Cable: Garcia on his way, ready to play

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 at 7:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.

When we last saw Jeff Garcia in Napa, he was making his way out of the field house to the Marriott and conceding his calf was taking more time than he thought to heal.

It began on July 31, with Garcia being a spectator even in the “learning intensive” practices which were low on physical stress. At the time, Cable said, “we’re just trying to keep him fresh for Monday.” That was more than two weeks ago.

If Garcia ever had a sliver of hope of unseating JaMarcus Russell for the starting job _ and he seemed to fluctuate on that topic from interview to interview _ it evaporated as he watched from afar, detatched from a team he is unlikely to ever call his own.

Garcia, according to coach Tom Cable, should arrive in Napa tonight, is healthy enough to practice and will be the No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart when the Raiders practice at 3:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday with the San Francisco 49ers.

He was not with the team Saturday or Sunday, staying at home to tend to “ personal business.”

“I think it’s going to be great,” Cable said. “He’s champing at the bit as much as I am, to get here and to be here and all that . . . it’s just, you’ve got to take care of your body and he does a good job of that.

“The thing just flared up so rather than press it out there and put him in a situation (like what) happened last year in Tampa, want to take care of that so when we get him back, we get him back ready to go.”

During practice, Russell and Garcia don’t seem to interact much. Russell said it is different in the meeting room.

“Whatever goes on, he has an input in it,” Russell said. “If you can use it, take it but if it’s something that you’re not used to doing then you get to let him keep the better end of the stick and go from there. It is good to get some advice from someone.”

More news and notes:

– The Raiders signed an outside linebacker, but it wasn’t one who will add a Hall of Fame resume to their media guide.

Instead, it’s Morlon Greenwood, 31, who last played for the Houston Texans. Cable said Greenwood’s arrival allows the Raiders to be careful with Isaiah Ekejiuba, who sustained a shoulder surgery against Dallas _ one that he has had before.

Greenwood’s role will be as a reserve outside linebacker and special teams player. Defensive lineman Derrick Gray was waived to make room for Greenwood.

Ekejiuba said Saturday the injury was no big deal and he’d be out a couple of days. Cable’s stance makes it sounds as if Ekejiuba could be out considerably longer.

– Garcia’s arrival means reduced snaps for either Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Frye, or both. Both threw the ball well toward the end of Sunday’s lone session, with Frye in partciular throwing some nice medium and deep range strikes to Chaz Schilens and Zach Miller.

Frye has still been running No. 3, but looks better than most starters the Raiders have had since Kerry Collins left following the 2005 season.

– The Raiders had a solid team session throwing the ball late in practice, good enough that Cable called it probably the best day we’ve had all camp throwing the football and guys getting in seams on time.”

We’ll assume he wasn’t including the 7-on-7 session where the ball hit the ground or was intercepted on six of seven throws during one stretch, with Russell throwing interceptions to Stanford Routt and Jerome Boyd.

– Chaz Schilens continues to catch everything insight and is easily the most consistent and productive skill position player in camp from day to day.

– Two of Russell’s better throws came on deep sideline touch passes to Shawn Bayes and Johnnie Lee Higgins.

Both came against Ricky Manning, who had struggled in his second Raiders practice after being signed as a free agent.

– Much was made of the “mentoring” of Russell by Garcia, but it’s clear the key figure charged with developing the future of the franchise is quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett.

“Paul has kind of changed the dynamics of the whole thing in terms of how they’re studying, how they’re preparing and the information that he gets back from them, and I think he’s making them all accountable,” Cable said.

– Russell and the offense executed a screen to the right which had Michael Bush off and running down the sideline like a runaway train. Fortunately for Raiders defenders, they didn’t have to try and tackle him.

“That was a touchdown,” Bush said. “I was rumbling.”

– Kirk Morrison was running as the second team middle linebacker behind Ricky Brown, with Jon Alston on the strong side and Thomas Howard on the weak side.

Alston, who has plantar fasciatis, let out a yell in pain after stepping awardly during one drill but never missed a snap.

– Both days against the 49ers Tuesday and Wednesday will be double sessions in pads at 8:20 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

– There were no meetings Sunday night, as friends and families visited Napa for the club’s annual “Family Night.”

– Louis Murphy is still feeling the effects of a big hit he took against Dallas. Not only was he out for the second straight day with a hip injury, but at one point was laying on his side and being worked on by the training staff, almost as if he’d been hurt all over again.

– Gerard Warren and Tommy Kelly were both caught jumping offsides, an occasional problem for the defensive line even though they’re more than familiar with the cadences of the quarterbacks by now.

– Cable said Javon Walker could return after the 49ers game, putting it at “a matter of days.” Walker said Saturday he expected to be back Aug. 24, which would indeed be the first practice after the 49ers game. Walker continues to work out on a nearby field and then watches practice from the sideline.

“I’ve watched a couple of those workouts, and not just the conditioning part of it, but the change of direction, the ball-catching, and been very impressed,” Cable said.

– Among those who also did not practice and are day-to-day include G Marcus Johnson (calf), defensive tackle Terdell Sands (quad), center John Wade (stinger) and linebacker Mike Mitchell (hamstring).

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Oaklifer,

Don’t worry about it dude, especially with sales, there is always a better job out there. I got canned almost two months ago, unemployment stepped in, and now I start on the 31st, with what appears to be at the very least, a more stable and consistant job. Everything is everything.

• sjRaider18

so does anyone know of a good spot to watch the away games in san jose/ Milpitas???

• Brien the General

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:27 pm

brianne: no chicks consider you marriage material?

why am i not surprised?

is it tough being a transgender bisexual?
    ****************************

No that is SOFT shhit, that is why you tend to favor a punk like Huff who has gotten worse year by year.

Marriage material is for someone who is a docile fool who likes to get ran over by his women and kids. Not I good sir

• RaiderRobG

Boss: Did you get those TPS reports done?

Raider Fan:

No, I’m arguing with one of my Raider brethren. He called me a douche bag on the blog and I cannot let that aggression go unanswered!

• Al DAVIS HAS COJONES

We need Jay Richardson, Trevor Scott, and Matt Shaunnessy to step it up BIG TIME….

Or else its going to be a long @ss season with ZERO pass rush.

Everyone will inevitably compare DHB and Crabtrees careers in the end to determine which was a better choice….we should be looking at DHB and Brian Orakpo instead.

Orakpo woulda helped sooooo much more than any other player in the draft.

• Brien the General

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I’m not a fan of the Raiders. I didnt have a choice in the matter

***

you did’nt choose your own NFL team? who chose it for you? and why wont you tell us what team that is?

because you’re soft and you’re more of a coward than you say Huff is.
    ***************************

That was weak man really. The SOFT label is for you and Huff. You cant try to turn it around and throw it on me. Not gonna work. Its like my skin color, did I chose it or was I born with it? Thanks

• OAKlifer

Understood Dakota!

It was crazy man I knew about it but never read or studied up it was Brutal and sad…Very discriptive book if you ever was a Kermit fan you should read it….

yeah right like a hick or redneck would ever try

***

that why you’re so racist and judgemental, isn’t it?

that makes sense. get some counseling man. running your mouth on a blog is one thing. try some of the redneck, hick, etc etc slams anywhere in the real world to people who might take offense is another. coward

• DKnight007

CantstandtheHaters Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 2:13 am
    Dmac20 Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:51 am

typo- i’m not going to call you rackoshit…

———–

no you sure didnt. twice. very well done lol!

and as far as the game, its preseason…

everybody is tired from 2-a-days and nobody calls a complete play. everything is fractional, situational, especially when its a reg season opponent you play.

like that famous “3-man-rush” at the goalline…it was fractional… it was just the “zone” without “blitz”…

DT drops perfectly underneath the first (or second) look and forces a hesitation, but without the “blitz” he finds Whitten mismatched on Routt with too much time… (play still could have worked and at least forced Romo to leave the pocket and make a play on the run, if either Howard or the safety on top didnt screw up. because with the DT now responsibel for the middle, one of them shoudda have the flats i guess. they fugged up and ended up trippling the middle receiver giving Romo the clean look, throwing lane)

now imagine the S, OLB or the CB rushing in on Romo with the DT taking away his first option…thats a pick if the LB comes, sack or a quarterback on the run with the ball in his hands if the DBs come on that play… IF everybody else doesnt screw it up like THOw or the Safety.

but reagrdless, that was a nice play that will be effective come regular season. they ran it, its on tape, and can now be corrected.

and thats what TC, practicing is all about…to learn by making mistakes.

ZONE-blitz baby! its coming and i LOVE it!!!!

^^^^^^
    Definitely need to see more zone blitzing this year….consistent pressure on the QB is a must this year along with stopping the run.

brianne: listening to a virg1n give marriage advice is pretty funny.

i got some work to do. catch u later lowlife

• Al DAVIS HAS COJONES

Gallery over either Fitzgerald/Sean Taylor sucked ass too.

Huff over Ngata- deplorable.

Buchanan over Ed Reed terrible…..

the list goes on and on.

• OAKlifer

vegas raider Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:33 pm
    Oaklifer,

Don’t worry about it dude,
    *********************************

Thanks bro!!!

But the really sad new is I’m going to lose my professional blog title befor I was getting paid to chat with you guys now I’ll be at home chatting yelling at the kids and kicking the dog…(not really i love my dog) LOL…..damn As of this morning I was a creditable as any BSPN writer but now im just another blogger…….

• Brien the General

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:35 pm

yeah right like a hick or redneck would ever try

***

that why you’re so racist and judgemental, isn’t it?

***********************

We are all racist and judgemental to some extent. That is the culture in this country or have you been stuck in a small room all your life?

Running my mouth outside of the blog? LOL, I have buddy. Trust me the few years I lived down south I wasnt popular and still didnt give a damn just like I do now!!!

• AZ Raider

Brien the General Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:29 pm
    Reaching? You reaching are SOFT spot? Yeah it figures on a marshmallow of a man like yourself

I’m not a fan of the Raiders. I didnt have a choice in the matter unlike most of you guys in here who like the Raiders because its cool and it makes you latch on to an image of toughness. I was born a Raider. You guys dont get it. The Raiders are bigger than a damn game!
    ……………………………………………….

You dumbfukingoon! Weren’t we all born into the Nation?

• Brien the General

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:37 pm

brianne: listening to a virg1n give marriage advice is pretty funny.

i got some work to do. catch u later lowlife
    *************************

Virgin? LOL, that is when you know you have an idiot on your hands. He is getting slapped back and forth. You couldt get some from the fine cali women so you settle for your fat sister and escaped Cali so people wouldnt criticize you. Work to do? Oh feeding your pig of a sister/wife? I got ya. Good luck

• DKnight007

Desmond Bryant, Gunheim, Boschetti, and Shaunessey need to more playing time with the 1st teamers!

Lets see what they can do!

• Brien the General

DK, you maybe be on to something there. It would be interesting to see how they would fare but Cable wont do that

• Raider Dell

Vegas you were given a raw deal and I wish I knew what type of firm you were in before the hammer came down.

I would of warned you what was going to happen. NEVER do Discretionary accounts in the financial business.

They lead to fines, lawsuits and a record on your U-4 form.

You should stay in the financial business your in. You will be hired if you chose to, just be ready to explain what happened.

I’ve been in the financial area for 29 years, I know what I speak.

• Raiderwoj

An Oakland Raiders assistant coach was injured in an altercation with another member of the team’s coaching staff in training camp on Aug. 5, according to a Napa, Calif., police report.

Napa Police Lt. Brian McGovern said that in order to maintain victim confidentiality, he could not reveal the identity of the person injured. However, the National Football Post has learned that Randy Hanson, a defensive assistant, was injured.

Police responded to Queen of the Valley Hospital on Aug. 6 when Hanson arrived to receive treatment for an injured jaw.

“(The hospital) is required to report those things to the police department any time someone comes in the victim of an assault-type crime,” McGovern said. “We were dispatched to the hospital and ended up contacting the victim at that location. The victim said the assault had occurred the previous day at the Raiders’ training camp facility.

“Basically, he said he had been assaulted by a member of the staff but refused to identify who that person was. There isn’t anything we can do if the victim is uncooperative in providing us with any additional information as far as witnesses or suspect information.”

According to McGovern, the victim was in the process of receiving X-rays when he was interviewed. The results of those exams are not known. McGovern said misdemeanor assault charges could come if the victim comes forward with information that leads to an investigation. McGovern said a broken jaw could lead to felony charges.

• Raiderwoj

McGovern said that police have not followed up with the Raiders in search for more information.

Raiders senior executive John Herrera told the National Football Post on Sunday that head coach Tom Cable would address the situation with media following the team’s practice Sunday. Cable did not.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was not aware of the alleged incident.

“We’ll look into it,” Aiello said.

Hanson, who is in his third season with the organization, is listed on the team’s Web site as a defensive assistant, and he was an assistant defensive backs coach the past two seasons. Former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin suspended Hanson after the season opener last year for remarks Hanson made following the 41-14 loss to Denver. Hanson has previously worked in St. Louis and Minnesota.

• AZ Raider

OAKlifer Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:38 pm
    vegas raider Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 12:33 pm
    Oaklifer,

Don’t worry about it dude,
    *********************************

Thanks bro!!!

……………………………………………….

Hey Oak!

Never thought of that. You ARE MORE creditable! You can put me down as a Ref!

I can see it now:

Please list Reffences below

Name: AZ Raider

Occupation: Kool-aid Pimp

Years aquainted: Less than 1

Relationship: Fellow Nation Member

I bet I get a call, and I’d bet your more qualified than anyone on BSPN.

• raidertay

I thought the game was encouraging. The Offense looked way better then I expected, but on the flip side the defense looked way worse then I suspected.

Most of those big runs were at Trvor Scott who was being ABSOLUTELY ABUSED!! Swappin in Jay Richardson should help there. Unless its 3rd and 20, T. Scott should not be on the field.