Postgame wrap

News, notes, quotes and analysis from the Raiders’ 23-3 loss to Denver Sunday at the Coliseum:

– Raiders coach Tom Cable said he never considered taking JaMarcus Russell out of the game and wouldn’t speculate about replacing him in the future if the quarterback continues to struggle.

“I just feel like we have to keep moving forward, trying to figure out what is going to help him be at his best,” Cable said.

Cable took the blame for Russell’s first interception, having him throw the ball out of his own end zone.

“I thought we could get them in a single-high safety and they bailed out to a two and Darrius fell down on that,” Cable said. “The bottom line is I could have called a better play.”

Former Raider Renaldo Hill intercepted that one. The second pick, to Andre Goodman, “was just an overthrow.”

– According to Russell, both plays should have been ruled pass interference. He said Heyward-Bey was “turned in” by a defender which resulted in what Cable said was an overthrow.

No flag was thrown on the first interception because by officials are not supposed to throw flags when receivers and defensive backs get their feet tangled.

– Asked about the booing Russell received, Cable said, “We have to play better. These fans deserve a better football team than what we showed today. How do they handle that? Obviously you hope it ticks them off and they deal with it the right way, they put more attention to the details during the week, that we demand more from them during the week and we play better on Sunday.”

– When asked if he was satisfied by his progression as an NFL quarterback, Russell said, “I am, but when you get tough looks like that, and a tough crowd, hey it’s the NFL, you have continue to progress yourself in becoming the person that you want to be.

“I know I’m not there yet. I know that. The best thing for myself is to keep preparing for Day 1 and go out and I’m going to keep on playing, until coach, we decide what we’re going to do, as far as, find a way, from coach on down until the last guy on the roster. We have to find a way to make ourselves better.

– My Web exclusive column about how the Raiders came up so small.

– Anyone seen a pass rush lately? Quarterback Kyle Orton (13-for-23, 157 yards) was not sacked and was not hurried.

“He sat back there all day. I don’t know that he was hurried more than once or twice,” Cable said. “Had some pressure there in the second half that was not getting there, where he would get the ball out on time. I thought they did a great job being able to stay on the field by running the football to keep them out of those situations.”

True enough. The Broncos hammered away with 45 rushes for 215 yards, which does a lot to soften up pressure.

– Pretty disturbing that with everything on the line Sunday _ a potential 2-1 start against the AFC West _ that Cable and Nnamdi Asomugha both cited a poor Friday practice as clue that the Raiders simply weren’t ready as they should have been.

“You win it before the game even starts,” Asomugha said. “Because you know what the team is going to do. You know how to attack them. You know how to play defense against them. I think those are the types of things we have to shore up and get better at. And then winning takes care of itself at that point.”

– Just as distrubing _ Denver is 3-0 but could fall to earth rather quickly over the next five games against Dallas, New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Say this for the the Broncos _ Josh McDaniels has established a discernable scheme and style of play and tailored it to throttle the Raiders in every area.

As far as its stingy defense, keep in mind Denver’s last two opponents have been Cleveland and Oakland, two of the worst offenses in the NFL. It’s not like Mike Nolan has re-invented the Ravens in Denver.

– Running back Darren McFadden fumbled three times, losing one, and had 48 yards rushing and receiving on 15 touches as he he awaits the sort of breakout game which has been missing ever since his Week 2 rookie performance against Kansas City.

McFadden was long gone by the time the media came into the locker room, but did show up on a post-game quote sheet compiled by the P.R. staff.

“It was a rough day for us, just one of those days when we couldn’t get things done,” McFadden said.

Guess they forgot to ask about the fumbles.

– Defensive end Richard Seymour wasn’t interested in discussing his 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty against offensive tackle Ryan Clady, and some heavy-handed action by the P.R. staff made sure Seymour didn’t answer any questions about anything else, either.

Santa Rosa Press Democrat columnist Lowell Cohn approached Seymour and asked, “That particular penalty, I wonder if I could trouble you to tell me what happened.”

“Did you see the game?,” Seymour said.

Cohn said he saw the game and asked if the penalty was a “mistake.”

“Wasn’t no mistake,” Seymour said.

Cohn asked Seymour why he did it, and Seymour said, “Get out of here.”

At that point, public relations staffer Mike Taylor terminated the interview and said Seymour wasn’t talking to anyone about anything. He later came to the press box and told Cohn that before he stepped on the grounds again his paper would have to deal with him “inciting the players.”

Inciting, as in, “I wonder if I could trouble you to tell me what happened.”

Look this wasn’t Seymour’s proudest moment, and everyone does something they regret. But it seemed a little out of character for a guy whose reputation was as a leader who would inspire his teammates to greater heights.

– Javon Walker was inactive again as Russell threw seven passes to rookie starters Louis Murphy and Darrius Heyward-Bey, with Murphy catching two for 25 yards and Heyward-Bey zero.

“All I know is I go out, I practice, I’m always the other team’s number one receiver,” Walker said. “This week I was Brandon, next week, going into Houston obviously, I’m going to be Andre Johnson.

“So, that’s how I get my work in and I give these guys a good look. I just let the staff and the organization make the decisions on however they want to make them.”

– Players that didn’t finish the game were cornerback John Bowie (an MCL issue to the left knee of unknown severity), Michael Huff (rib, quad) and Mike Mitchell (thumb). Defensive end Greg Ellis was still slumped in a chair with ice bag on his left shoulder after many teammates and already showered, dressed and departed.

– Rookie wide receiver Louis Murphy was on the field laughing and joking acquiantences on the Broncos following the game, but was declining all postgame interview requests.

– Saw Rich Gannon when I was coming off the elevator and he was getting on. We exchanged greetings, and he went up to the TV booth and did not come out. A member of a local radio crew tried to get in to talk with someone else in the booth and was told all non-essential personnel weren’t allowed in the booth and that it was a “high-alert” situation.

– The attendance of 45,602 was the lowest since a 44,594 crowd against the New York Giants on Dec. 31, 2005 in the regular-season finale with Kerry Collins at quarterback. That was 25 home games ago.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Brien the General

Gannon told the damn truth. I wasnt a big Gannon guy or whatever but cant argue with what was said

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

weaselbit Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:20 pm
    # UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

javon walker = marcus allen treatment

Weaselbit:

When did Walker even remotely accomplish anything close to Marcus Allen?
    That comparison makes no sense.

============================================

al is sitting him while he is healthy that’s all i meant i was’nt comparing the 2 in any way other than that.

• Brien the General

Raideredout……………guess who help lead the chant? I DID

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

oakglenn

if not frye or gradowski what would you suggest. i mean we cannot stick with JaPoatroast thats obvious.

our defense is going to give up points when the offense is cont. going 3 and out and throwing 1st down int’s

something has to be done it’s a good thing we do not play detroit this year.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# Brien the General Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Raideredout……………guess who help lead the chant? I DID
    ==============================================

I actually HEARD you start that chant! And the entire crowd picked it up quickly. It really made me cringe too Bri. I don’t blame you or the fans for being disgusted or booing or chanting. We are ALL tired of seeing what we are seeing out there. The only problem I had with it is the offense then went completely into self destruct mode, which always happens. It happens EVERY TIME. Same exact thing happened in the late game last nite. Zona fan started booing Zona, and they completely self destructed. It happens every time.

• weaselbit

After the 1st game I thought, “We lost but the team looks improved and had some nice drives.”

After the 2nd I got this creepy sense of foreboding.

They lost me after the 1st half of this last one.

It’s taking the fun out of being a Raider fan.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

MR, must it always be racist to mention the intellectual shortcomings of a black person?

……

If you’re specifically making the point to insult black people? Yes. Name one thing black people do wrong that white people don’t do themselves, Bo.

• Brien the General

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Brien, I hardly listen to rap at all anymore, and I never watch music videos. Are they even on anymore? Keep reaching, whitey.
    **********************

Just awful! Copying me even! LOL I tell people to stop reaching but yet you wanna copy me. LOL too funny MR too funny. That is why I always enjoy your posts. Always brings extra laughter to my life.

When did I say anything about music videos? LOL hilarious

• Raider Headbutt

I would honestly not be suprised of we do not win another game this year with the way our offense is playing.

That which means we could possibly get the #1 pick. This is not a reach by any means at all.

• getoutofoakland

go back to L.A. we dont want u here!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Oakglenn, have any sources that Kiffin was the one who wanted Javon Walker, Ashley Lelie, and Ron Curry?

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

don’t get me wrong im not defending javon w. i have stated many times before when you MAKE IT RAIN IN A CLUB IN VEGAS you get what you get.

i just read his interviews and he say’s he’s healthy making cuts ready to go and he cannot understand why he’s not playing. one of the reports should tell him to refer to marcus allen.

• Nnamdi21

Brien the General Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 11:38 am
    Nnamdi…growing pains? Loser pains

=========================

Eloquent and concise argument. You have swayed me sir. Russell is the worst guy since Hitler

• Brien the General

Anyhow………..time to shake the spot. MR have a great day lying and defending Russell.

MR, go find a woman so you end your drought of never feeling a woman’s warmth lol

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:27 pm
    Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

……

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Talking about ONE person here…not a race. And anyways, saying one person (who happens to be black) is stupid does not REMOTELY imply that there are NO white stupid people.

Your logic = missing.

• wishbone

Can someone please explain something for me? I am neither black nor white, but why is it if a non-black person critisizes a horrible black quarterback they are a racist. If a player stinks and is not capable of getting the job done who the &uck care what color they are. If JaIdiot can run the offense, complete passes & win games that would be great. However he can’t do that. He can even pull his head out of his fat a&&.

• Brien the General

Hitler was crazy but he wasnt as bad as Stalin or Mao. Hitler was an amazing speaker and knew how to move the crowd. Too bad he was a mad man

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Brien, I’m sorry, you’re right. You did coin the phrase “keep reaching”. I just looked it up. That’s absolutely true. Wow. Amazing. Not only are you an expert on every single topic from black accents to the Kardashians, you’ve also invented many modern day pop phrases. I’m so honored to be chatting with you right now.

• weaselbit

After the 2nd I got this creepy sense of foreboding.

They lost me after the 1st half of this last one.

It’s taking the fun out of being a Raider fan. Sp there you go.

• elguapo2010

Jamarcus is fatso!
    I just saw him at a taco truck at lunch time! Gordo!

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

from twitter

Adam_SchefterCould be a long year in Miami. @mortreport reporting on ESPN that QB Chad Pennington is out for the year

HOW COME WE CANNOT BE SO LUCKY ???

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

================================================

Yeah, check the starting lineups of the games. And see who was inactive for those same games.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Sure, Brien. Only someone who doesn’t get laid would take offense to your open racism. There’s a bunch of guys who don’t get laid waiting for your white a ss in any black neighborhood in America, Brien, for you to talk your racist s’t there, too. Have a good day.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Oakglenn, Al Davis is involved with team operations. How does the starting lineup determine that Kiffin was the one who wanted those guys?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

# Brien the General Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:31 pm

…………..

Something you always hear from black people. Could there be anymore doubt as to your obvious whiteness? I used to think that maybe you were a white kid who grew up in the town, and has sort of a love/hate relationship with your black neighbors. Now I’m picturing Shilinger from Oz.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

Kiffin was not the ones who signed them, but kiffin was the one who played them instead of developing the younger players. That was my point. It is pretty well documented, look it up yourself.

• JB

Right now we’d lose to the Detroit Lions.

Pretty damn sad if you ask me. $32 million dollars doesn’t buy us what it used to. Instead of getting the standard pile of crap we’ve now got the giant economy sized pile. Whoopie!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Oakglenn, based on what you’ve said and what I already know about this franchise, I’m not convinced it was Kiffin who wanted those guys. Unless you’ve got any kind of proof, i.e., Kiffin outright saying he wanted them, etc. Sounds like you’re reaching to clear Al’s name in regards to the mess this team is in. Anyone with a brain knows that Al makes the final call, on just about everything.

• LA to TheBay

The media shouldn’t ask Cable if he considered pulling Russell as QB, they should have asked him if he’s considered pulling himself as playcaller.

Or is he?

The plays he called last year in Tampa, with Al Davis 3,000 miles away, were pretty solid. Matter of fact, so were the ones he called in week one.

Something or someone got to him.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

Sure MR. Right down to the play calling. He sends the plays in by smoke signals. From his booth. Warren Sapp told us.

• DKnight007

UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:34 pm
    from twitter

HOW COME WE CANNOT BE SO LUCKY ???

^^^^^^Chad Henne migh actually do decent….at least he can throw the ball down the field and has an arm.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I’m out of here, guys. This word press is raising my blood pressure.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

OK, Oakglenn. Al Davis isn’t involved at all. You’re right. So then, are you going to thank Jon Gruden for building us that team earlier this decade? See you later tonight, Oakglenn.

• wishbone

Al admitted that Kiffin didn’t want JaIdiot. He also didn’t want JLH or Mario Henderson. Two outta three aint bad. Bottom for better or for worse Al makes the draft pick, signs the free agents, chooses the defensive sheme, ect. The only thing Al does not do is wipe his own a&& or change his diaper. John Herrera does all that. Be prepared guys for more & more JaIdiot. He will go down in history as the worst full time starting QB in the NFL. Not even cryin Ryan Leaf is as low as JaIdiot. At least Ryan Leaf had half a brain. Not sure yet if JaIdiot has any. If you guys are wondering where Nick Miller is JaIdiot ate him.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# LA to TheBay Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Or is he?

Something or someone got to him.
    ================================================

I know you guys want to believe that on the deep throw out of the end zone, Al Davis sent a messenger down to the field to call that play. But, actually, that is not what happened. The lst pick Jamarcus threw was an old Bobby Bowden Florida State play, where backed up in your own end zone, you throw deep, hoping for a) a completion and big play or b) PI.
    The worst thing that happens, a pick, is like a punt, without the potential for disaster. Bowden has talked about doing that a lot in coaches meetings and I’ve seen it work both ways that he got the big play and where he got picked but it was like a punt
    . There were a lot of things that went wrong on that particular play: Russell throwing into double coverage was ridiculous, DHB falling down making it for an easy Int, and then getting a 25 yard return didn’t help matters either.

• Raiders4eve

I wonder if JR keeps proving that he is a bust, r we going to start Gradgowitzki or Frye or maybe bring back Jeff Garcia, but what abt RT Green is garbage too.

• DKnight007

Who cares….until this the owner, owner, coaches and players start pulling their heads outta their collective a$$ses….I will keep betting against this team to LOSE until the OLD STUBBORN MAN AL DAVIS RETIRES OR DIES!

• LA to TheBay

Roast me if you wish, Nation

Russell is not a bad QB.

He is getting no help from his WRs or playcallers.

He gets all the support in the owrld, maybe too much, from an organizational stand point.

For now – he is the guy. Help him out a bit, this is your franchise, Al. We all know he’s got arm strength. Instead of showing it off, work on the stuff he needs to improve on or let him learn from the bench.

Even if it takes a minute, I think he’ll be OK.

Plunkett was a bust until he won a SB. Twice.

Bradshaw was a bust. Until he won a SB. Four times.

As a matter of fact, look at Bradshaw. Wasn’t #1 overall pick, but same comparisons to Russell.

Sometimes it takes a minute, especially at that position.

Matt Ryan has spoiled you.

And as far as Ryan Leaf? Russell has been far better and is well liked by his teammates, as opposed to Leaf who was just a jackass.

• ottocrat

God, that sucked yesterday. All of you who didn’t see it were the lucky ones. It was garbage, and I couldn’t boo loud enough. This team, this organization, is a joke. Oh well, at least I got a nice tan.

• LA to TheBay

I know you’re all upset, I am too.

Asking you to be patient is ridiculous, I know.

But be patient.

• DKnight007

LA to TheBay Says:
    September 28th, 2009 at 1:03 pm
    I know you’re all upset, I am too.

Asking you to be patient is ridiculous, I know.

But be patient.

^^^^^^^Be patient for what?

The same pathetic game planning and strategy, along with UNCREATIVE schemes and play calling??

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Liked to have heard the halftime phone call to Cable from Al Davis. Does anyone have the transcript. Dakota, do you have the link?

• Raider-405

John Herrera sucks!!

Gannon didnt make it to Oakland even after all that ballyhoo from last week:

“That was a win-win situation for us,” said Raiders executive John Herrera,

• JB

It would be nice if JaBeefRoll was our only problem. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Here’s my list of problem areas not necessarily in order of importance:

• Inadequate talent level at: QB, C, RG, RT, WR, DT, DT, MLB, SSLB, FS
    • Inadequate talent level at HC, OC, DC
    • Operations over-involvement by ownership
    • Totally inadequate talent level in the scouting department

This is a formula for failure. We continue to prove this point year after year. 1070/80 football schemes will no longer work in today’s game. The athletes are now much bigger, faster and better trained. With rare exception, yesterday’s stars would not be successful in today’s game. HOF OT Art Shell, in his prime, would not make the starting line-up on most teams today. He would be classified as too small and too slow. About the only position that could play today is the QB & the kickers. The QB’s had a brain and had to call their own plays. They had to be able to think and not just react. The kickers, well they are just kickers.

• raideralex909

ill second u ouitofoakland ill be here waitin for my raiders to come home in la so that just maybe on the move jr slips and falls breaking both legs lol we need a spark plug from that position hes not it he dont care he doesnt know what it is to be a raider all the history of all the players that have come here its pride look in the mirror and be proud you jr you are not a raider you are just another fatbust qb from the south i wanted joe thomas then draft trent edwards not a fat lazy qb who just doesnt care about the raiders or their fans you just like cashin in those checks im tired of lossssssiiiinnnngggg

• DKnight007

The way to show the stubborn old man Al that he needs to RETIRE from running personnel and operational matters is NOT GO TO THE GAMES!!

• wishbone

I was thinking of going to SF and get my hair cut just like pimp daddy JaMonk. Then I just remembered that the zoo is closed on Mondays.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

PFT reports Pennington out for the year. Perfect opportunity to trade J.R. for future considerations.

• TBuckey

it was too hard to watch that game yesterday and to hear that Russel had one passing yard in the second half….that’s just ridiculous.i believe in second chances but he’s had enough of those already I’d rather have Vick at QB at least he has better accuracy and can scramble which would be good with this incosistent line….hope CJ can hold up his own against Andre next week b/c i doubt he’ll do anything against Nnamdi.

• Tatumluvr

Well I flew in from LA this weekend to watch the game..section 232 row 10 seat 9 and that was BRUTAL!! to watch. The defense makes a terrific goaline stand early in the game and we couldn’t move the ball for $hit!..its official, Jarmarcus Russell is garbage! if you can’t read defenses you can’t play the QB position period end of story.