Roster trimming appears underway

The following players were not present as the Raiders ended stretching and special teams work to begin practice:

G Marcus Johnson, C Jonathan Compas, WR Shawn Bayes, WR Will Franklin and DT Joe Cohen.

It’s possible the Raiders gave themselves a day’s headstart to reach 75 players.

Among those who were not suited up were S Rashad Baker (stinger) and CB Nnamdi Asomugha (chip fracture). LB Slade Norris (calf) was not on the field, nor was wide receiver Chaz Schilens (broken foot).

Those who looked to have returned to practice are C John Wade (stinger), out for the first preseason game, and DE Matt Shaughnessy (foot sprain). LB Kirk Morrison is suited up, but his left elbow as heavily wrapped and it remains to be seen how much he’ll practice.

Practice closed to the media following stretching and warmups starting today. Will update later after briefing from Cable and player interviews, if available.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://raidermight.com RaiderMight

The Chiefs demote their OC a week before their final preseason game and they get fluff stories like

————
    “Better late than never on Gailey ouster”
    Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Really, the only surprise about Chan Gailey’s ouster as the offensive coordinator in Kansas City is that it took this long.

I was shocked Gailey was retained when Todd Haley took over as head coach for Herm Edwards at the end of last season. Haley is known as an aggressive coach whose offense in Arizona was explosive. Gailey is much more conservative and he was often criticized for the non-attacking style he used in Kansas City.
    ——–

If it was the Raiders, we would have been killed by the media for disfunction. All these other teams in the West do something and it’s “understandable”. Bs.

This AFC West is a joke right now.

• DKnight007

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    August 31st, 2009 at 12:40 pm
    We need a hitman out there. Branch needs to get mad enough to hit like he did in college!!! Mitchell needs to come back cracking pads as well. These guys don’t play mad enough for me on D!!!!

Ronnie Lott never would have taken this BS, he would have been doging these guys!!!!

^^^^^^^
    Agreed, the defense as a whole just does not play with enough consistent play to play intensity for me.

Maybe not enough of them are doing HGH or the juice….I don’t know?

They need to play more with a chip on their shoulders and with a mean streak.

• Thec07

You cannot party like they did in the 70′s. To me the 1976 Raiders were the best team ever in football. They stepped on the field you KNEW they were going to knock someone out, be tougher and meaner, flatout kicka$$ and at the end of each game wind up victorious.

Now the QB has to be damn near a brainiac, which is why it is the toughest position in sports.

• LA to TheBay

Ya, it’s on the net. Make sure u type in “justin.tv” and not “justintv.com”

Someone is streaming NFL network at all times usually. You should be able to catch any game, any time.

I’m really surprised it hasn’t caught on more.

Not as good as the Ticket, but its free.

• Thec07

The 1976 Raiders all were “hitmen”, and stand up guys.

The 2009 raiders 1 stand up guy greg ellis…

• DKnight007

Having the NFL Sunday Ticket makes DirecTV worth it all by itself!

• LA to TheBay

Thec

I understand your argument and don’t neccecarily disagree with it.

But if Rick Williams can blow a blunt during the season and still perform the way he did, more power to him.

I think rather than a suspension, the guy get recognition.

Forget that it treats nausea, minor aches and pains, headaches, upset stomach, etc.

If Ricky was puffin the cheeba and running like that, how could the stuff be banned (well,um other than that its illegal). In an age of performance enhancing drugs so commonplace, this guy was smokin stuff which is the exact opposite of performance enhancing and more like ‘taste and color and hunger enhancing’ and performing at a high level.

I guess my point is, yes, its best to be clean and discipline in today’s NFL.

But, what really counts is what you do ON the field, not OFF.

• tazZraider

408,

who you play in week 1 in FF?

• lefty12

playing QB today is much easier than it was in the 70s.those guys called their own game.some act as if this is rocket science.it isn’t-it’s football.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

What’s disheartnening to me, is that so many so-called fans, particulairly those who idolize Al Davis, really don’t care if the Raiders win or not. All they care about is Al Davis.

The Raiders are 24-72 over the last 6 years, 6 winning seasons in the last 20 years, still getting gouged on the ground. NFL players say this is the worst Organization in the game.

And certain posters insist all is well, that we’re just stupid fans, don’t know what we’re looking at, the coaches no better, blah, blah, blah.

Folks, problems have to be faced, addressed, and solved. Sweeping them under the rug, is a disservice to all of us who care about the Raiders. The Fans and, Players and the great legacy of teams past.
    ————————-

AZ Raider Says:
    August 25th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

It’s all about Superbowls. Winning records are fluff and mean nothing. Just ask the current Dallas Cowboys and Jerry jones if that statment doesn’t ring true.

HayesDaze37 Says:
    July 14th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

What does it hurt to lose the most games over 6-years?

Ummm…NOTHING, but merchandise and ticket sales.

Oh, and a lot of pride.

But, that’s all.

• Silver-n-Smac

LA to TheBay Says:
    August 31st, 2009 at 12:41 pm
    “Another comment I’m sure to be roasted for, but F it. If we had 53 Rick Browns and Justin Fargases, we’d be in a lot better shape.”
    ***************************************************

LA – Great post man.

I’ve been saying that about Justin Fargas for 3 years. I know it sounds corny as hell, but, that dude is “Rocky” and “Rudy” in real life.

But, contrary to popular opinion, I think he’s got plenty of talent. Even today, he’s in the top-15 in terms of speed when compared to other starting tailbacks. And his lack of touchdowns have everything to do with bad O-Line play in the red-zone, and nothing to do with lack of talent.

The guy basically gained 1000 yards in only a half-season, a couple of years ago. And everything he’s done in his career to date, has been done behind atrocious offensive-line play. He’s a freakin’ Kamikaze and I love that!!!

Fargas is all heart and he holds onto the ball a hell of a lot more securely than D-Mac & Bush. I’m thrilled that we have both those guys as well, but, as you said. . . .

Fill up my starting line-up with a bunch of Fargas’s and I’ll be in the playoffs every single year.

Go Raiders!

• LA to TheBay

Kell, I doubt there are as many Davis Worshipers as you think.

I’m Davis’ biggest advocate, but I’m realistic.

Any success we’ve had, its because of Davis, directly or indirectly.

Any failure (after ’63) we’ve had, its because of Davis, directly or indirectly.

I think your average Raider fan appreciates the history of the team, thankful for what Al did 30 years ago, and hates his guts and wants him to step down (or worse, which is bit disturbing).

For the most part, you’re preaching to the choir. It seems rather than talk about current Raider football, you’d have u simply blog all day about how sh*tty Al Davis is and how we need need a new GM.

As long as Al is cognisant (no jokes, please), he runs the show.

I’ll keep watching and I have a feeling so will you. MR said a while ago if you’re a true fan, you’d boycott all the games. Whereas I don’t agree with that in the least, it sounds like something you may want to look into.

• Thec07

Kell, Thats a very telling list. Its what the league really thinks about the Raiders….. Truth be told we
    are the laughing stocks of pro sports. This just confirms it, pretty sobering, funny at first but sickening a moment later. Damn the players have spoken.

• lefty12

what i find disheartening is people who claim to be fans have written the team off before 1 regular season game has been played.and the hypocrisy they show be calling the team quitters while they have already quit on the team.

• LA to TheBay

Silver-n-Smac

Ya, Fargas runs hard and takes a lot of unearned criticism.

Honestly, I’d prefer Bush as our every-down back because I think the guy is a beast, and versatile. Getting better in pass protection only makes him more appealing.

But let it be known that I have a great deal of respect for Fargas. He runs hard, with no regard for his body.

Farglass or whatever, the guys a player. I’d imagine if he ran like Cornell green blocked, he’d be a lot healthier throughout the season.

eventually, he should be phased out in favor of McBush, but if I’m the coach, I take a long look at Fargas, which is exactly what coaches have been doing.

If someone proves they can outplay him, go ahead. I think Bush did a lot to prove that in the Tampa game.

I respect Brien a great deal, but disagree with his notion that we can’t have 3 solid backs, that we need a scat back/change of pace guy as our 3rd option.

Well then keep Nick Miller on the roster.

we have the best of all worlds.

Fargas – straight ahead, one cut runner who has no regard for his own body. A Raider.
    DMC – quick, outside the tackles explosive back who can be lined up anywhere and catch
    Bush – a hybrid of the two and an everydown candidate.
    Nick Miller – our change of pace guy. A little WR built like rock who can (according to Jerry) apparently take snaps at RB.

• Thec07

lefty12 Says:
    August 31st, 2009 at 2:59 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have called this current team a bunch of quitters and will stand by that stament lefty12. Not sure i read
    anyone on this blog say they were not going to be a fan of the team. As for me would never quit being a Raider fan fyi.

So until the team starts playing like a real football team, i will continue to call them out on it all day and night Bro……

• beeecham

Oh good lord Krappy -

After posting your lame little link all night last night, you’re starting up again with it today? What, you don’t have enough to worry about with getting your old head out of the microwave?

First of all, you old goat, do you really think you’re going to organize a fan upheaval with a few bloggers clicking on a link? I know you have these delusional ideas that you’re a world traveler and an owner of real estate, but you definitely can’t take down Al Davis with an article from something called “Spots Business Daily”.

But more importantly, did you survive the game on Saturday without dropping an historically large dump in your trousers? I lectured your grandson Brian the Genital about what cautionary measures to take if this were to occur.

Hopefully that little dickens bought enough clothes pins for everyone’s noses in your section.

Fingers crossed.

• inonewordraider

I’m guessing playing Scott against run just so he improves knowing that Jay Rich and Ellis will start at Ends come regular season. Bryant will earn some time at End as well. Morrison will help. Mitchell needs to get healthy, improve, start sh@$ w/ other teams, and replace Eugene

• Terrapin

Coach Cable on DHB:

…Cable singled out Darrius Heyward-Bey for his ability to draw double teams quite often. Heyward-Bey caught only one pass Saturday, but he received double coverage on a deep throw down the right sideline and on a handful of other plays.

“Well, it’s already happening,” Cable said. “I said this would happen earlier. They’re already starting to lean towards him in coverage, so it’s going to help everyone else and, obviously, that’s why those other guys were getting the opportunities they were getting.”

*************************************

Now, let hope some of you bums get the picture.

• inonewordraider

Damn glad we got ellis on the team to call out our sorry ass performance. I love it that he said he came to Oakland to help get us a superbowl. Now if only the rest of our roster started having that attitude

• 860Todd Christensen

Thec, post 116, I’m In!

• Silver-n-Smac

LA to TheBay:

I like Michael Bush, but, I’m not completely sold on him as my starting back.

I’ve just never been a huge fan of really “Big” backs. I know there have been some good ones in the past (Jerome Bettis, Barry Word, etc.), but, I tend to think that these guys are basically fullbacks playing out of position.

They just don’t possess enough speed in my opinion. If they don’t get great blocking, they generally don’t have the quickness to make a darting move and break into the open field. And sometimes, you need that.

I’m being a bit hypocritical in saying that because I actually believe the 3 & 4 yard runs throughout a football game mean more than the occasional 60 yard burst.

I personally like to throw Bush into the mix in the 4th quarter to preserve a lead. I’m not convinced he’s an every-down guy for 16 games.

But, like I said, I could be totally wrong about that.

• Silver-n-Smac

And call me crazy, but, I’m predicting that Javon Walker will have a 1200 yard season this year.

• JT52

HELP!

Ordering stuff on Raider Image does anyone know any coupon codes for a discount. This is like 300 bucks!

• Silver-n-Smac

I really hope our scouts are lined up outside of the NY Giants’ complex, in their sleeping bags, in the event that the G-men release ANY of their defensive lineman.

That team is a factory for D-linemen. . . .the way we used to be in the 80′s (a.k.a. Long, Pickel, Townsend, Scott Davis, Alzado, Mike Wise, just to name a few)

• Thec07

Who, besides ellis has stepped up and said anything worth saying? What about our “leader” JRUSS WTF has he said? It is an embarrassment? Yeah i see an embarrassment you coming in overweight out of shape not ready to play 65 million dollar football…..

Hey JRUSS news flash this team is going to follow you. Problem is you are not ready or mature enough to handle it.

• Thec07

I need to get off this blog the more i read the madder i get. LTR

• Silver-n-Smac

Thec07,

Why does J-Russ have to say ANYTHING? Words are cheap man.

Just go out and play great on Sundays and that speaks loud and clear. And he’s started to do that. Joe Montana wasn’t out there yappin’ it up during the week. But tell me a guy who was more clutch and demanded more respected that that dude. Do you see Namdi yappin’ it up? No.

J-Russ just needs to keep getting better with time. And he’s doing that. I don’t give a rat’s ass how many fur coats he owns or what his Mohawk looks like.

Just play hard and produce on Sundays and that’s all I can ask for as a fan.

• RaiderNsuede

Defensive Leaders need to step up and be accountable and vocal about the D. QB start raggin on the D and thats how u split a locker room. Work in progress he is just 23.

• Silver-n-Smac

I think that teams that rely on guys “talkin” through the media are usually bad ones.

We don’t need guys “talking”.

We need guys who simply play on sundays when it counts.

And it starts to count on September 14th.

• Thec07

Silver-n-Smac Says:
    August 31st, 2009 at 3:37 pm
    Thec07,

Why does J-Russ have to say ANYTHING? Words are cheap man.

Just play hard and produce on Sundays and that’s all I can ask for as a fan.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok.

So its about actions right. So JRUSS coming into camp overweight, and out of shape?
    JRUSS should be in 65 million dollar shape, good example set by our “leader”.

• Thec07

Silver-n-Smac Says:
    August 31st, 2009 at 3:42 pm

We don’t need guys “talking”.

We need guys who simply play on sundays when it counts.

And it starts to count on September 14th.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of course its about playing on sunday when it counts.

OK dont talk thru the media check players on the sidelines anything, show a pulse. Lead the team.
    Example when we were getting toasted by SF in practice who brought th O togather and blasted them JRUSS?
    No it was JGARCIA….

I want JRUSS to succeed, and lead.
    So JRUSS Step the F@CK up Man up 65 mill up, and Lead this team.

• Thec07

Ok I am really out this time. we can continue ltr I gotta jump in traffic..

LTR NATION

• Silver-n-Smac

Thec07,

Ok.

JRUSS should be in 65 million dollar shape, good example set by our “leader”.
    **********************************************

Thec,

I agree with you that I wish he were a bit lighter, but, tell me how good a shape Kenny Stabler was EVER in???

Just play on sundays man! I don’t care if you’re fat or anorexic!!!

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

Taz. I dont know last time i checked i had a bye. I do know it aint thec cuz he chickened out at the last min. Lol jk thec

• Plunketthead = andrews mom

Dam I hope Dmac starts running like that

• Pingback: Roster trimming appears underway - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!