Pears will start at left guard

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 at 3:17 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Rather than create change at two positions, Raiders coach Tom Cable said Wednesday Erik Pears will replace Robert Gallery at left guard when Oakland hosts the Denver Broncos.

Cable said Pears has every position along the offensive line in the NFL, but the only game action has been at right and left tackle, where he had 26 starts with Denver in 2006 and 2007. Pears had seven starts at guard for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe in 2005.

Starting Pears at guard will enable to keep Chris Morris at center.

“I think one move rather than two is the way I felt,” Cable said. “That was the deciding factor.”

It’s another indication that Samson Satele, acquired by trade (the Raiders gave up a sixth round pick and swapped fourth-round selections) from Miami in the offseason to replace Jake Grove, has fallen far below expectations.

Morris is considered more versatile and better at making line calls and sight adjustments, something which will be crucial against a Denver 3-4 defense which Cable said can send pressure from different angles.

Punt returner Johnnie Lee Higgins fielded some punts and ran some plays at receiver, but sat out enough reps that he was listed as limited and classified as questionable. Cable said he believes Higgins will be able to play.

If not, Cable said Darren McFadden would return punts and call for fair catches.

That’s a dramatic shift from last week, when Hiram Eugene was the punt return specialist backed up by Javon Walker, with Cable saying he wanted them to return kicks and didn’t want to essentially forfeit that part of the game.

Eugene had a pair of fair catches and failed to field another punt which fortunately rolled into the end zone when it could have been downed inside the 5-yard line. When Eugene left because of injury, Javon Walker called for a fair catch, appeared to have his arm brushed by a Chiefs defender, and muffed the catch, with the Raiders recovering.

Cable said the Raiders had gotten a letter back from the league saying that Walker had indeed been hit and the non-call was a mistake on the part of the officials.

Those who did not practice included LG Robert Gallery (broken fibula), WR Chaz Schilens (broken metacarpal), WR Nick Miller (broken shin) and Eugene (calf strain). Eugene was walking in a protective boot, meaning Michael Huff could start at free safety.

Cable said he hoped Schilens would be practicing more at the end of the week but didn’t think he would be available to play Sunday.

More to come later . . .

• LA to TheBay

For the record, I agree with you, Kell.

We’ll all just have to wait and see. Either we eat crow or we get to have our ‘I told ya so’s.

Unfortunately, being that the kid only started 21 games and is 24, we won’t know for a while either way.
    I do know that the last 4 straight reg. season games he’s been in a Raider uniform, he left the field with a lead, 3 of them and almost 4, were Ws.

I’m out, Nation.

Be good.

• CaptainBlack

Dakota YOU ARE AN IDIOT! David White wrote Michael Huff will start at FS not Mitchell. You are stupid!

• Richochet

The following is the bigger underlying problem.
    Russell not only will NEVER be a leader, but is already being viewed as being anything but a leader.
    What?
    You don’t think that EVERY RECEIVER ON THE RAIDERS DIDN’T JUST READ how Russell stated that it’s THEIR FAULT?
    “NOT QUITE THERE YET”
    “THINGS THEY SHOULD KNOW”?

Here’s your worst reality..Russell doesn’t see this as being on him. He’s passing the buck to everyone he can, bumbling stumbling mumbling..while still not saying ‘THIS IS ON ME’ “THIS LOSS WAS ON ME.” “I NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB“

That’s what leaders do.
    they step up when they’re supposed to. They absorb much of the blame, when the other players know that ‘hey, that was actually on me”..they don’t do what Russell just did.

Oh..and let’s not leave out the ‘I KNOW I’M THE MAN. WAS NEVER WORRIED ABOUT BEING YANKED BY THE COACH”.

Now what’s the excuse?

==============
    QUOTE: “I know where the guys are going to be, but at the same time, once you look there, they’re not quite there yet,” Russell said. “Things sort of… you know… we worked on that, things that they should know and I should know . . . sometimes you have a guy get in your way so you’re not going to make your next step.”

That’s a word-for-word transcription, by the way, exhibiting that sometimes it’s as hard to see where Russell is going with an answer as where his pass is going on any given play.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

Richochet Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:12 pm

WHY CAN’T ANYONE MENTION THE QB’S WHO COME IN AND DO GOOD?
    Oh..I know why…BECAUSE IT DOESN’T BODE WELL FOR THOSE DEFENDING RUSSELL..that’s why.
    ==========================================

Because there are hardly any you damn fooking idiot. And once again, you can’t say Dan Marino, or John Elway, because those guys went to teams that were good by trading up to get them or drafting later than the top overall three. There’s a reason teams have been very reluctant to draft Q’s in the top three picks over the last few years. let’s take a nostalgic look back:

Do the names Vince Young, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Joey harrington, Michael Vick, Tim Couch, Donavan McNabb, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf ring a bell with any of you?? Those names are enough to give a GM gas. Not a real high percentage of NO MISS guys there. But once again the bottom line is rack-o-sheeit proves he doesn’t know sheeit do you rack-o?? But hey, go Alex Smith!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

You guys are sooooo negative over here. Good Lawd!!!

Post after post after post after post after post after post calling Russell names and saying he’s worse than some college QB. Calling for an emergency trade for Vick or Derek Anderson. And the Richochet/Misterbrown 24 hour vigil against a QB that plays for a team they have already acknowledged is not their favorite team.

Well for those FEW that still see the glass half full going into a game for 1st place against Denver…..Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan said that Russell can make it because he’s mentally tough. They said it takes a lot for someone struggling to come on the field on the last drive and get it done. They said many QBs would have sulked and been depressed over a bad game.

They said it just takes time and he’s not there yet…but he can get there. Also said he’s good on the sidelines. BTW, they also went through the “excuses” and acknowledged those set him back.

Anyway, I am sure Richocet would rather post about another “bench Russell” diatribe. Does he know that the 49ers are playing the Vikings this Sunday.

I can’t really blame Mistabrown…the Browns are never worth really following.

• Pingback: Cable said that McFadden could return punts.. - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• 860Todd Christensen

Hey Raiders Fans and wecolme to reality!
    Yes we have a young team, yes we have major injuries to counted on players.
    Blame the QB all you want, he is not a bust! He’s doing the best with what he has to work with.
    Yes, JR isn’t a major force as a QB yet, in this instant age of electronics, everyone is a bust in 1 minute, football is a game of time and production on the field, always has ,always will. In most cases, controlling clock, controls game. We had the clock thrown at us last game, but we pulled it out. That tells me a lot of what this team is made of. To sit and say one pass, or another, didn’t do what someone wanted, is an inaccurate assessment of the total exploits of this young team. I saw a lot of comradre in this years team, absent for so long, and if it carries into the next game, Donkies are getting re-shoed.
    It’s easy to sit in here and be haters, but this is my team, since 64, and I stand by them, in injury and health, that they will continue the uphill battle that the NFL presents them any given week.
    We are Raider Fans, we back our team, swaggering or staggering, we cover their azzes.
    You in?

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Hey Trolls & Freaks,

This is what happens to people with anti-social personalities. Freaks.

• Pingback: Pears will start at left guard - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Einstein

# 860Todd Christensen Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Hey Raiders Fans and wecolme to reality!
    Yes we have a young team, yes we have major injuries to counted on players.
    You in?

———————————————————

KoolKells other logon name.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# TBuckey Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I finally have a log in.does that officially make me a Raiders fan?
    ——————————————————

No. You have to piss all over rack-o-sheeit (Whiner Fan) and mistabrown (Browns fan.) Then, you are officially a Raider Fan!

• TBuckey

I finally have a log in.does that officially make me a Raiders fan?

• itzSteve

# Einstein Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:18 pm

# itzSteve Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I don’t understand why they would move Branch to FS and start Michell at SS. Leave Branch at SS and give Huff the start at FS. He has earned the chance!!!

———————————————————-

He has earned the chance by having TWO, TWO, TWO, decent games? Are you fauking stupid or just a moron?
    ___________________

I see where YOUR intelligence level is at…let’s start a rookie at SS (Michell) and move our best SS (Branch) over to FS instead of a 4yr vet whose lightbulb has finally gone on and has two…yes TWO quality games in a row! Get a grip dude, this isn’t the old Michael Huff we are talking about here…

• Einstein

# itzSteve Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:48 pm

# Einstein Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:18 pm

# itzSteve Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 3:57 pm

———————————————————-

___________________

——————————————————

ahh ok, “ItzSteve”, because you say so, I’m in man. I sure am glad it isn’t the “old Michael Huff we are talking about here”. Whew… I feel better now. Thanks for clearing that up “ItzSteve”. When I call Tob Cable, I say to him, hey Tom, “ItzEinstein”…

• 860Todd Christensen

Einstien, go to your own home page, please. Me and Kell are Raider Fans, have been for years, certainly longer than you sorry butt has been on this earth. You contribute nothing in life, why would you think you can contribute anything to this site? Punk!

• 860Todd Christensen

Einy, I’m only 53 and will put your sorry butt in,
    SNB, there is so much talent amassed on this team, it might not be this year, but the next 7 are looking real good!!!!:)

• Richochet

KoolKell Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:24 pm
    For the Record, I believe in JaMarcus Russell.
    =================
    For the record you also believe in Santa Claus.

Good news is JaMarcus can play Santa Claus this year, with no padding…so you have that going for ya.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

860Todd Christensen,

Great post. This Raider team has shown toughness and resiliancy these first two weeks. Some of these Raider fans are going to be embarrassed by the garbage they’ve posted over the last couple of weeks

• Einstein

# 860Todd Christensen Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:52 pm

————————————-

LOL. Whatever. So you are King Raider Fan eh? What you say goes? We bow down to your old azz because you have been Raider fan since 64. Damn man, enjoy it while you can you old goat, because you probably only have one or two seasons left in you.

Just the fact your name represents Todd Christensen…. Nevermind.

• 860Todd Christensen

Anyone notice I posted back in time! Einy, fear me! lol

• TBuckey

Oakglenn,

thanks for the heads up i’ll be sure to get on them when i see them.it feels good to get off the Eagles bandwagon after 5 long, stressful years.

LET’S GO RAIDERS!!!!!

• ottocrat

BREAKING NEWS: JaBlowme NoHustle will be placed on injured reserve because of a severe case of the gout. This will give him time to pursue his new television career. He will be the subject of a TLC documentary called: “The Half Ton Quarterback”

• Raider Dell

Einstein

Please comment on football, the part of trashing on Jamarcus. It brings out the comments and discussion on the blog. The other stuff is not you.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# TBuckey Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Oakglenn,

LET’S GO RAIDERS!!!!!
    ============================================

Welcome aboard! You will find it quite an amazing experience. Being a Raider fan is not just about following the team, it about being in a community where we all have your back. It’s just every once in awhile a couple of wayward souls have to be tossed over board. Now, grab some grog, enjoy the ride, and EXPECT TO WIN!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Richochet,

Wouldn’t it be more productive and mentally healthy for you to spend your time talking with other 49er fans about the possiblity of going 3-0?

Frank Gore ran for a whole heap of yards and your team is in 1st place…a strong 1st place. Singletary doing a nice job.

So why spend your time here, telling us over and over and over why JaMarcus (or whatever nickname you come up with) should be on the bench.

For a guy that doesn’t like the Raiders, you seem preoccupied with the QB.

I really don’t get it. But spend your time as you will

• Richochet

TBuckey Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:57 pm
    Oakglenn,

LET’S GO RAIDERS!!!

=====================================
    WAIT..You WERE a Eagles fan? But..after “5 long stressful years”..now you’re switching teams?

LMAO..damn…that is sorryass damn.

WTF? You admit you’re a bandwagon fan?
    So, you just kind of jump around from team to team?
    Support numerous teams? Numerous hats in the drawer?

ARE YOU SERIOUS?
    who the hell decides “haven’t won a SB, so I’m switching teams’?

Now, it’s obvious you didn’t pick the raiders because you think they’ll win a SB in your lifetime, so I can only surmise that it’s because you like wearing a pirate on your shirt, right? Makes ya feel tough..like in “aaarrrrughhhh”?

• 860Todd Christensen

SNB, I’m with you, the team is finding its nitch, but rough waters are before us, I say 9/6, we have the tallent, everyone counts us out, that is our advantage. We are the Raiders, no explaination needed!

• Einstein

# Raider Dell Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Einstein

———————————————————

You are right Dell. My bad. Look, I will be the FIRST to admit I was wrong by dissing JaFur Coat. Sure isn’t looking good for him at this point though. At what point in time are excuses non existent for his poor play?

• 860Todd Christensen

Richo-woman, Thank god I respect women, otherwise your rediculous rants in here might hold some value. You are not going to bring me into your everyday banter, just meet me for one day for coffee!
    I’m sure this site would enjoy it, and I will have cameras to record it, punk!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

860Todd Christensen Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:12 pm
    =======================================================
    I am with Cable….Focus on going 1-0. Don’t get bogged down in the B.S…like the stuff posted here…and don’t get overconfident over a strong showing. Just put 100% into the next game.

They should be able to compete against anyone on this schedule because they can play good, tough defense. Seymour is worth 2 1st round picks.

I’ve been preaching this for a long time….when you can play good stout defense, no apologies or compromise defense….you will be in every game.

• Richochet

860Todd Christensen Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 5:12 pm
    ===========================
    Wow.
    You’re..uh…in your 50′s? And you spell like that?
    Damn…well, be that as it may, I fail to see how it’s to your advantage.
    See, everyone counted you out in ’03.
    You stayed out.
    In ’04? Same counting. Same result.
    ’05? Oh yeah..and on, and on, and on..so..why, now, is it to your advantage, when for the last 6 years you were counted out, and you went down for the count?

Oh..because you HOPE SO???
    Ah…got it. Well, hell, I hope it rains diamonds tomorrow.
    We both have the same odds on realizing our dream, don’t we?

• Raider Dell

Einstein

Fair comment. To others in this blog, the missed throws on some of the easy excuted plays are very troublesome, and are very bad throws.

I have to believe Jamarcus will never be a high percentage QB, regarding his accuracy, but it would be nice to see a completed screen pass or a out pattern completed.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

New post you guys

• Pingback: Per David White Tweet: Eugene officially out. Branch moves to FS and Mitchell to SS - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Pingback: The RaiderCast | Pears will start at left guard

• TBuckey

Richocet,

im not a bandwagon jumper i just REALLY got into football five years ago after basketball got boring and MJ retired.i got hooked to the Eagles b/c….well it’s a long story.after a while i realized that i wasnt a true fan like you’re supposed to be.i do like the Raiders b/c of their history–even though they have been the worst team the past six years–so i feel like i will be with them forever;win or lose.

• Pingback: The RaiderCast | Evening AFC West news and notes

• RaiderRetribution

just make sure that forum post on the safeties switching positions isn’t from raidermick, because if it is, i have some atlantic coast beach property to sell you from spokane