By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 at 5:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.
– Second-and-10, Glen Coffee gains 18 yards up to the 34 on second-and-10, with Hiram Eugene on the stop.
Drive started at the 4 and now the 49ers are at the 34 as the quarter ends.
Nnamdi Asomugha is already out. Justin Miller at left corner, Chris Johnson right corner and Routt in slot in nickel.
– Backed up at the 4, the Raiders give the 49ers some breathing room with neutral zone violation on unnamed player.
– Raiders squander Ricky Brown’s 46-yard interception return by coming up empty. They go for it on fourth-and-goal from the 4 (why not?) and Russell overthrows Louis Murphy.
On third-and-goal, they go empty backfield with snap under center and he misses Murphy.
On second down, Justin Fargas _ whose touchdowns are few and far between _ gains a yard.
– Brown, in early at middle linebacker for starter Kirk Morrison, intercepts a deflected pass intended for Josh Morgan and runs it 46 yards to the 7-yard line. He’ll get heat for letting Smith bring him down.
– Raiders second series nets a first down, but a bad end. Russell trips and falls on third-and-6 and it doesn’t matter because veteran RT Cornell Green didn’t line up on the line of scrimmage. Penalty declined, Raiders punt.
– The Raiders went to a 3-4 defense on a third-and-7 with Kelly the left “tackle,” Smith hits Vernon Davis wide open for 15 yards and a first down. Raiders forced punt when Smith missed Davis on third-and-6.
– First series a three-and-out dud. McFadden carries twice for a yard, Russell has Heyward-Bey open on out route, either timing off or Russell’s accuracy off. Incomplete.