Huff unfazed by McAlister chatter

That’s the way it happens sometimes in the N(ot)F(or)L(ong) league.

One minute, you’re enjoying the warm glow of your finest game as a professional. The next, a story makes the rounds that your team may bring in someone who can put you on the bench.

If Michael Huff was bothered by talk that three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Chris McAlister could be on the Raiders’ radar, possibly as a safety, he hid it well.

Based on the way Huff has conducted himself since the day he arrived as the No. 7 overall draft pick in 2006, he can be taken at his word.

Huff paused for a moment, looked over at reporters crowded around Nnamdi Asomugha, and made his point.

“That’s the NFL, they bring somebody to take your job,” Huff said. “I’m sure in a couple of years they’ll bring somebody to get Nnamdi’s job, that’s the business about it. I don’t worry about who they bring in.”

One source close to McAllister said there was no deal imminent but conceded the Raiders are an option. Huff is coming off his best game as a Raider. He had an interception, a fumble recovery and what coach Tom Cable said was a flawless game in terms of coverage assignments and getting secondary personnel aligned correctly against varied formations.

“Things haven’t gone well since I’ve been here, so two turnovers and a couple of pass breakups, yeah, it was definitely one of my best games since I’ve been here,” Huff said.

Huff has three interceptions in 50 games, but even fewer complaints. He played out of position as a strong safety for two years, was benched midway through last season in favor of Hiram Eugene on a poor defense, and never once pointed a finger or snapped under the pressure of being a premium draft pick with pedestrian numbers.

When Asomugha once gave him a piggy bank during a team gag gift exchange because he was stealing Al Davis’ money, Huff laughed it off.

“I’m not going to blame anybody else,” Huff said. “I looked at the film, I wasn’t playing up to par or the level I want to play because I put more pressure on myself than anybody else can. I expect to play at a Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame level myself, so if I’m not playing up to par, I’m hard on myself.”

Huff said he has spent more time trying to get better than he has analyzing what has gone wrong. He concedes he may have tried too hard his first two years, and really isn’t sure why he struggled so badly last season but admits the evidence of his poor play is right there on film.

“I think I’m still growing as a player, and I feel like I’m still getting better and better each year and I strive to make each year my best year, so I think this will be the best year of my career,” Huff said.

More to news and notes from the open locker room session as well as the post-practice update from Cable to come later . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I’m not Oakglenn, Einstein. I’m his dad.

• CJ Legend 34

I predict that before the season is over Michael Bush will be a better complete back than both McFadden and Fargas.

I just really think he has a better burst and vision. When he sarts picking up more blocks he will really be doing something. I was glad to see both Bush and DMac on the field at the same time and rotating in. Fargas will be good in certain situations.

• neilb

Stockton,see 45.

• LA to TheBay

stockton raider Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 1:15 pm
    Do any of you think we need to stop Running Mcfadden up the dang middle so much. Why can’t we get a toss sweep or even a screen to him. It seems like we don’t use him right.

I kept thinking Cable had an ace up his sleeve, that he was going to start hitting the outside after SD played middle all night.

To Cable’s credit, he had an ace – that really nicely executed reverse, but yah, I was real dissapointed with how they used McFadden.

To be fair, they tried to pass it to him at the sideline, but he dropped it.

• Raider25

not new, been on here for a couple yrs now…just don’t get caught up in all the BS like I did last year. I use to piss Brein off last year by always addressing him as Brian….was fun then but not now so I sit back and just read Jerry’s stuff and none of this crap. No offense.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I’m not Oakglenn, Einstein. I’m his dad.
    =================================================

See once again, a few posts MR and you get all confused. It’s probably the way your dad reared you.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Kell, that’s pretty accurate. And, I can tell you, it sure is fun!

• DirtyBathWater

Yeah einstein I think your moronic than any of us with your statements you continue to post on this and previous threads, im sure that you are also norco bob, tell me what’s the point? You really make yourself out to be a real jackass buddy

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# stockton raider Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

================================================

Na. You have to be able to run both inside and out. The issue with Dmac is he CANNOT keep putting the ball on the ground. THAT, is killing us!!!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Brien’s mom named him after the character in the Breakfast Club.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Oakglenn

Did you notice how Seymour uses his hand/arms to stand-up o-lineman and control them and toss them aside?
    He doesn’t let them get into his body. I haven’t noticed that with our other D-Lineman.

I’ll go back and watch again.

• DMAC

Who the hell is going to be returning our punts? How about Branch?

• Norco Bob

Kell we all have known for years you are a troll, so why not get yoself some help bro?…stay away kell you troll.

• Einstein

# DirtyBathWater Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

=——————————–

All this coming from a guy who choses his online blog name as “DirtyBathWater” LMFAO. You are a tool…

• DirtyBathWater

Lol

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Seymour’s awesome. He’ll have plenty of great games that will be ruined by Al’s prevent defense.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

KoolKell Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Oakglenn

========================================================

I did notice that. The most impressive thing to me about Richard is how he raises the level of his game at the most needed time. Magic Johnson called that “winnning time” when the game was yet to be decided and someone HAS to get it done. Richard is other worldly good at doing that!!!

• raiderviagra

Einstein Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 12:40 pm
    JaMarcus is a fat loser and he has body odor.

it took einstein to figure that out?

• dave r

hey guys heres a thought lets talk football the update was about huff finally some signs of life if he could turn it around and live up to his number 7 pick this defense is going to be very good so far he a bust

• Glutten for Punishment

eintsein has a widdle peepee and a rash on his widdle crowdum sac

• Einstein

# Glutten for Punishment Says:
    September 17th, 2009 at 1:46 pm

eintsein has a widdle peepee and a rash on his widdle crowdum sac

——————————

The rash is from tappin your woman for the past 17 hours!! AHHHHHHH

• DMAC

Let’s move Huff to the nickel back position. He’s alaways had decent coverage. Just can’t tackle for s***.

• nader64

All of a sudden I like Huff…a little. The good game + comments indicating he gives a hoot (‘hoot’ – see what you have reduced me to moderator!?!?)…about his performance. I had him tagged as apathetic.

• RaiderRetribution

We need to pressure the KC punter and go for blocked punts, something we should have been doing for years anyway; applying pressure is a Raider trademark.

• RaiderRetribution

two seasons ago and last year he played well against the top TEs, Gates & Tony G. and Mr. Huff shut them down.

After watching the game against SD I believe he has stepped up his game, remember it took Mr. Asomugha a few years to become the best cornerback in the NFL.

• wcraider

Huff has nothing to worry about. John Bowie should have plenty to worry about. I knew every time Huff was in the game. He stood out on pass defense. He was always around the ball. Still not worth a #7 overall but he is showing that he is worthy of a roster spot.

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Huff unfazed by McAlister chatter - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• RaiderSam

I’d welcome McAllister if he has any game left. Would bring significant attitude along with Mitchell (did he even play?). Hoping he can ball and find a new niche the way Woodson, did.