35.2 percent? Russell is at .500

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

So this is what it has come to.

The great defender of JaMarcus Russell is none other than Tim (That’s not true!) Kawakami.

A completion percentage of 35.2 percent (19-for-54) would be reason to express at least concern for an high school quarterback, alarm for a NCAA Division I quarterback and outright panic for an NFL quarterback.

Yet here comes Tim, Mr. Stir-it-up himself, stressing patience with Russell. Could be one of those mind-trick things, although it’s more rooted in common sense.

The most telling comment from Russell during his weekly meeting with the local media Wednesday came when he was asked bout the progress of other young quarterbacks such as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, and why he didn’t measure up.

“I wish those guys the very best in their careers,” Russell said. “But that’s really things I can’t control. That’s out of my league and I play for the Raiders, not for those other teams. Like I said, I wish those guys the best. I’m their fan, a fan of football. Other than that, I really don’t pay much attention to it.”

The key words being, I play for the Raiders, not for those other teams.

Reminded me of the movie “Vacation,” where Clark Griswold’s son Rusty says, “Why can’t we be like other families?” Clark, played by Chevy Chase, says, “Because we’re not like other families. We’re the Griswolds.”’

While his general tenor Wednesday appeared to deflect a lot of the blame elsewhere, the real truth is a lot of the blame should be deflected elsewhere until he proves one way or another he can be a quarterback who can lead his team to a championship. As a No. 1 overall pick, anything less is a disappointment, although lifetime security is a hell of a consolation prize.

Has Russell had anything approximating the environment a young quarterback needs to succeed? Not even close. In fact, you could make a case that if you wanted to sabatoge a No. 1 pick, the way to do do it would entail a contract impasse, two head coaches, having three play-callers in two years and giving him dicey protection and an support cast of young receivers.

Check, check, check and check.

Russell has played pretty well against the Broncos in the past, as was duly noted by first-year Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

He’s pulled out of a tailspin once before and doesn’t seem overly concerned about the one he’s in now.

Am I surprised by the way he’s reverted to the scatter-armed quarterback I saw through much of the offseason? Sure, but no more so than Tom Cable, who conceded Monday he was surprised as well.

But with the season only two games old, it’s best to look at his won-loss record. Russell has one win, one loss.

That’s how they keep score, isn’t it?

• alisgod

man, is it me or Mr. is now a big time follower? It is so much nicer with you being more positive on here.

Kirk: it isn’t the playcalling bro

players gotta execute.

I think Russell will be better this week. not sure by how much though. just know it can’t be worse than what we’ve seen

I don’t expect to see a “coming out party” of 300 yards or 3 TD’s.

Maybe a turnover free game completing 60 percent of his passes and a TD or 2?

that should be good enough to beat dungver …

• Jombus1

Mr. McDonald wrote….”In fact, you could make a case that if you wanted to sabatoge a No. 1 pick, the way to do do it would entail a contract impasse, two head coaches, having three play-callers in two years and giving him dicey protection and an support cast of young receivers.” Only you J-mac, could so eloquently in one sentence hit it right on the nail! I am just hoping JaMarcus proves me wrong. The only concern I have is the condensed playbook in the passing game. If we are using a condensed playbook for the passing game, why the hell are we throwing the ball 25-30 times a game? I feel we need to RUN, RUN, RUN, and then play action pass in a two tightend set to give Jamarcus more confidence in his passing.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Richochet, glad you made a prediction.

I say Raiders win 24-14. I will be here no matter what happens. Will you? Doubt it.

in 2 divisional games:

Howard – 17 tackles
    Morrison – 15 tackles
    Brown – 13 tackles

amazing how they’re able to get to a ballcarrier when our D-Line is solid.

I don’t hear anybody calling for us to cut Morrison & Brown in favor of Frantz Joseph and Jasper Brinkley anymore!

• Mistabrown

lmao

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    September 24th, 2009 at 8:31 am

Erik Pears is 6′ 8″…how many balls will Janormous throw into his helmet?

• 4evaRaider

The 2 games we have played so far have been all out AFC WEST head-banging wars.Meanwhile donkleys have played the Browns&Bengals.What dont kill-ya makes you stronger,so we must be very strong indeed and like I said donkeys have played Browns&Bengals.IMO donkeys have no idea how HARD we are gonna punch em in the mouth all day long.I dont think they can take it

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

We’re a running team. Smash mouth. Our team does not rest on Russell’s shoulders. It’s hard for smash mouth teams to win it all and I don’t think we’ll win a SB again with Davis in charge, anyway. But I think we can be a competitive team, and I think we have one now. This blame Russell for everything campaign is just stupid, and a lot of it is racist. Al Davis will always be the reason that we’re not on the top tier of the league. Russell does not build this team. And it will never be good enough to win a Super Bowl. And, if Cable comes close to getting it there, something he’d have to bang heads with Al constantly to do, Al would just run him out. That’s the way it is. But Cable is a real coach and we’re a good team now, and as long as we run the ball and avoid that stupid prevent defense, Russell’s fine. And, he’s only going to get better.

• Mistabrown

Too bad Cable cant get 8/9 out of the box so we can be a legitimate running team. Instead he has to let JaMeatball throw 25 times a game and pray.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

AlisFraud, let’s get one thing straight: I’m a Cable follower. I’m sold on this guy, period. Like him. I’ve got a Gruden, Kiffie like man crush on him. All I ask for is that our coach have the huevos to run the football, and he’s doing it.

• Raider Dell

Madden Raider

Hope all is well.

My initial shock was real and pleasant to read your comments over the last week.

I started to think is this the Real Madden or a set up. Has Madden Raider gone over the edge. I began to think maybe you fell and hit your head, or a tragic event in your life, a friend or family member changed the way you looked at all things about your life.

I hope your OK.

So let me get this straight, I’ve been on this blog off and on for 3 years. The comments you have continually said were the following;

1)Your hatred for Davis is without question very well documented.

2)You commented many times that Cable was a puppet and he could never be like Gruden, or Kiffin.

3) You commented that this team as off late as September of this year, was a 3 -4 win team.

4)You commented that we would run the ball fewer than 15 times a game, due to Cable being a puppet. (AL’s offense.)

5)You said on many occasions that, if the Raiders lost their opening game, the Raiders would never reach the playoffs and have another losing season. This was based on a record of futility of opening losses during the last 6 seasons.

I have and many others who have tried to comment and ask you generally decent questions have been rebuffed by your slight of hand and been called many undistinguished names, like moron, fag, idiot, stupid, kool-aid drinkers, shills and many others.

So my long diatribe comment boils down to this, are you crazy or are you serious, about your most recent comments.

I can only ask for a reply back. As usual if you do not chose to, thanks for reading my long winded comment.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Cable also criticized Al’s prevent defense, in a subtle way, albeit, but he did. And, notice the D was scrapped the following week. And notice we won. Cable is for real. In Cable I Trust.

Instead he has to let JaMeatball throw 25 times a game and pray.

***

27 times a game.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

RaiderDell, dont’ care what you think of me, bud. I don’t have to prove anything to you. I’ve been a Raider fan since Nikes only came in blue and gold.

• Mistabrown

lmao @ being a Cable follower & buying a JaMeatloaf Russell jersey!

MR, you have become priceless! Now you are one of the koolaid drinking nut jobs you been criticizing for the last 2 years.

You cant even make this stuff up!

• Mistabrown

And pray..

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 24th, 2009 at 11:20 am

Instead he has to let JaMeatball throw 25 times a game and pray.

***

27 times a game.

• 4evaRaider

4evaRaider Says:
    September 24th, 2009 at 11:11 am

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

MB, I am indeed a Cable kool aid drinker. Got to believe in something. I believe in Tom Cable. Think he’s Gruden and Kiffin with a dose of Madden. And even a tinge of Flores. I even see a little Obama in him.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

MB, Cable proved me wrong. For the past 6 years, no coach has proved me wrong. And, I supported Kiffin. Turner, Shell, Callahan, from ’03 I said those guys wouldn’t get anything done and I was right. I thought Cable was a puppet. He’s not. He’s far from it. I call it as I see it. Always have. Now that the Raiders are better, I’m calling it. And since I’m a fan, it’s made being a fan funner. I can see this team improving now. I’m even shelling out a little hard earned cash on it. 200 for the Russell jersey I’m about to pick up at the mall in a few.

• Raider Dell

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    September 24th, 2009 at 11:20 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Madden Raider

Thanks for the reply, I think.

I never questioned if your a Raider fan, just your constant negativity as one.

I’ll let this be a lesson, even the most negatitive comments from you can be turned into something positive, until Al is blamed again.

• Mistabrown

MR,
    Cable is his own guy so much that J Walker has been ready to play since the opener and Cable wont play him. So JaMeatloaf is out there with 2 rookies and JLH, or Watkins just because AL wants the young guys in there with a willing and able VET on the bench!

Way to handicap your Qb who cant even execute a screen pass! Way to go Cable!

• Mistabrown

If given the chance I bet Cable would break 0bama in half like he did that asst.

lmao @ seeing Barback in Cable!!!

:D

MR, Cable isn’t anything like Barack.

Tom Cable has goals, a backbone and common sense.

BBB: Fargas will be inactive every week unless McFadden or Bush get hurt. We need Louis Rankin for kickoff returns until Nick Miller is 100 percent healthy. Since Fargas has zero value on special teams, he’ll continue to ride the pine imo

• 4evaRaider

LOL

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/skew-t/166654980/ BART Bridge Blues

Anybody know if Fargas is playing this week?

If they can start putting the ball in Fargas’ hands during the 2nd and 3rd quarters, I think the Raiders can win the game. They need Fargas back in that running corps to set the tone. Clearly Cable does not trust Bush/McFadden enough to let them carry the load, like Fargas did last year.

• Mistabrown

MR,
    How does a 6’6 Qb hit Glen Dorsey in the gut on a screen pass to DMAC? Cable is running the ball even with 8/9 in the box because Russell is a MEATHEAD head not because hes giving AL the middle finger, wakeup man!

• 4evaRaider

I voted 4him Rockstar but that was still hilarious!!!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

RockStar, you can think what you want. I know you’re still mad because Obama won. But it’s true. Cable has Obama qualities. He’s bringing change to Oakland, just as Obama’s bringing change to America. And, both are being undermined and sabotaged. Both, however, are persevering and will prevail.

• alisgod

so funny to see Mr. Pinata riding the Cable wagon now….lmao

• Mistabrown

BART, who really cares? We hope not. Most of us anyway..

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

Mistabrown Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Walker didnt play in the pre-season you brain dead buffoon.

Mistabrown Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 8:44 pm

No AlisNotGod,

Im aware Walker played about 3 plays against NO.
    ———————————————–

This guy can’t remember what he said 15 minutes before.

• alisgod

fyi Mr. Pinata,

Cable aint nothing like Gruden or Kitten. Cable doesnt have a giantic ego like those 2 morons. Cable is much closer to Flores than any of those 2 yoyo’s who basically used the raiders to get somewhere else.

You should man up and publicly admit you were wrong about the Raiders the past year. BTW, Raider Dell is dead on about you.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

MB, Al would prefer to throw the ball anyway, no matter how bad Russell’s arm is. Running the ball consistently is always a middle finger to the old man. Personally, I think Cable is running the ball because our receivers are mostly unreliable. Russell was hitting Miller on some nice routes against SD. KC shut that down. Our receiving corp isn’t great, but as Murphy steps up and Shillinse gets back on the field, you’re going to see Russell throwing the ball more. You guys that are trying to blame Russell for the SD loss or for not beating KC 55-0 just have it all ass backward.

Tom Cable is being undermined and sabotaged?

by who? Al Davis?

how will he prevail from that? get fired and revert back to OL coach?

please explain this MR

• Mistabrown

Enjoy that JaMeatloaf jersey MR…and remember your #2

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

AlisFraud, that’s your opinion, man. I see Gruden and Kiffin in Cable.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

RaiderRockStar, did Cable get into a physical altercation with another coach or not? Are you still of the belief that the incident never happened? If you’re a fan of this team who doesn’t have your head buried completely in the sand, you know that every coach here is being sabotaged. Either by someone above them, or below them.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

MB, wow. Obama’s approval rating is down. Big deal. There’s not even an election this year. Let me know when Republicans take control of Washington again. They won’t, until Bush is so far out of America’s collective memory that people wont’ be able to recognize him. I’d say that day will be here in, I dunno, 20 years?

• raiderkoolaid

The Real MaddenRaider I don’t want to fight with you, and I agree Obama is bringing change. The question is,”What is that change?” Any new leader is going to bring change, but change can be for good or for bad. If that change is selling out peoples jobs and livelyhoods for the sake of environmental problems that don’t really exist, then it is change that will only damage our society in the long run.

• alisgod

exactly how is Cable similar to Gruden or Kitten?

Kitten lies at the weekly press conference…Cable tells it like it is.

Kitten thinks he knows everything and fights with Al….Cable learns to work with Al.

Kitten getting his a$$ kicked every where he has been. Cable yet to be determined.

You’re right they are very similar.

MR, Al Davis certainly has his favorites. Most of them are guys who listen to what he has to say and respect him. Others are former players who have decided to stick around and be loyal to Davis and the team.

Napa Police are investigating the matter. nothing has been revealed to date. Cable involvement is just a rumor at this point. Cable said “everything will be fine” “no punches were thrown” “nothing happened” and “the facts haven’t all came out yet”

Cable will not survive despite Al Davis. it’s a partnership that is glued together with trust. If Cable gave Davis the middle finger he’d be out on the street tomorrow. believe that. let’s not forget who built this team. did Davis resign Fargas and draft both McFadden & Bush to be decoys in a pass happy offense? He wants to run the ball and throw it over the top. thats no secret. he drafted Russell, Miller, Heyward-Bey and brought in Walker to have an effective passing game. Walker flunked and Chaz Schilens was a nice surprise. Murphy is also stepping up in Chaz’s absence.

We have all the pieces in place to be a BALANCED offense. Until the passing attack can hold up thier end of the bargain, yes… I agree with you. run the ball. stick with what works

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

If Tom Brady were drafted by the Raiders, do you think he’d be the Tom Brady he is today? I don’t.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

AlisFraud, the similarities I see between Gruden, Kiffin, and Cable are the desire to change things here, and to be smart enough to do it under the supervision of a meddlesome owner that’s just about impossible for anyone without a super strong head to work for. Kiffin went a little too far. Too young, too stupid. But I liked his ideas. Cable is basically an older Kiffin. He’s got every intention of controlling the locker room and the sideline, and being THE MAN in Oakland, while at the same time he knows what not to do with Al. He knows how to work him.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Raiderkoolaid, you said you don’t want to fight with me. So therefore, I don’t have a response to any of your political points. We’ll let it go. Cable reminds me of Obama in ways. It’s my opinion. I’ll leave it at that.

• alisgod

the only thing Kitten is ever good for is convince his followers that he is on the right track when he has never proven he can win…

1. Some stupid Raiders fans like you and feminine knapkin still think Kitten was taking us back on the right track when he had a lousy record here.

2. Some stupid volunteers fans are ready to erect a statue for him when he has a 1-2 record.

the local sports analyst here in Tenn asked why the Vols are celebrating when Kitten never intended to try and win that game against the Gators. They want to know why with 10 mins left and down 3 scores you decide to run and run and run.

• alisgod

Pinata,

the point is Kitten dont know how to work with people. Even his own brother admits kitten has that problem. Even his highschool coach admitted Kitten acts like he knows more than the coach.

Sorry but please dont slander Cable by saying he is the same as Kitten. I have been a cable supporter since the first tiem I listened to his weekly presser last year. You’re a fraud bro. Admit it.

• raiderkoolaid

I respect your answer The Real Madden Raider. God put Obama in charge of this country, so I pray for the best of success for him in leading this country to prosparity.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

AlisFraud, you’ve made your case about Kiffin, and I’m not buying. If you’re still rambling on about him to convince other readers, suit yourself. But from my standpoint, you’re like a parrot that wont’ shut up. I see similarities between Cable and Kiffin. And, your arguments have not changed my point of view. Move along to another crusade, bud.

• Plunketthead

You better order your Cable jersey now before they run out. I ordered a white double 0 right after the discharge via ambulance game. I just got off the phone with them after ordering a black double 0 Cable jersey for home games and she told me they were selling like veggie tacos at a deadhead concert. They will run out in a few days and China will not be able to send another order for 8 weeks.