JLH back, Pears could be LG

Judging from the small portion practice open to the media Wednesday, it appears Johnnie Lee Higgins could be back returning punts for the Raiders, while Erik Pears is the potential solution to the loss of left guard Robert Gallery.

Higgins, who did not field punts at all last week in practice, was in his familiar spot. Pears worked with the first offensive line until as they went through drills and then lined up for the first time during the first team session.

Pears had 16 starts at right tackle for the Denver Broncos in 2007 and 10 starts at right tackle in 2006 before spending last season on injured reserve. He has never played guard in a regular-season NFL game, although coach Tom Cable said previously Pears versatile enough to make the switch.

It’s conceivable other players, such as Khalif Barnes and Paul McQuistan, could also get first team snaps during the practice session.

Cable will address the media after practice.

There was no sign of Gallery (broken left fibula), wide receiver Chaz Schilens (broken metacarpal) or safety Hiram Eugene (calf strain) at practice. Eugene was seen in the locker room wearing a protective boot, meaning Michael Huff could earn his first start of the season at free safety.

More to come later . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

JerryMac, you’re posting too fast!

• ELWAYs TEETH

Well, isn’t that exciting

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Bo,

Actually I totally agree with your Timmy assessment…and to think he actually had the nerve to ask for a job in Oakland after all of that lol.

• ELWAYs TEETH

This is cool, The story is here, then it disappears, and then it is here again.

• JB

Barnes at LG temporarily, anybody at ORT for Green. He is almost as bad as JR was last week. I can’t believe we can’t find someone somewhere better than Green.

• ELWAYs TEETH

I’m also posting in the future. I post at 1:10 and it says I post at 1:19

• CJ Legend 34

Yeah LA To The Bay!

I am sure you did not like Charles Woodson.

Woodson cracked a Buckeye more than Desmond Howard another Raider cracked a Buckeye.

• ELWAYs TEETH

Anyone can jump offsides, but only Green can do it consisitently.

• 4evaRaider

Come on back JLH…man do we ever need you on p/r and your awesome slantzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Repost

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:20 pm
    Re: Timmy

It is not a ND issue with me at all. It was Timmy’s classless decision to sign with the Broncos and then his classless decision to end his career in TB when he clearly had nothing left.

And I never much respected his constant ducking and running OB either, but that I can forgive.

Al did the right thing by ignoring his retirement bash, forcing Timmy to hold it at the Hyatt. He could have retired in Oakland as a proud Raider and all would have been copacetic. I do not believe Timmy has any loyalty to the team at all.

• raiderbub81

JLH back would be huge as lost in the shuffle of the horrible game played is the muff of the punt by Javon Walker…my heart almost fell out. Even if he just fair catches it, it is an improvement. Oh yeah, nice hi-top fade JLH…what is this the 80′s again?

• JB

# ELWAYs TEETH Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I’m also posting in the future. I post at 1:10 and it says I post at 1:19
    ************************
    Yes, that does make it hard to follow a thought line. Maybe the blog is mentally challenged with dual personalties.

• JB

There must be a half way decent, talent-wise, RT out there on some other teams practice squad. It’s my understanding that we can claim any other teams practice squad personnel as long as we put them on our 53 man squad. PLEASE find our new ORT. I know he’s out there somewhere.

Pears, if capable, just might be the Carlisle replacement that is also in need.

• LA to TheBay

Seems Cable’s pretty pleased with Morris at C. Willing to put guys out of position to accomidate.

I think with what we payed Nnamdi, he should be starting QB.

Go Pears! This is your chance at redemption and mo money!

If Pears plays well, he could be our solution to the fossil Carlisle at RG.

• r8dr4lfe21

Our team doesnt need any more badmouthing from us, we get enough from the rest of the league. Here are some post from Bronco fans. Now get mad and cheer our team Raider Fans rise up and make some noise. I dont know about you guys but this pisses me off.

MICHAEL MILLER: I’ll put money on the Bronco defense coming up big again. I don’t like to make predictions, but if I were going to predict this one, I’d say 17 -13 Broncos, Maybe 20-16 Broncos. That said I hope it turns out 34-6 Broncos.

SAYRE: I think you are right Michael. I don’t think they are sniffing 150 unless they break a couple of big runs. I don’t make score predictions anymore either, but I’ll hope for 41-14, just like we got in “The sphincter” last year.

SAYRE: Brian Dawkins is fully capable of covering Zach Miller one on one. It will be interesting to see how the Raiders defend our skill players. We have a ton of them, and it will be interesting to see how they defend Correll Buckhalter who is second among starting RB’s in yards per carry.

MICHAEL2 KELLER: Jamarcus will have about a 45% Comp ratio, 1 INT, 3 sacks and 135 YDS passing. He will go into the locker room and wolf down a $20 rack of ribs and come out in the 3rd QTR with BBQ stains all over his uni. Not a pretty sight for the Black Hole Sunday. Sorry Guys

ED LEVY: I see someone graciously loaned the prisoners at Folsom laptops and gave them the URL to bleacherreport.com. Look Faider fans…your team has been the worst team for five friggin years and will continue to be the bottom of the barrel as long as Davis owns this team. Just give it up and go back to reading the Koran from your jail cell.

MICHAEL2 KELLER: As they say, if it wasn’t for weekend release programs in the East Bay, there would never be a sell-out @ Oakland Stadium. Al sends caravans of buses to the prisons and jails to round up his posse so they won’t have to black out the games on TV.

ED LEVY: Don’t forget about those on probation and parole. They’re making more than those on the work-release program, so they can afford the $10 black hole seats. The rest will be the Bronco fans laughing at the transvestite-esque guys wearing black makeup. Oh yea, they will also be laughing at the score—Broncos 31, Jokeland 3.

• CJ Legend 34

You guys are talking a bunch of bull about Tim Brown.

Tim Brown kept a cool head for years while the Raiders were self distructing. You could always count on Tim Brown to make a big play and the WRs we have right now could not flush the toilet for Tim Brown.

The Raiders did not want to keep the guy around and he did not want to retire same as all the greats (Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig,the list goes on and on)! Oakland has been in the business for years of taking other teams veteran players and I don’t recall alot of Raiders fans complaining. I for one was not. So stop all that Tim Brown is/was not loyal the Raiders BS. They could have done soemthing for the guy he sold them a lot of #81 jerseys, hot dogs and seats.

• r8dr4lfe21

Do you guys need more motivation.

SAYRE: Oakland is not a good passing team, and quite honestly, they are just not a good offensive team, ranking 24th in scoring and 29th in total offense. Denver’s number one defense was tested by Carson Palmer, dominated Brady Quinn, and they should have no troubles keeping JaMarcus Russell in a bottle

SAYRE: I can understand if the facts were in your favor why you would say that, but the fact of the matter is, JR is going up against a very, VERY good secondary with the worst completion percentage in the NFL. I don’t care what he did in the second game against Denver last season; we don’t have any of those players anymore.

Your secondary is good, but our wide receivers and tight ends are better than your secondary.

SAYRE: Why won’t we enjoy the game? So bad for the Raiders that they take it off TV before the third quarter starts?

SAYRE: So if Nnamdi is “masterlock” on Marshall, who is going to cover Royal, Scheffler, Stokley, Gaffney, Moreno, Buckhalter, and Hillis? Who is going to beat Ryan Clady or Ryan Harris off the edge? You might know they didn’t allow a sack last season nor have they yet this season.

RALOE: Here’s a lil joke for you- How do Raider fans teach their kids how to count…0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4….lolol!

Kills me every time I tell it! BRONCOS.

RANDY GARCIA: I don’t think (raiders) that they will put it together for this game. The Broncos should be able to exploit the middle of the Raiders defense while Nmadi and Brandon battle each other one on one. I’m also not sure that the raiders will be able to get pressure on Orton. Orton will have the ball out of his hand too quick for the rush to get to him

• 4evaRaider

fossil =)

• Pingback: JLH back, Pears could be LG - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Einstein

Repost from last thread:
    # Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Re: Timmy

———————————————————

Jeez man, you are a bitter little beech about Timmy. WTF, did he not sign an autograph for you or something? So who the fauk was your favorite player during the down years? Harvey Williams, Evlis “Toast” Patterson, or how bout Najee Mustafa? I’m guessing it was Darryl Hobbs.

Anybody think Mike Mitchell starts at FS with Hiram Eugene out?

Cable likes what Huff is doing and where he’s at. Doesn’t want Huff in on running plays. Great in coverage however.

Sledgehammer Mitchell in on running plays?

your thoughts nation? M&M seems to be healthy and ready to knock somebody’s lights out.

why not 1st Round pick Moreno or LaFat Jordan?

• Tatumluvr

I will be flying out to Oakland this Friday..I can’t wait for this Sunday matchup!!

• Tatumluvr

WTF I’m not posting quickly

JB, the reason we are stuck with Cornhole Green is because of our zone system. There just aren’t many athletic tackles out there with an understanding of the ZBS.

BTW I wanted Monroe or Loadholt in the draft…

• 4evaRaider

center is Morris’ regular position…Played it in collage and thats how we drafted him

• Tatumluvr

Richochet Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:39 pm
    You get so confused when you’re babbling.

Here. Let me help. IT’S CALLED BEING INCONSISTENT.

What a sorry whine, dude.
    LA: “Oh, he made that completion. He was FEELING CONFIDENT, THAT’S WHY HE MADE IT”
    LA: “Oh, he missed the next one badly. For some unknown reason, right then he went through a mental checklist, and decided his confidence was shot, hence the other throw.
    LA: ” Next ball was completed. He’s confident again”

THAT’S THE STUPID ANALOGY YOU WANT TO RUN?
    Honestly, you don’t see how ignorant that take of your is?
    He’s INCONSISTENT. See, you fool, if a qb’s confidence is SHOT, IT’S SHOT FOR THE GAME..doesn’t go in and out..you’re just making excuse.

OH..THAT’ RIGHT..aren’t you that sorry fool who posted ‘once JR flips on the light switch, everyone better watch out” lol…wasn’t that you?

Weak whine..a sorry weak whine.
    INCONSISTENT QB’S ARE ON EVERY ROSTER..they’re called “backups” or “soon to be released”

*****************************
    Dude all you do everyday is rant and babble and I STILL don’t know who your team is

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Those players had some game left when they moved on to other teams. Timmy was WAY done. But when he was in his prime, he wanted OUT. And to the broncos of all teams! Good riddance.

• Richochet

You get so confused when you’re babbling.

Here. Let me help. IT’S CALLED BEING INCONSISTENT.

What a sorry whine, dude.
    LA: ” Next ball was completed. He’s confident again”

THAT’S THE STUPID ANALOGY YOU WANT TO RUN?
    Honestly, you don’t see how ignorant that take of your is?

Weak whine..a sorry weak whine.

———————-
    LA to TheBay Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 10:19 am
    I think it’s less that JaMarcus isn’t bright and more like he’s thinking too much. You could call the latter the result of the former if you like, fine.

But when he’s scared of a turnover or a tough throw, the ball sails to where no one can get it.

When he’s confident, the ball comes out quick and can be fit into tight windows.

Look at the play on the final drive that was whisteld dead. JaMarcus throws it anyway and the DB makes a play on the ball as if it weren’t blown dead (IE defending, and rather well), and DHB makes a nice grab.

It barely beat the defender, but it was placed where his WR can make a play and get YAC.

Point is, when he just lets it rip and he’s got a WR he can trust, it’s far more accurate.

• Tatumluvr

I maybe owing M Huff an apology if he steps to the plate Sunday

• JB

r8dr4lfe21 Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:27 pm

********************

I found this one as the most amusing. LMAO

That would however explain a lot about JR if it were true. LOL

• Einstein

# CJ Legend 34 Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I would love to see Mike Mitchell knock someones lights out but I am not sure if Cable trusts his ball covering skills as of yet.

Personally, I would love to see the kid in on some plays!

Oh yeah, I can dig it!

———————————————————

I will call Cable on his personal cell phone and find out if he trusts Mike or not.

• Tatumluvr

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:35 pm
    Anybody think Mike Mitchell starts at FS with Hiram Eugene out?

Sledgehammer Mitchell in on running plays?

why not 1st Round pick Moreno or LaFat Jordan

****************************
    Let Huff get the start he’s been playing well these past two weeks leads the AFC in picks..damn?

I posted something about Mike Mitchell. It might be lost 5 or 7 posts above?

IBA’s time travel posting service at it again!

• 4evaRaider

Man I just love it when the sun is shining brightly and its raining at the same time!!!

• CJ Legend 34

Personally, I would love to see the kid in on some plays!

Oh yeah, I can dig it!

• JB

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:36 pm

BTW I wanted Monroe or Loadholt in the draft…
    ••••••••••••••••••••••
    I’m with you. I couldn’t believe when Eugene Monroe was available for our pick and then we passed on him – just plain dumb! Picking him would have solidified our OLT position and then allowed us to move Super Mario to ORT. Now that would have been smart. This is not saying anything about Bey but we needed big uglies before we needed more receivers. Besides, we found a good receiver in the 4th round.

Legend 34: Mike Mitchell doesn’t have to be a ballhawk. He just has to be in on 1st and 2nd down. I’m sure he can stuff the run as good or better than Hiram Eugene!

He can play centerfield if they choose to throw it on 1st or 2nd, but I think they’ll rely heavily on the ground attack instead of counting on Kyle Orton to put the team on his shoulders and lead them to victory against Nnamdi, CJ and company.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

I hope Pears comes out and plays well at LG…maybe when Gallery comes back Pears can move over to RG and we can replace the aging Cooper with a younger player?

(At least I think Pears is younger than Cooper)

And I hope Barnes eventually replaces Green at RT.

I haven’t watched Morris at C very much, but I have only noticed the one time he gave up a pretty bad sack in the SD game…I am sure I will have the Broncos-Raiders on TV this weekend, so I will watch Morris closely, but I seriously doubt he is the long-term solution at C.

• raiderdeek

Someone said something about how Javon Walker muffed a punt in the KC game and I just remembered how angry I was that the refs didn’t call interference on KC. A KC defender clearly bumped into Walker about a second before Walker was attempting to catch the ball. I’m not sure if the TV announcers were too far away to see, but they didn’t mention anything or maybe they didn’t care since the Raiders recovered it anyway or maybe they just don’t care about the Raiders in general. Walker still could have caught the ball, but I don’t really blame him since clearly there was interference on the play. I guess the non-call here makes up for the pathetic personal foul gift we got on the final winning drive of the game (KC linemen hitting JR when he tripped over his own linemen). Nothing makes up for the tuck-rule play or the non-td by Murphy…well…a superbowl would make up for it I guess.

• GalacticGus

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:35 pm
    Anybody think Mike Mitchell starts at FS with Hiram Eugene out?

Sledgehammer Mitchell in on running plays?

why not 1st Round pick Moreno or LaFat Jordan

****************************

*****
    tat… what if there is play action involved? we don’t want Mitchell to get over anxious and get burned on a deep ball. get Mitchel in on sure running downs and Huff has the experience to recognize the play action by now. We need his coverage on rollouts and play action.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Can you believe it, the Donkeys are now a 1 pt favorite.

• Nnamdi21

================

Metatarsal. Carpals the hand baby.