By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 at 3:55 pm in Oakland Raiders.
The Raiders have signed veteran safety Keith Davis, according to the transactions page on Raiders.com
Davis, 30, is primarily a special teams player who started 15 games for Dallas in 2005. In 84 career games, Davis has no interceptions and six passes defensed. Davis had nine starts for Dallas last season.
The JaMarcus party shots
Received a few e-mails ofphotos of JaMarcus Russell holding drinks and posing with friends, originally posted on “partychaser.com” and chances are they’ll continue to be circulated in the coming days, although I won’t post a link to them here.
A few things worth mentioning:
– Who of us hasn’t posed with a drink at a party with friends? If photos of my best friends’s 50th birthday party ever get out . . .
– There is no way to tell how hard Russell was partying or how much he was drinking from a few photos.
– Just think if John Matuszak and Co. had lived in the age of digital photography and cell phones . . .
– All that aside, Russell has to realize that if he poses for a photo that is a less than flattering portrayal, it will be everywhere in the blink of an eye. Just ask Michael Phelps, Matt Leinart and Eli Manning, just to name a few.
– If Russell continues to struggle with his passing, the photos will be used as evidence for his lack of personal discipline even if the two things aren’t related.
If Russell doesn’t know better yet, he should now. And if he still doesn’t get it, someone in a position of authority on the Raiders ought to sit him down and tell him about the pitfalls of celebrity.