Russell, Gannon address inaccuracy

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 at 1:46 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, quizzed about his accuracy problems in his weekly meeting with the media Wednesday, said timing has been a problem with his young receivers.

Through two games, Russell is 19-for-54, a league-low 35.2 percent. No other NFL starter is below 50 percent _ a figure Russell would need 16 consecutive completions to reach.

“On my behalf, sometimes extra-hitching it, the drop-step, when you’re expecting a guy to be a certaind depth,” Russell said. “Things like that happen. Just move on from it and look forward to the next game.”

Asked about the youth in the offense, Russell said, “That’s a part of it. Most of them are learning on the move. Most of them learning every day, the things we do with them. We try to get everybody on the same page.”

Russell described the issues of the passing game as not one thing but a lot of little things that will “get that ball going different ways.” He said he’s not always sure where receivers are going to be depending on the route.

“I know where the guys are going to be, but at the same time, once you look there, they’re not quite there yet,” Russell said. “Things sort of… you know… we worked on that, things that they should know and I should know . . . sometimes you have a guy get in your way so you’re not going to make your next step.”

That’s a word-for-word transcription, by the way, exhibiting that sometimes it’s as hard to see where Russell is going with an answer as where his pass is going on any given play.

Russell downplayed having a “breakout” game, saying, “I just see a complete game coming. I wouldn’t know what you want to call a breakout. But something we can go in there and just continue to do it on a consistent basis.”

Then there’s the loss of a wide receiver Russell trusted in Chaz Schilens.

“Chaz, he’s a big guy that you can miss at times,” Russell said. “He started off, was making some big plays. The guy can go up and attack the ball. He’s one that we can say that we miss. But at the same time, that’s why we have guys to step up in that spot for. Just work those guys.

“Don’t know when Chaz will be back. Hopefully he’ll be back soon. It is a guy that we miss out there.”

It could be all the function of having a great punter. When it doubt, throw it out of bounds and let Shane Lechler do his job.

“With the punter we have, you know, all-world Shane Lechler, go to the sideline, look at again, come back out again, let’s do it again,” Russell said.

Gannon on Russell

During his show on Sirius Satellite Radio, Gannon gave a thorough breakdown of Russell’s game as only he can. Gannon will be the color analyst Sunday in Oakland.

Among his observations:

– “I’ve talked to personnel people around the league. I’ve talked to people who have been at the games and there’s a lot of concern right now about JaMarcus Russell and his accuracy, his completion percentage. So I went back and did a study. I looked at his 21 starts, he’s completing just over 51 percent of his passes. And then this season, you look at his first two weeks, he’s completing around 35 percent of his passes. That obviously is not very good. I just think he’s missing too many opportunities and he’s holding back this offense right now.

“So what I did was I broke down every pass attempt from the first two weeks. I looked at whether he was under center or in the shotgun. I looked at the personnel on the field. I looked at whether it was a three-step drop, a five step drop, a seven-step drop, whether it was play action, whether he was rolling, and I really tried to break it down.”

– “There’s a number of things that you need to take into consideration. First and foremost, he’s had a number of different coaches, a number of different play-callers, a number of different coordinators, different QB coaches, in just his three short years in the league. That, I think, has had an impact on him, a negative impact. The second thing is the inexperience and lack of production at the wide receiver position has hurt him as well. Finally, after looking at all the film, I am convinced that all the things that he is struggling with can be corrected. So that’s a positive.”

– “A couple of things are very glaring. I think, you see a lot of times he falls away from throws. He seems to bail. I think a rush up inside bothers him. He needs to get more bend in his knees when he throws. He’s very upright and not a lot of bend in his knees. It may have something to do with his weight. He seems to be more comfortable operating out of shotgun than he does under center. He doesn’t do a very good job seeing out in front of throws and I think that comes with experience, really understanding and anticipating coverages. So that’s not something he does. When you look at the offensive game plan, the passing game, I think they’ve condensed the plan. It’s not very complicated. Fundamentally, right now, he is not very sound. His mechanics, his footwork, it’s inconsistent.”

– “He is much better, his completion percentage is much better, when he’s throwing to the tight end in that offense. Clearly, there’s a comfort level there with Zach Miller.”

– “I think sometimes he predetermines where he’s going to go with the ball. You can see that he makes up his mind very early in his drop. And the other thing is he misses a number of throws, almost a majority of his throws if you go back and look at it, they’re high which tells you that more of that weight is not on the front foot, that he’s leaning back, he’s throwing off of his back foot. These are some things that really jump out at me.”

– “Let me say this in terms of the coaching. He may have the premier (quarterbacks) coach in the National Football League when it comes to footwork, when it comes to preparing a quarterback in terms of the mechanics. Paul Hackett was my QB coach in Kansas City and was one of the big reasons why I was able to go on and have success in Oakland. He is a phenomenal coach. He coached Joe Montana. He’s coached a lot of great players in this league. I know he’s got a good coach there in Paul Hackett, his quarterbacks coach, a guy that I have the utmost respect for, and I know these are not the types of things, when I look at (Russell’s) footwork, that he’s coaching.”

• 4evaRaider

go Russell

• 4evaRaider

4evaRaider Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:46 pm
    Man I just love it when the sun is shining brightly and its raining at the same time!!!

• Pingback: Russell, Gannon address inaccuracy - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

Yeah Russell should throw it sidearm like Gannon, and never more than 8 yeards downfield. And try to steamroll a LB on a scramble.

Methinks Gannon has arm envy…

Where would Russell’s numbers be if he had Timmy, Garner and Rice to toss to?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

I hope Pears comes out and plays well at LG…maybe when Gallery comes back Pears can move over to RG and we can replace the aging Cooper with a younger player?

(At least I think Pears is younger than Cooper)

And I hope Barnes eventually replaces Green at RT.

I haven’t watched Morris at C very much, but I have only noticed the one time he gave up a pretty bad sack in the SD game…I am sure I will have the Broncos-Raiders on TV this weekend, so I will watch Morris closely, but I seriously doubt he is the long-term solution at C.

Gannon would berate Jamarcus until he got PO’d and swallowed Rich whole.

• 4evaRaider

Cant wait till sunday!!!

• CJ Legend 34

Man that would be sweet if he went off and started poping guys Ronnie Lott style.

Speaking of rookie sensations it is time for DHB to have a break out game. I see that rookie WR Johnny Knox for Chicago is turning into the still of the draft. Ouch!

——————————————————
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 1:53 pm
    Legend 34: Mike Mitchell doesn’t have to be a ballhawk. He just has to be in on 1st and 2nd down. I’m sure he can stuff the run as good or better than Hiram Eugene!

He can play centerfield if they choose to throw it on 1st or 2nd, but I think they’ll rely heavily on the ground attack instead of counting on Kyle Orton to put the team on his shoulders and lead them to victory against Nnamdi, CJ and company.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Gannon, come save Russell…forget Hackett…you come coach him and PUSH him. Maybe Russell needs a former NFL MVP to get him going…not some fat guy like Hack…

• CJ Legend 34

Gannon,

Finally, did a good job of not giving his own opinion and breaking Russel down witht the facts. Nice article Gannon way to be a pro analyst instead of a movie critic – Like those guys at ESPN!!!!!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Huff emerges in fourth season with Raiders
    (AP) – 46 minutes ago

ALAMEDA, Calif. — Michael Huff is finally turning into the big-play safety the Oakland Raiders expected when they drafted him seventh overall in 2006.

After struggling his first three years and losing his starting job, Huff has emerged early in his fourth season. He has intercepted three passes and recovered a fumble in the first two games for the Raiders. He had only one interception and one fumble recovery in the first 48 games of his career.

Huff credits increased film study and working with Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha for his success. Coach Tom Cable says he sees a much more confident player than the one he benched midway though last season.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Interview with Branch…someone listen to it and then tell me if it is worth my time please, lol. 20 minutes long.

• 4evaRaider

I always liked Morris b/c Mich.St was #5 in the nation in total offence when he was a senior,averaging almost 500 yard a game.The kid is a good young center who I hope his time has come

• CJ Legend 34

JB,

Speech and quick mental decision making really does not coordinate.
    There are a number of race car drivers that have broken english, mumble when they speak but man can they drive at high speeds!

—————————————————
    JB Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:10 pm
    If Russell thinks the way he speaks, there’s reason to be very concerned. He comes across as very disjointed – unable to complete a thought. The QB position requires a lot of mind power. It’s not all about physical strength but more so being able to formulate a potentially complex plan and then to implement the plan sequentially. Put simply, maybe he just can’t decide what to do first, second, third, etc. Gannon was correct concerning JR throwing off of his back foot. JR needs to step into those passes and not just depend on arm strength getting it there. Technique IS IMPORTANT. I’m glad to hear from Gannon that Hackett is the right coach to be there. Hopefully, he’ll be able to get Russell turned around.

• big chill

anyone hear if the game is a sell out.

• CJ Legend 34

Vegas I think Gannon said that was one of the problems. What do you think his problem is?
    ———————————————-
    vegas raider Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:13 pm
    Daily Jamarcus excuse……

He’s not bending his knees enough!!!!!

• JB

• CJ Legend 34

You heard it from me first!

Jamarcus Russel and the running game will get the Raiders to the playoffs this year and he will be a trimmer, very reliable QB next year!

• Einstein

This blog article is going to turn into a mess. JaMarcus haters vs. JaMarcus lovers. What Jerry and Gannon ( and what JaMarcus didn’t say) is going to be spun left and right. This is about to get very interesting.

Personally, I think JaMarcus is a fat loser and he has body odor.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Daily Jamarcus excuse……

He’s not bending his knees enough!!!!!

• legend

russell has got his money.now he is pulling a bosworth for whatever reason.the only differance is russell is hanging around to purposley make a mockery of things.strange,strange very strange dude.personally wouldn,t worry about the threat of death, just go out and take care of biz for 4 quarters or fake insanity and open up a flower shop.

the Titans just booted DL Mitch King off thier practice squad. I think we should sign him to ours!

punter Craig Hentrich has an injured calf so they added a punter and gave up on the rookie.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

We need Mike Mitchell to be physical and “clean up” the pile at the end of runs. Too many times the LB’s stack up, but the pile gets driven for a few extra yards.

Watch Dawkins this weekend, he’s one of the best in the league at doing it.

The difference between 3rd and 2′s and 3rd and 5′s.

• http://raidermight.com RaiderMight

I hope they all keep the critism of Russell coming. This young guy needs to either break or change his habbits. Al is not going to push him to own the QB position, so I hope the boos from the Nation and all of the negative press will get to him. Either step up or step off.

Can’t hide behind the country-bumpkin act. You can’t blame our rookie WRs until you start completing the short passes to your RBs and TEs with consistancy.

Own up to your f*ups and put in more work. It’s obviously not enough.

STEP UP AND OWN THE O! Most of the Nation is getting sick of regression!

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:09 pm
    ———————————————-
    vegas raider Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:13 pm
    Daily Jamarcus excuse……

He’s not bending his knees enough!!!!!

********************************

It’s my running joke, a daily excuse why he isn’t suceeding.

I think he has a few issues, but I think he is an inaccurate QB, always has been his problematic area. He’s got a serious set of stone’s on him, so you can build off that, but there is no excuse for overthrowing screen passes. You are just plain blowing it, choking.

He still has time, but one more 7 for 23 might just sour the defense. It should be easy to improve from last week, how can’t he, and we just have to build from there.

• jhill

Who is the veteran leader on the offense?

The defense has Nnamdi AND Seymour, and look at the results!

We need a pro bowl veteran addition to the offensive line.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

jhill Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:18 pm
    Who is the veteran leader on the offense?
    ___________________________

Mop Handle and Javon Walker.

Nuff said.

• Raider Dell

JB Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:24 pm
    Anybody else think DMac should be switched to the slot receiver position? I think he would shine there if on a full time basis. I think we’d be better off leaving the running to Bush, Fargas & Rankin. They usually don’t go down at first contact. DMac is just not all that great between the tackles. He’d do well on reverses and receptions in the open. He has good hands and could excel as a receiver.

Another Raider RB of the past was moved from RB to TE. He did OK (a real understatement). Remember Todd Christiansen (SP?)?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dakota

What do you think of this idea?

• CJ Legend 34

Man DHB needs to have a big game Sunday. I keep hearing about Johnny Knox being the high speed steal of this years draft for Chicago. We could have taken a linman and used Knox for a “speed decoy” that can make big catches.

• Einstein

# CJ Legend 34 Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:20 pm

———————————————————–

I would consider Louis Murphy a steal at this point in time as well.

• jhill

Couldn’t agree more on Gannon, Dakota.

Bring him in as OC/Asst Head Coach, and let Tollner go on his merry way!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Raider Dell Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:20 pm
    JB Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:24 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dakota

What do you think of this idea?

_______________________________

My mom once told me, “If you can’t say anything nice…keep your damned trap shut.” I think I’ll finally heed that advice.

• Tatumluvr

In terms of QB coach Hackett is excellent…now head coaching is another story

• JB

• Bubermeister

Stop with the excuses..this guy is attrocious with his throws and reads…He has had Hackett mentoring him all summer and I’m not so sure that’s helping. He has no dedication for the game and/or intelligence. Various media outlets and coach Cable has question his dedication but not one is willing to address his intelligence for the game…a waste of talent.

• ottocrat

It can’t help that he telegraphs every throw. That’s something everybody at home, and in the stands can see. He stares down the intended receiver every time. At the MNF game, the folks in our section were able to predict where he was going to throw just by looking at his JaNormous head.

• Raider-405

I think after reading Gannon’s comments, I am SHOCKED beyond belief he has anything positive to say!

Has he said one positive Silver and Black comment since 2004?

Am I wrong?

Something to be said as far as the critique. IMO

• ottocrat

They should just ban press access to Russle. Because, after reading what he has to say, I don’t exactly feel better about the situation.

• XTB3

Paul Hackett

“Let me say this in terms of the coaching. He may have the premier (quarterbacks) coach in the National Football League when it comes to footwork, when it comes to preparing a quarterback in terms of the mechanics.”

Say What???????????????

wiki

Hackett three year tenure started in 1998, where he guided the Trojans to the Sun Bowl; losing in a major upset to TCU. Hackett’s final two years at the school were difficult, as the fans and alumni base turned against him.[2] His 1999 and 2000 Trojans football teams were the first USC teams to have consecutive non-winning seasons since 1960-61.[3] The 2000 team was tied for last place in the Pacific-10 Conference.[1] His winning percentage as USC coach was .514, compared to the school’s then all-time win percentage of .691.[4] USC fired Hackett on November 27, 2000; to do so, it spent $800,000 to buy out the remaining two years of his five-year, $3.5-million contract.

After leaving USC – as their head coach, Hackett served as the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets from 2001 to 2004.”

Where Hackett was severely bashed by the media and fans.

• SC

What him said?

• CJ Legend 34

****Must read on DMACs use***********************

I need some of my older “80s-(early)90s” Raiders to help me answer this question for JB. Do any of you remember Eric Metcalf (fast, fast, fast)he played college at Texas, NFL for the Browns most of his career. He was a great RB/flanker/WR/KR very fast guy with good hands able to make a play anywhere on the field. I thik we should play McFadden a lot like this guy. We need to create more space and use his God given speed. Bush runs better off tackle. Get DMAC to the outside and let him get some reciving yardage as well.

——————————————————-
    JB Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:24 pm

• http://i41.tinypic.com/eb53t3.jpg Lynn from Snot

Dmac should be used everywhere on the field WR , slot ,motion, wildhog , out of the backfield. Give the defense more things to think about.

• LA to TheBay

Ricky,

Again, you’re not really reading what I’m saying.

You’re just looking for a snide remark.

He is inconsistent. I’m not making excuses for him. It’s called an assessment. You should have someone with a psychology degree give you one.

Maybe he can coax out of you the awful, supressed rage of having Al Davis take your manhood.

• CJ Legend 34

Youtube Eric Metcalf – check out his game!!!!

Use DMAC like this Cable!!!!!!!!!!!!

—————————————————–
    CJ Legend 34 Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:29 pm
    ****Must read on DMACs use***********************

——————————————————-
    JB Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:24 pm

• XTB3

Gannon did NOT even mention those many throws to Russell’s receiver standing 5 yards away from him with no opposing player within 5 yards of either Russell or his target that he was off target by many yards.

• Richochet

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    September 23rd, 2009 at 2:11 pm
    You heard it from me first!

=========================
    THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS.

Dude..are you going for comedy points?
    funny stuff, if you are.

And you said it with a straight face?

Wow..now “that’s” control. ;)

• SC

Jamarcus is 100% on 40 plus yrds. Thats the problem…playing calling!

run…bomb…run…bomb…bomb….run

forget the short throws…problem solved!

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Bottom line, Gannon who I do not like, said JaMarcus had flaws that were CORRECTABLE. Mechanics, not being in sync with the WR’s, coaching(maybe to much advice in different directions). Never said he was a bust. As much as I don’t want to give Gannon credit, good breakdown of JR.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I question the whole notion that Jamarcus has “all the talent in the world”. The guy is huge, and as much as we can question his work ethic, he is in the NFL and in excellent shape for any normal person. No doubt the guy will weight 350 pounds and have all kinds of health issues with his legs and knees and probably diabetes after he retires. He looks the part.

And being that big has it’s disadvantages. Look at Shaq with his free throws. When I saw Mark Sanchez’s TD last week on the super-screen at the Hilton, it hit me that it was such a touchy, “finesse” pass, that Jamarcus really has zero chance of doing something like that, due to being 6’8, having huge hands and more strength. The ball is too damn small for him for some of these patterns, lol.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Some of you might recall that I lost a bet over the 2008 NBA finals, and I ended up buying a Celtics’ jersey for a Raider fan named CT Raider. We have kept in touch via e-mail and he wanted me to tell everyone “Hi” and post this link, which is a picture of him at a Broncos-Raiders game: