of Missouri in their spread offense”

It took the Raiders 2yrs to get Higgins to start running proper routes. No thanks.

Let’s give John Marshall some tools to work with so he won’t have to offer a truce in the face of the NFC East running attacks.

• blackdeath29

end the end it`s all about production.maclin has 22 receiving touchdowns in 28 games.second only to crabtree.

• SnB Defense

blackdeath29 Says:
    April 18th, 2009 at 2:55 pm
    =======================================================
    Production in college though? Missourah threw the ball 2/3rds of the time. How much of this “production” is due to the pass happy nature of the offense.

How many receptions would Robiskie get in the Missourah offense?

• 15yearsold15yearfan

i just looked at mayocks mock draft from last year and he only got 4 picks right

• SnB Defense

I would want a physical receiver at this point. JLH gets down the field and has speed. Schilens has speed and is MORE physical than Maclin.

And I would not want to pay a slot receiver like Williamson (ooops) Maclin $20 million

• blackdeath29

end the end it`s all about production.with 6 td`s on runs from the line of scrimage.maclin has 28 td`s from the offensive side of the ball that`s 28 td`s in 28 games.

• Twocents

I’ll take Curry and I’d put him at MLB.

• SnB Defense

blackdeath29 Says:
    April 18th, 2009 at 3:05 pm
    =======================================================
    If its all about production…then why isn’t Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel not top 10 prospects?

• blackdeath29

end the end it`s all about prodution.with 5 td`s(3pr,2kr)on special teams that`s 33 total td`s in 28 games.second only to crabtree 41 td`s.

• JT52

Wow this new registration is great I quit posting for awhile due to the junk posts that random ppl were making.

Anyways all great insights on what’s to come next weekend. My little piece to add to the forum is that Denver has a lot of fire power at 12 and 18th overall. What is these guys trade with Carolina for peppers?? He wants to be a 3-4 end and denver is making the switch. Do u guys see this happening?

If it does I hope we get a good blocking TE to doublt team him.

• blackdeath29

end the end it`s all about production.

jeramy maclin
    In addition to his exploits as the team’s clutch receiver and third-down specialist (22 of his 55 first-down catches in 2008 came on third-down snaps), Maclin also provided Tiger fans with the opportunity of seeing one of the most explosive kickoff and punt returners in the collegiate game. He would go on to be the only player in school history to score on a reception, a rushing attempt, a punt return and kickoff return.

• JT52

To get a good discussion going:

Who do u want the raiders to pick in this draft and why? Pick your guys for rounds 1-3 and list why you want them.

Personally I have two options I would like either

Option one:

1) Best tackler available at 7 probably michael oher. We do not have enough protection for Russell

2) Robiskie or Barden in round 2 to get some sure handed targets

3) Chip Vaughn SS from wake forest. 220lbs and 4.4 speed

Option two:

1) Crabtree not sure about his speed but both Boldin and Fitz ran 4.7 and look at their production.

2) Rone Brace to be a stop gap

3) Chip Vaughn see above

That’s my picks and they all fill need. I think we have done enough in FA to shore up the line but if Oher can be there for 10 years let him.

• blackdeath29

JT52 ,
    out of the choices i like option 2.
    p.s. bolden ran a 4.7,fitzgerald ran a 4.4.

• # Twocents Says:
    April 18th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I’ll take Curry and I’d put him at MLB.
    ______________________________________________________

and how would you get him?

• 15yearsold15yearfan

Fitz never ran a 40 and if you can prove it post a link

• Twocents

LMN,
    On the off chance that he falls to us at #7.

Just dreaming.

• raiderkoolaid

If Curry falls to 7 I would like The Raiders to take him and then take Brace in Round 2. I think that would dramatically improve the D. I have hopes at WR that Higgins will continue to improve. He is a touchdown just waiting to happen every time he touches the ball. I also hope for improvement from Schilens. He has size and speed. I hope that Walker can come back and give something and that Shields turns out to be a player. It is just hope on all of those WR’s, but I think it is legitimate hope. If we do take a WR I hope he turns out to be a great player, but if we don’t start stopping the run we will not turn this team around.

• NJRaiderfan

1st – ayers
    2nd – robiski or britt
    3rd – chung

• # Twocents Says:
    April 18th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

LMN,
    On the off chance that he falls to us at #7.

Just dreaming.
    ______________________________________________________

LOL, then I would take him too, and use him as a MLB… and then take Robiskie in 2nd!

• Twocents

LMN,

We must be related, someday I will tell you about my Danish bloodlines.