By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 at 11:40 am in Oakland Raiders.
Notes from my living room (working from home today):
– Raiders look nothing like spirited team which played Chargers Monday, but result is the same. They’re tied at halftime.
– Horrendous first-half by JaMarcus Russell that could have been much worse if Brandon Flowers had held interception for a potential Chiefs touchdown. He’s 3-for-12 and 15-for-42 in two games, and his detractors are looking on point.
– Chiefs in two-minute drill and Gerard Warren gets a 15-yard facemask penalty. Later, Chris Johnson gets an illegal contact foul for a first down as Chiefs get to the 9 with 14 seconds left.
Raiders fortunate Chiefs butcher final possession, allowing clock to run out.
– Russell misses wide-open Louis Murphy, throws it behind him. Nearly has telegraphed pass picked by Flowers for touchdown. Flowers drops it.
– Raiders defense forces punt following field goal by Sebastian Janikowski _ nice pressure from Matt Shaughnessy forces Cassel incompletion.
– Raiders surrender on third-and-15 (following Murphy penalty for illegal motion) and run a draw to set up 48-yard Seabass field goal.
It’s 12 plays, 58 yards and at least some signs of life. Two poor Russell throws into red zone. First misses Murphy on post, second leads Darrius Heyward-Bey out of bounds inside the 5.
– Darren McFadden brought down on outside _ could have been big play _ following third-and-10 pass from Russell. He’s got to break that tackle. Illegal motion negates play anyway.
– Raiders get a break _ Chiefs pick up PI flag, but find illegal contact on other side of the field on Brandon Carr for first down.
– Darrius Heyward-Bey breaks through for first reception, 19-yard pass from Russell.
– With 9:55 left in the half, Russell completes his first pass for an 8-yard gain (Louis Murphy) and a first down.