Update: Ellis to sign with Raiders

Greg Ellis could be the most recent veteran leader to be added to a youthful Raiders roster, according to AOL’s NFL Fanhouse.

UPDATE: The word I’m getting is the Raiders have been working diligently to bring Ellis aboard and it appears likely he’ll be brought aboard this week and be on hand for this week’s OTA.

Ellis is a respected NFL veteran who fits in with the signings of Jeff Garcia and Lorenzo Neal, a veteran who hopefully not only has something left to offer as a pass rusher but as a leader in a unit which could use that type of presence.

It remains to be seen whether Ellis has anything left or is another Greg Spires, who came to the Raiders in similar circumstances last season but failed to make the 53-man roster.

The Raiders have not confirmed this signing. They have their final OTA starting Tuesday, with media availability on Wednesday.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://cosmicdanceband.com Silver-n-Black666

Uno

• OAKlifer

well I would like to see the kids earn a spot but Ellis is lightyears better then Spires and has alot left imho. If he were to be healthy that would give us more leverage in the handleing of Burgess.. Who Im on record saying we should keep this is his last chance for a huge payday he will show up big time!!!

• http://cosmicdanceband.com Silver-n-Black666

If Greg Ellis is better against the run than Burgess see you later Derrick !!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Depth baby!

666,

Only if we get fair trade…no moss for gargage deal here!! there was a great post/cloumn the other day about how Raider players are deemed less valuable due to their situation Moss for exsample!! I say no less then a fourth rounder with incentives to move up to a 3rd if he reaches double digit sacks!!! Dont let him walk for free though could you imagine A couple of Stout DE’s against the run then bring in burgess and who ever else to rush the QB….could work wonders for our lackluster Run D!!!!!

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

OAKlifer Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 9:00 am
    The greatest irony: The Laker HOFer becomes synonymous with the Clippers
    888*******************************

Funny some kids dnt even know Elgin played in the Other LA…….only as a clipper!!!
    ——————————-
    Last Laker note for a bit, Elgin played for no other NBA team but the Lakers in Mpls and L.A. Never played for the Clippers. Donald Sterling was looking for a name when he moved the Clippers from San Diego to L.A.
    Like Babe Ruth wanting to manage the Yankees, Baylor was not qualified to GM Jerry Buss’s best friends team.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Thanks Dell for the words on the last thread. I can’t wait for the day that I get to enjoy an Oakland Raiders SB victory; it will be ten times sweeter than what I am feeling right now I am sure.

• http://raidermight.com RaiderMight

I have no problem with this signing (if they didn’t give him the rest of the bank). He should be able to help the rooks come along a bit.

Burgess and his yearly stomach flu are starting to get old. :)

I doubt he makes a huge impact, but if he can be around for the rooks, it would be a good addition.

• Luvthynation

With all the transactions that we`ve made at D end through the draft and free agency coupled with the inactivity at all of the OTA`s.This all but spells the end of Burgess`s tenure as an Oakland Raider. Personally I think he is when healthy the best pass rusher that we`ve had since Pat Swilling.I hate to see that production go. Oh well when was the last time Burgess played a full season anyway.

Dakota Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 9:20 am

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

And on that fateful day I will be the first to proclaim: CRISSY CARTER, HOWZ AL’S AZZ TASTE!?!?

exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 9:19 am
    **********************************
    thanks for the history lesson coach/gm…got it!!

love my sports but not much a student of B-ball I’m a Blazer fan thats about where I draw the line like
    march maddness aswell….but geuss I shouldn’t talk about lakers b-ball on a Raider blog without knowledged! I just Racked My self Romie would be proud!!!!!!
    BUT LONG LIVE RAIDERS AND ALL THIER TRADITION!!! something I will never forget and always know!!!!

• YoungAmerican

Great signing, I think. I’ve been saying we need some more veteran leadership on the defensive side, and when Ellis was released I was secretly hoping he’d somehow make it to the Raiders. Glad Al got this one done. Having to rely on Jay Richardson and a bunch of younger guys when Burgess doesn’t feel like playing is not a good situation to be in. We paid for our lack of depth on the d-line last year, so hopefully between the young guys and a seasoned veteran we can at least plug a few more holes.

Greg Ellis? Wow, run D problem solved!

Right?!?

• raidertay

Here is an interesting write up on Greg Ellis. Sounds like he had a really good year last year….

Ellis was drafted in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. He had his best season in 2004 in which he had nine sacks, 44 tackles, and one forced fumble.

At the end of the 2005-2006 football season, Ellis stated that he was not sure if he would return to the Dallas Cowboys due to decreased playing time, saying ” “I just think obviously he (Bill Parcells) just feels that I don’t fit into the scheme the way he wants me to fit, or I’m not that guy he’s looking for.” Parcells was changing the Cowboys’ base defense from its traditional 4-3 scheme to the 3-4 scheme for which Parcells was noted; Ellis wasn’t sure he could be productive as a 3-4 defensive end, as at 280 pounds, Ellis didn’t have ideal size to take on stronger, heavier offensive tackles from an inside position. Ellis’ snaps appeared to decrease down the stretch. His 121-game streak as a starter ended December 4 against the New York Giants when he was replaced in the lineup by rookie Chris Canty.

On June 6, 2006 Ellis said he wanted to see a “commitment” from the Cowboys before he fully accepts a new role with the team. After participating in the mandatory three-day mini-camp Ellis skipped the last two days of organized team activity practices (OTA’s).

Ellis became the starting strong side linebacker in Bill Parcell’s 3-4 Defense. Parcells thought that Greg reminded him of Willie McGinest, a former player of Parcells that had made the switch from defensive end to linebacker. Through the first eight games, the transition was successful. Unfortunately, in a game against the Arizona Cardinals on November 12, 2006, Ellis went down with a torn Achilles tendon when pass rushing and missed the remainder of the season. For 2006 season, Ellis had 30 tackles, three forced fumbles, and 4.5 sacks in eight games.

During the 2007 offseason, Ellis created a stir in the Cowboys Training Camp by making it very clear that he wanted to renegotiate his contract to make for more money up front. Despite his complaints about his contract, Ellis has contributed greatly to the Cowboys training camp, taking the young players under his wing and mentoring them while he has been unable to practice.

Ellis returned for their Week 4 game against the St. Louis Rams. Although not a starter, Ellis did have his first quarterback sack in over a year in that game. He finished the season co-leading the Cowboys with 12.5 sacks. His incredible comeback from a possible career-ending injury and his 12.5 sacks were enough to get him the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award. On January 30, 2008, Ellis was voted into the Pro Bowl for the first time as an injury replacement.[1]

Ellis was released on June 2, 2009.

• raidertay

Sounds like Ellis prefers to play in a 4-3.

• AZ Raider

What a plethra of information here!!!!! how am I going to remember all of this stuf??????

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Another case of a team not wanting to pay a 30+ yr old vet. We might have gotten ourselves a player.

• ottocrat

Hey, as long as they didn’t overpay him, I think it’s a good signing.

• Luvthynation

Ellis had 8 sacks in 08 and 12.5 sacks in 07. 20.5 sacks in 29 games means that this was a good signing.

• Luvthynation

Now if we could have Burgess on one side and Ellis on the other for a full season now that would be awesome and of course a miracle.

Defense
    NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT EXP COLLEGE
    56 Derrick Burgess DE
    59 Jon Condo DE
    58 Kalimba Edwards DE
    92 Derrick Gray DE 23
    97 Greyson Gunheim DE
    93 Tommy Kelly DE
    58 Slade Norris DE
    98 Jay Richardson DE
    99 Matt Shaughnessy DE
    96 Stryker Sulak DE

and Ellis….hmmmmmmmmmmm 11 DE’s even tho Kelly is more like a comp eater and condo should be listed as Back up LB but still alot of camp bodies… who stays and who goes??????

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

I think you can take Edwards, Condo and Kelly off that list for various reasons.

various **

obvious***

LOL

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

You could put it that way.

• OAKlifer

congrats to u and yours Dakota I love that feeling!!!!!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Thanks man! I can’t stop smiling. This is how I felt in 2000 when they won the first one after 11 years…the titles in 2001 and 2002 were just a relief that they were able to three-peat. This one was special.

• OAKlifer

yup theres nothing like earning it!! and your boys did just that!!! ALL of ‘em imho…even the bench was hitting on all cylinders!!!

• RaiderDave

Jerry,
    I think it is good signing for the Raiders. What do you think?

Prediction: If the Raiders can win thier first game, they will have a winning season.

David

• dhitz71

Sounds like they getting rid of somebody or
    Burgess is trade bait.

*************
    Dave,

Good prediction bro eating up the dis-chargers will do more than put one in the win column it opens alot of young guys/vetrans eyes lets them know hey we CAN beat any team any sunday if we WORK!!!!!

Russell 14-26 238 yrds 2td’s 1 int
    Mcfadd 12 carries-85 yrds 4 rec 55yrds 1 td
    D-line 3 sacks
    DB’s 2 picks

OAK 28 SD 17

WE WIN PASS THE KOOL-AID!!!

• http://atm Raider O

What’s up Nation?

That’s why I wanted Kobe Vs. James!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

You’ll have to wait for next year Raider O.

• http://atm Raider O

I like Ellis, I think he has a few years. he played well last year.

• dhitz71

Raiders need to go either 2-1 to start the season for us to have a chance. We need to block better need our WR to get open. Thats was a major problemo last year. Defense….get your charmin middle together so we can stop the run ala Tackles…Kelly and Sands…Our LB’s are pro bowlers if you can stop the run. But those guys OLAY defenders let the LB get RB coming at them full speed.

Dakota Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:28 am
    You’ll have to wait for next year Raider O.

************************

Blazers will beat LA in the WCF you’ll need to wait for a couple years O…

• SnB Defense

Oaklifer,

I hope DMAC is getting more than 15 touches.

I hope that Michael Bush gets more than 12 carries

I hope the run defense can contain LT and Sproles

I hope Cable doesn’t forget about JLH as a wide receiver

• http://atm Raider O

Dakota,

Isn’t James a FA now? Maybe the lakers will sign him, but what happens to Kobe then!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

RaiderO, Lebron is a FA in 2010…I am sure he’ll be a Laker eventually.

That’s why I wanted Kobe Vs. James!**********
    ***************************************

my favorite hip-hop line right now!!1LOL
    think its the GAME

“I got a million dollars say LeBron dnt get a ring I be on the floor like hey Kobe! You know me, You know another brother that can score 82 show me!!”

Sorry guys!!! couldnt help it!!!

Mornin O!!

• http://atm Raider O

OAK,

Blazers!! Not for a few years, but not if they sign James! ;)

James,

Go to Magic or the Blazers, and you will win it all.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

James, go to NY and never win a title…but you’ll have plenty of puppet commercials and a lot more money!

• http://atm Raider O

James to the Bulls, Magic, or Blazers in 2010!

Pls God, not the Lakers!! How can I like James if he is a laker!!

SnB Defense Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:31 am
    Oaklifer,

I hope DMAC is getting more than 15 touches.

I hope that Michael Bush gets more than 12 carries

I hope the run defense can contain LT and Sproles

I hope Cable doesn’t forget about JLH as a wide receiver

**********************
    ALL SOLID WINNING POINTS!!!!!

The first two will go along ways in deciding our w-l record this year!!

The Third better hold true to all RB’s and oppossing lineman!!

And Cable better be making WAAAY better decisions this year about who plays and wjo gets the ball!!

This might be the first time in a LONG while we have too much talent and not enough balls hope Cable distributes properly!!!!

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Raider O Says:
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:32 am
    Dakota,

——————————————————
    1 more year till FA. But with the Chinese influx of money and LJ’s China connections it is probable he resigns in Cleveland. Especially if they get Shaq, Even at 38, he greatly improves their center play over 2+ rpg Ben Wallace.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Blazers could be tough in the coming years…if they stay healthy and don’t panic and trade away their young core of players.

• OAKlifer

but not if they sign James!

James,

Go to Magic or the Blazers, and you will win it all.

********************************************

Lebron who?????? We have Brandon Roy!!! well unless lebron could run the point and!!!……..hmmmm to bad it wasnt a bigger market!!

if they stay healthy !!!
    ***********************************
    Is that an Oden bash?? LOL

• http://atm Raider O

OAK,

I like the Game, Gangsta Pudding!!
    Taking it Ol school.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

yes it was, lol…nice catch Oaklifer.

O,

I was raised the right way love all music!!! my Dad took me to shorleine to see my first Dead show many moons ago….he never was biased and always listened to our music I was lucky now I consider all forms of music art yes evenrap to all you haters out there!! I feel blessed not to have a narrow “music” mind!!