Who’s missing at Wednesday OTA

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 at 9:50 am in Oakland Raiders.

As the Raiders completed stretching and broke into position groups for drills, the following players were not present:

P Ricky Schmitt, QB Jeff Garcia, P Shane Lechler, PK Sebastian Janikowski, WR Arman Shields, QB Andrew Walter, RB Justin Fargas, FS Hiram Eugene, S Mike Mitchell, FB Oren O’Neal, DE Derrick Burgess, WR Javon Walker, DT Terdell Sands, DE Jay Richardson.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (hamstring) was on the field running through drills with the receivers, and DT Gerard Warren (pectoral) was also suited up.

This doesn’t preclude the possibility of some players appearing from the locker room after this post . . . will check in later.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

O,

Relax buddy, running fast in a straight line is the most important WR skill, catching the ball isn’t very important.

• 4evaRaider

lolololololololololololollolo

• 4evaRaider

Three horns, interview time.
    3 minutes ago from mobile web

• SnB Defense

CJ Legend,

I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way about Michael Bush.

I think he should be the primary running back….he could be like Michael Turner…except he can throw and catch the ball….Quite frankly, Justin Fargas should be traded or benched. I don’t see how you can play 3 running backs in a game successfully.

The carries should be something like 20+ carries to Bush and 10 to 15 carries for DMAC with DMAC getting additional touches through the passing game.

Stop this B.S’n around with trying to gerryrig a way to give Fargas carries because of his loyalty to Cable.

What would Bill Belicheck and other do. Just play the best players and be done with it.

• CJ Legend 34

4evaRaider Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:26 am
    2B fair DHB is going against Nnamdi or CJ man this kid is gonna be great practing against the BEST!!!,imo

———————————————-

That is a good point man. Playing aginst Nnamdi and CJ will payoff. I just have this gut feeling DHB can be a special player man. It is going to take some time!!!

• SnB Defense

D-HB will have some transition time to deal with in 2009. Chaz Schilens will be the main man this year…in fact he will be the main guy for the forseeable future.

DHB will be a great number 2 option….but I believe in the long-run Schilens is your guy.

• Chris in NY

# SnB Defense Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:29 am

CJ Legend,

I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way about Michael Bush.

——————–

Ditto.

• DKnight007

Raider O Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:23 am
    DHB Dropped another pass!!

^^^^^^
    OMG!!! It’s time to pull your hair out!!

Sheesh….

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Well Jerry said that Burgess isn’t at the OTA’s, but I better consult Victor Vicodin to make sure this isn’t just media spin.

• Chris in NY

SnB,
    Who do you think should be getting the bulk of carries late in the game?

On the one hand, Bush’s two biggest runs came at the end of games in which the defenses were already worn down. Perhaps at that point, defenses don’t have the mental and/or physical will to bring down a big back like Bush.

On the other hand, give McFadden openings like the ones Bush got in the 4th quarter vs. Tampa Bay and he’ll easily take it the distance from anywhere on the field.

I really don’t know the answer. My gut feeling is to run Bush heavy early and give DMac a good amount of touches as a runner/WR, but keep DMac fresh enough to take advantage of worn out defenses late in the game. What do you think?

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

D

How the hell does Kobe miss 5 free throws?! When was the last time that dude missed 5 free throws in a game? That one he missed late was painful, he was repeatedly punching himself in the forehead.

Will the Lakers just hurry up and end this sh1t already?! The Magic shouldn’t even be making this thing close. Where’s that killer instinct that all Championship teams have? Put your foot and their throat and don’t let up until every last breath of life has expelled. Or something like that..

• 4evaRaider

Sounds real good 2 me Chris

• Chris in NY

# Raider O Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:15 am

TH is doing well, I think he will have a PB year with Marshall at DC.

———————-

Totally agree. Howard is one of the hidden gems in the NFL. Most athletic LB in the league, IMO. Why the Raiders haven’t used him more as a blitzer is beyond ridiculous. If Marshall uses him like that a reasonable amount of the time, he’ll have double-digit sacks.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

“Russell fumbled snap, first of day, the guy is showing more fire about mistakes each week.”

Not bad for someone that doesn’t care…

• DMAC

It’s all money Dogg!

• http://atm Raider O

DK,

I was playing bro!!

• http://raidermight.com RaiderMight

For those of you who can’t see twitter from home, check out this proxy page I set up: http://www.colchado.com/raidermight/twitterproxy.aspx?twitteruser=bydavidwhite

Comes from one of my domains, which your company doesn’t block and lets you see the page.

• DMAC

Marshall+Peterson= pro bowl
    Marshall+Howard= Pro bowl

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

DMAC

I’m not a Laker fan or a Magic fan, but the officiating has been piss poor at best. I am so tired of officials influencing the games’ outcome.

I wish the NBA was more like the NHL in the playoffs, just let ‘em play!

• http://atm Raider O

DMAC,

He was covered, but I was playing!

• DMAC

If Kobe or Lebron screams while going up for a basket it’s a foul automatically

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

DMAC Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:44 am
    If Kobe or Lebron screams while going up for a basket it’s a foul automatically”

Players slip and fall and they call a foul on the nearest guy.

• SnB Defense

Chris in NY,

Preferably, you see more Bush late in the game because tired defenses will start arm tackling. you can’t bring down a guy like Bush with arm tackles. He punished Tampa and gave K.C fits.

However, I wouldn’t even get that sophisticated in trying to get a particular player more carries at any time in the game.

Just call the plays given down and distance and feed the ball to Bush and DMAC. Some games you might end up with a DMAC vs. K.C type game….the next game it could be a Michael Bush smashes Tampa type of game. Cable should always call the plays as the game dictates.

The bottom line is that both DMAC and Bush need to get 15 or more carries a game each.

This nonsense of handing out 8 to 10 carries (which is what will happen if they try to get all 3 the ball) will not allow any running back to get any traction. Which in the end leads to frustration, losses and a top 10 draft pick in 2010

• DMAC

Thanks raidermight, but it still doesn’t work for me

• http://raidermight.com RaiderMight

Does anyone know if they will be doing two sessions today?

• http://raidermight.com RaiderMight

Oh well. I guess they do a lot more other connections to Twitter.com than I thought.

• DMAC

Hey Dogg
    It goes way back from the MJ days
    Couldn’t breathe on the guy

• Chris in NY

I was listening to a BSPN podcast with Mark Schlereth yesterday. They were mostly talking about the 49ers QB battle but then briefly touched on the QB situation across the bay.

Schlereth: I’m going to make a prediction. By Week 5 Jeff Garcia will be the starting QB in Oakland.

Which reminds me, I’d like to start a list of all the joker NFL analysts like Schlereth, Peter King, etc. who are already writing off JaMarcus as a bust, and a separate list of writers/analysts who have said it’s too early for that kind of talk (including Jerry Mac) or who are on record saying JaMarcus will be very good. This way, when (hopefully) JaMarcus tears it up, we can hold clowns like Schlereth accountable for their ridiculous comments and not let them pretend like they knew it all along as they usually do.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

DMAC

What about officials that are on the far side of the court calling inside fouls that they don’t even have a clear view of?

• lefty12

Fargas has been loyal to the team not just Cable.i know you guys hate him,but don’t make sh!t up to back-up your points.

• DMAC

I don’t hate Huggy Bear, but there’s two backs better than him who should be touching the ball much more

• http://atm Raider O

Fargas can block, DMC needs work, and I don’t know if Bush can.

• http://atm Raider O

I Didn’t see enough of Bush to tell if he is a good blocker or not.

• lefty12

bull-all you guys either want him traded or cut.then you come back and say we don’t hate him,we just don’t want him getting any playing time.granted,Bush and Mac both have more talent but Fargas has been a great team player ever since he has been on the team.also,since all 3 have pretty much the same YPC avg.,why not let Fargas get carries early when the Def is fresh,then hammer them with Bush and Mac-that is if you are going to give Fargas any carries at all.

• http://atm Raider O

Lefty,

I agree that Fargas has been very loyal, and is a good leader. We have 2 young RBs that are able to help the team a lot more than Fargas, they need to play more.IMHO

• SnB Defense

lefty12 Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:49 am
    =======================================================
    First of all I don’t “hate” Fargas. Second, why should loyalty to the team have ANYTHING to do with who is starting in the lineup? What is loyalty by the way? Are you telling me that Ashlie Lelie wasn’t “loyal”? How about Ronald Curry battling back from several knee surgeries? Art Shell is a Raider?

Look, its business man. You have to play the best talent. To me, Bush and DMAC can be SPECIAL running backs….game changers….guys that can go in and take over a game. Justin Fargas is a decent running back. He can give you good carries, but too many of his games last year were not impact games…they didn’t dictate the tone.

I just think trying to find a way to get 3 backs enough carries will end in failure. Bush and DMAC are younger, stronger and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Get the playmakers on the field! Same with Johnnie Lee Higgins. He should be on the field more as well.

RaiderMight Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:42 am

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

AWESOME. Thanks!

• http://atm Raider O

Lefty,

I don’t think they have the same YPC AVG. DMC and Bush were around 4.5, and he was under 4 as I remember sir.

• DMAC

Lefty
    Do you want loyalty or wins?

• DMAC

The NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA are businesses

• lefty12

i too believe Bush and Mac should be the main backs in our running game,but i don’t dislike Fargas like most of you.he has been a good Raider.

• http://atm Raider O

I don’t dislike Fargas, but I think DMC and Bush should get more carries. Fargas can be our 3rd RB on the Depth Chart, he is still a leader and has a lot of passion for the raiders.

• http://atm Raider O

Kirk and Fargas grew up as Raiders Fans!! I like both players a lot based on that alone.

• SnB Defense

Lefty12,

Al Davis and the Raiders have set up Fargas’ fate. You don’t draft a running back with the 4th overall pick and then use him as a freakn role player…..Michael Bush was drafted at the top of the 4th round, nurtured back to health, and kept on the roster despite several trade offers…to have him be a goal line running back.

And as for Fargas. he can’t stay healthy. he can’t catch the ball out of the ball field and his yards per carry last year was uninspiring. If he wasnt’ 29 it might not be an issue. But at 29 he needs to be in full stride and meeting his full potential.

• lefty12

Bush showed he wasn’t a team player last year,IMO.Mac didn’t play more than 3 games in a row without getting hurt.while i’d love to see Mac get at least 30 touches a game,we don’t really know if he can handle it.so many on here worry about Russell,we should be concerned that Mac can be a 30 touch guy.
    btw,O,Bush is a very good blocker according to Cable,hence why they wanted him to play FB last year when all our other FBs were injured.the problem with both him and Mac is they weren’t adapt at picking up blitzes last year.hopefully both will show tremendous improvement in that area this year.

• Chris in NY

Raider O,
    I don’t think fans hate Fargas at all, it’s just that we have two young backs who have shown tremendous potential whereas Fargas has been pretty good and plays very hard but has never really great.

McFadden was a two-time Heisman runner-up. Bush was among the top-5 Heisman favorites the year he broke his leg in at the end of a game he ran for something like 150 yards and a few TDs. They’ve both shown elite ability in college and flashes that their ability translates very well to the NFL in the few chances they’ve had. We just think it only makes sense to see more of them out there than to keep them on the sidelines while an OK/good veteran back like Fargas takes a big chunk of the carries.

• DKnight007

RaiderDogg Says:
    June 10th, 2009 at 11:49 am
    DMAC

^^^^^
    Directly from JOEY CRAWFRAUD….one of David Sterns THE puppetmasters hand picked PUPPETS!

Crawford was making shady weird calles all game long yesterday!

It was a joke and he should be FIRED!

• lefty12

yea,we sure saw how Macfadden could stay healthy last year.how many RBs stay healthy for all 16 games a year?i’d guess not many.Fargas isn’t any more injury prone than other RBs.

Fargas? He is the perfect guy to come off the bench and be ready at a moments notice. And he’ll make millions being prepared to come in. But thats his role this year (I hope) and nothing more.

Its not like we’re talking about the second coming of Vance Mueller:

• http://atm Raider O

Chris,

I agree. I was very happy with the Bush pick, so I didn’t want DMC.
    After a few games, I understood why we drafed him. It wasn’t just the speed, in one game he had 3 tackles!! He wants to win, he can catch, run, and he can score on every touch. Amazing talent!!