By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 at 3:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.
NO_P.J. Hill 11-yard run (Garrett Hartley kicks PAT), 4:40
– Quarterback Jeff Garcia completed a 30-yard pass to Louis Murphy to the Saints 20, but the Raiders hurt themselves with another penalty as Paul McQuistan’s hold pushed the ball back to the 26 on second-and-16.
The quarter ended with Garcia taking a big hit on a scramble to the 22, bringing up third-and-12.
– Garcia comes in with 4:40 left in the quarter. Dwindling fan base cheers, as if JaMarcus Russell was somehow for responsible for a Johnnie Lee Higgins drop and a Louis Murphy fumble.
– Oakland’s first-team defense continued to get shredded by New Orleans reserves, with Hill finishing off a 64-yard drive in 11 plays with Hill’s 11-yard run
The drive put the Saints at 404 yards of total offense with 4:40 left in the third quarter.
– Russell let down for the second consecutive series, hitting Murphy for a 56-yard gain, only to have the rookie fumble when he is stripped on the way down by Pierson Prioleau.
– Russell opened the second half for the Raiders, stuck a third-and-12 throw to Johnnie Lee Higgins which would have put the Raiders at the New Orleans 35, and Higgins dropped it, forcing a punt.