Wednesday OTA notes

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 at 12:54 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Notes and quotes from Wednesday’s OTA and interview sessions:

– Quarterback JaMarcus Russell had his best day of practice, or at least his best day in the presence of reporters.

In another day heavy with red zone drills, Russell at one point threw four consecutive touchdown passes, including one on a play in the back of the end zone when he broke to his right and found a leaping Marcel Reece against Tyvon Branch in the back of the end zone.

He also had a strike for a touchdown in what the Raiders expect to be a familiar sight, finding Zach Miller in a seam before the defense could react.

“I think earlier coach kind of emphasized giving the guys a chance,” Russell said. “If they give you a chance to put it in the end zone as far as pass rush, you’ve got to put somewhere in that location where they can catch it. Just give them a chance. We can run the ball all day. Once you get inside the 20, we’re going to take shots at the end zone and that’s what we were lacking.

“We’d get down there sometimes and try to run the ball all three downs and had to kick a field goal. If you don’t take a chance at the end zone, how are you going to get there?”

– A cynic would suggest not to read too much into it _ Michael Huff was playing free safety while Hiram Eugene sat out with a back injury. Eugene joined the team on the field late, then after being stretched extensively by the training staff, did not return for team sessions.

– Flashbacks from 2008 training camp _ wide receiver Todd Watkins making some impressive catches, including one touchdown from Russell in a red zone drill.

– Once again the Raiders did very little in terms of throwing the ball downfield, something coach Tom Cable promises will be a big part of the offense. To be fair, the media days seem to be heavy in the red zone, where there are few deep opportunities.

– Overheard from defensive coordinator John Marshall . . . ‘

“Get the hell out of our drill,” Marshall to offensive linemen who had finished their drill session and straggled through a defensive session en route to the other side of the field.

“Run to the ball black shirts, that’s what you do . . . you run,” Marshall exhorting a faster pace during a team session.

“You guys have got to stiffen it up inside too soft, too soft,” Marshall after Michael Bush ran unimpeded through the middle.

– Overheard from passing game coordintator Ted Tollner . . .

“You’ve got to sell that `go’ better,’ ” Tollner to rookie wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey after he telegraphed a red zone route which was broken up by two defenders.

– Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who missed the last OTA, isn’t counting on the defensive philosophy being much different under Marshall.

“We know the game plan, pretty much know how to play,” Asomugha said. “On defense, it’s going to be the same stuff.”

– Asomugha may get his wish and shadow the opposition’s best receiver on occasion, although he reiterated change isn’t going to be a big in terms of scheme with the Oakland defense.

“Yeah, we talked about that, me and Lionel (Washington) whether it’s shadowing or doing what we’ve done, where we’ll double another guy if he goes to a different side, we’ll be open to mixing it up pretty much,” Asomugha said. “It should be a different feel a little bit but it’s kind of going to be what we had last year and the years before.”

– Players aside from Eugene who were limited included wide reciever Chaz Schilens (hamstring) and lineman Paul McQuistan (knee). Those who did not attend because of what Cable termed “personal” business were defensive tackle Terdell Sands, running back Justin Fargas, defensive end Derrick Burgess, quarterback Jeff Garcia, quarterback Andrew Walter, defensive end Jay Richardson and wide receiver Will Franklin.

– Cable seemed to soften his optimism somewhat on the chance that fullback Oren O’Neal would be ready to go by the start of training camp.

“The injury he has needs a lot of work and a lot of time,” Cable said. “He’ll just continue to do what he’s doing, and he’s progressing. The hope is that he’s ready to go when camp comes.”

– Fullback Lorenzo Neal continued to get plenty of work and even caught two passes out of the backfield in which he turned the corner and rumbled up field. While things could change during training camp, the Raiders don’t appear to be employing a lot of lead man-blocking plays within their zone blocking format to integrate Neal’s biggest strength.

– Cable sees OTAs as a time to play it smart.

“The biggest thing I’m judging right now is how they’re picking it up and are we eliminating the mental errors part of it,” Cable said. “The physical part of it, without pads you can’t judge anything that way. What I want to see is the mental errors, the execution mentally, can we get to a high level and sustain it through practice and eliminate mental errors. That’s really what this whole thing is about.

– Speaking of mental errors, defensive tackle Tommy Kelly jumped offsides at least three more times, a recurring theme this offseason. Kelly also has been quick to penetrate when he guesses right, although Cable doesn’t sound enthused about the possibility of having someone who picks up occasional penalties on gambles.

“Tommy’s a good player, and as I talk to the defense every day, the one common thing they keep hearing from me is more discipline, more discipline, so that kind of fits what you’re saying,” Cable said. “Staying onside, not giving up free yards, free plays, that kind of thing.”

– Khalif Barnes was seen getting reps in place of Mario Henderson for the first time with the first team at left tackle, although Cable said it first happened last Wednesday. He said it was simply a matter of evening out reps.

“Read nothing into that, believe me,” Cable said.

– The Raiders report to training camp July 29, with the first practice the following day. Cable said the Raiders were changing up the format, although he was non-specific. There likely won’t be as many night practices, he said. The club is also working on having the 49ers to Napa for a second straight year, the days and times to be determined.

– Quarterback Charlie Frye was on hand, wearing No. 3, but got no work in seven-on-sevens or team drills as Russell and Bruce Gradkowski got all the snaps.

Frye said he is fine with entering into a situation where Russell is the quarterback of the future and Garcia is counted on as the veteran backup.

“I think I’m a competitor. I think competition brings out the best in me,” Frye said. “With what happened in Cleveland, when me and Derek (Anderson) battled, with Brady Quinn, for that one year, I thought it really brought the best out of my game. So I like competition. That’s why you play the game – to have a chance to compete.”

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

HUh?

• hwnrdr

Frye the motivator! Hey, what ever works!!!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

LET FRYE AND GARCIA FIGHT 2 THE DEATH ON ONE OF THE PRACTICE FIELD’S. WINNER MAKES THE TEAM,LOOSER BUY’S HIS OWN TICKET HOME..

• OAKlifer

Frye???

I love Futureramma, Bender is My fav tho!!! reminds me of boberts real dad!!!

Southwick for Rookie of the Year!!!!!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

MAYBE NOT QUITE 2 THE DEATH..

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Lol, I knew you guys wouldn’t let me down! An entire night of people claiming they kicked each other’s asses! Awesome.

cliffbranch Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Again, I am only looking at the years from 1983 to 2002. No propaganda, just facts. I already admitted that the last six years are horrible…I just have a problem with the earlier statement that the Raiders have been consistently horrible for the last 25 years. It’s just not true.
    __________________________________________

For the record, I said consistently poor, not consistently horrible (and I didn’t exclude the past 6 season like this guy)…hovering around a .500 winning percentage is consistently poor…this is the Raiders we are talking about, we are supposed to measure success by SB victories, but now apologist fans who want to claim we are like any other football team and just making the playoffs a few times should make us happy, lol.

WRONG. JUST WIN SUPER BOWLS BABY!

But a playoff appearance in 2009 or 2010 would seem like a SB victory at this point, that is how low we have dropped, but it wouldn’t make us a successful team once again. We need to get back on top.

• Raider Dell

Dakota

“HELLS BELLS”

Hells Bells indeed.

• Raider Dell

Dakota

My thoughts and prayers were thinking about you last night. I wanted to provide you with a uplifting Thursday morning smile.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

I might need it if the Lakers lose tonight Dell…thanks. Well, my furniture might needs some prayers anyhow.

Much appreciated.

• Raider Dell

Dakota

The Magic played their best game a few nights back, and the lakers their worst. Yet the lakers lost only by four.

Kobe doesn’t have to many bad games back to back. They will need one win in Orlando, and will take care of business at home.

Someone tell Bynum it’s ok to show up and have a impact.

Later

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Where the heck is everyone this morning?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

I’m getting way too much work done.

• Pingback: The RaiderCast | Wednesday OTA notes

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

What do you guys think of the Dems new health care proposal and how they plan on paying for some of it? They want to make your employee health care benefits taxable income. However, they are still going to allow you to get about $11,500 to $13,000 (family plan) in health care benefits before they start taxing you…they think it will generate $400 billion over the next ten years…they need $1.2 to $1.5 trillion to soc1alize our health care system in ten years…

This is a plan once brought up by Bush and McCain, and Obama slammed McCain for suggesting it during the elections…but now that if might further his agenda the Dems are pushing it….

I am more nervous about how they plan on obtaining the remaining $800 billion to $1.1 trillion they still need to implement their social1zation plan…maybe roll back the mortgage payment deductions? Maybe raise capital gains taxes? Maybe reduce the state and local taxes deductions? Maybe steal from people’s 401Ks? maybe pull out of 1raq too early? Maybe scale back the US military?

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Dakota, you’ve spent too much time with rpublicans, you’re picking up bad habits.
    They want to make your employee health care benefits taxable income.-Is just a lie. The rest smacks of Truthiness:
    1. truthiness (noun)
    1 : “truth that comes from the gut, not books” (Stephen Colbert, Comedy Central’s “The Colbert Report,” October 2005)
    2 : “the quality of preferring concepts or facts one wishes to be true, rather than concepts or facts known to be true” (American Dialect Society, January 2006)
    There isn’t a ealth Care plan yet but everyone on your “side” thinks they know what it is.

• 4evaRaider

how about making TRADE fair between the U.S and China???

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

You realize we have had for years soc1alized Police force, fire dept. Medicare.

RaiderTW Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:14 am
    ____________________________

A lie?

By Richard Wolf, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON — The biggest tax break in America — tax-free health benefits from employers — could be scaled back to pay for President Obama’s overhaul of the nation’s health care system.

Tax-writing committees in Congress are considering a cap on the tax break, so that higher-income employees or those with generous insurance policies would pay taxes on part of their value. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., who plans to unveil his health care proposal next week, has said he favors limiting the tax break.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

could be
    considering a cap
    favors limiting the tax break
    Truthiness

RaiderTW Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:17 am

You realize we have had for years soc1alized Police force, fire dept. Medicare.
    _________________________

Lol, and we can’t afford those either, but now we are going to add health care to the list?

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Besides when do YOU read that “liberal media” monger ard Wolf?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Well before it was a lie, now it is truthiness? Which is it TW?

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Taxing Health Care is what you guy McCin ran on now you’re against it?
    FLIP FLOP!!!

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

facts one wishes to be true, rather than concepts or facts known to be true is a LIE.

• BadMoodGuy

You are the Jay Cutler of Raiders fans, you only like the Raiders when they win.

RaiderTW Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:21 am
    Besides when do YOU read that “liberal media” monger ard Wolf?
    ___________________________

I guess I read him this morning.

TW, just because you limit yourself to liberal spewing media outlets, doesn’t mean that I only review conservative media outlets…I get my news from multiple and diverse sources…I don’t need to just read articles that boost my side of things…only people that watch Keith Olbermann do that.

RaiderTW Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:22 am
    Taxing Health Care is what you guy McCin ran on now you’re against it?
    FLIP FLOP!!!
    __________________________
    TW, I think you are having your normal knee jerk, paranoid reaction to what I wrote…I never said I was against the taxation plan, lol. Read it again.

RaiderTW Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:23 am
    ———————————–

I guess you are calling this guy a liar?
    Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

only people that watch Keith Olbermann do that.
    ———
    There’s is an absolute statemaent from a narrow mind.
    Who says I don’t watch O’Rielly for a laugh? I see what goes on with the other side it’s just a hypocritical trick to use info from the “Other side” when you yourself don’t believe it, isn’t it?

• DeuceDeuce

Raider Dell Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 8:16 am
    Dakota

Someone tell Bynum it’s ok to show up and have a impact.

Later
    ____________

How did the Lakers play their worst game? They shot over 50%….Watch some basketball..thats a great shooting night….Even had phantom calls send Kobe to the line…The Magic defense hasnt been close to they way theyve played all postseason.

Were a missed layup from being up 2-1 in this series.

RaiderTW Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:33 am

There’s is an absolute statemaent from a narrow mind.
    ____________________________________
    TW, lol, come on man, because I voted for McCain means I can’t use a liberal media outlet’s words to pose a question? If I had used a fox article you would have thrown a conniption fit too, lol. You Dems have very thin skin.

• 4evaRaider

again,fix or adjust the trade imbalance with ch!na.Buy American people

• 4evaRaider

I dont mean buy american people either.Thats already happened

TW,

Are you still mad because of that time you came in here declaring that Keith Olbermann was winning the news ratings war against Bill O’Reilly and I pointed out that his claim was based only on one tiny fragment of viewership?

What was that fragment again? Homosexual males between the ages of 18 and 40 living in Colorado? Yeah, I think that was it, lol…hey, don’t you live in Colorado and watch Olbermann?

4evaRaider Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:42 am
    again,fix or adjust the trade imbalance with ch!na.Buy American people
    ___________________

I’d do that, but I shop at Wal-mart…I don’t think they have many american made goods.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

———
    But your question was posed as fact by Richard Wolf. Even he didn’t pose it as fact.
    You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. You weren’t complaining about taxing health care?

• 4evaRaider

Damn good point,as usual Dakota.I didnt think of that and was just there getting a tire-repair kit made in oh never mind =)

• 4evaRaider

WHAT OOOOH WHAT ARE WE EVER GONNA DOO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

• destrilogy

If the raiders win the superbowl. im going to cry.

new post up

• 4evaRaider

That MUST be some good sheet Oaklifer =)

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

Dakota, I’m not mad, not THAT thin skinned, I like our discussions. You are right I did assume & “have a normal knee jerk reaction” to what I wrote…I never said I was against the taxation plan.Paranoid? Sorry I called you narrow minded but I’m not paranoid or gay. Altho I should be paranoid after all obama still lets the C!A listen in whenever. Constitutional rights are changing for the worse. I’m at work so I have to do this intermittetly. And my spelling is getting worse.