Gannon’s response

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 at 9:28 am in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s how Rich Gannon responded to the Raiders saying he was no longer welcome in Alameda and their unsuccessful attempt to have him removed from the broadcast booth:

“Let me just say this. I tried to take the high road on that situation,” Gannon said on his Sirius Satellite Radio show. “It was unfortunate and it is what it is. I will say this: I really feel like the organization should care less about who is broadcasting the games and more about the product on the field and putting people in the stands. I think that’s the bottom line. I wish, certainly, the Raiders well. But it is frustrating to watch the team right now.”

What a grouch. The guy couldn’t find a single positive thing to say about that 23-3 loss to Denver.

Of course, if Gannon and CBS wish to avoid the whole situation in the future, they’ll make sure he doesn’t do any more Raiders games.

The fact that Gannon couldn’t catch a flight and missed the production meeting Saturday is a hint maybe the Raiders are getting their way on this through John Herrera’s public appeal. When has Gannon ever been late for anything?

• JB

Of course this suggestion will never come to maturity but now is the time to decide what type of O-Line we really want to operate with – Power or ZBS. We currently have 2 players that could go either way and are worth hanging onto. They are Super Mario & Robert Gallery. We need to replace 60% of our current starters. Supposedly, ZBS is suppose the better choice for a running game. The power line is just good for beating the hell out of the other guy. I prefer a power line. If you look back to the SB years, we were always successful when we had a mean power blocking O-line. Let’s hope we get back there one of these days.

• 860Todd Christensen

JB, look at NFL history, it will answer your Q. To establish the passing game, you have to establish the running game. Period. Whether ZB, or otherwise, PROTECT QB, OPEN HOLES, the scheme doesn’t change. Why complicate an easy scheme, you need capable, smash-mouth, punishing, lineman. QUOTE FROM: “RAIDERS 101 FOOTBALL” 1962. All rights preserved.

• 860Todd Christensen

Alisgod, Al did give us a good nucleous for a good team, but hoped for what we have, to be a good O-line, to the coaches, unfortunately, they failed. Now we are stuck. Any Suggestions?

• alisgod

vegas raider Says:
    September 29th, 2009 at 7:25 pm
    What about Michael Oher?? Read in SI, that after two games some opposing coaches and players are saying he may be a Pro Bowler THIS YEAR, and if Sanchez falters, he will win offensive rookie of the year.

Why couldn’t Al reach for this kid instead of Darius Handsof-Clay?
    —————–

V,
    Have you read the book on him. It’s fantastic and I was hoping Al would draft him. What a shame.

• The Judge

So, I wonder if Al would consider bringing Gruden back and I wonder if Gruden would accept

Also, just my opinion, at first, all of the Jawalrus, Jameatball, Jasuckage comments were funny but now I just think it is old.

• alisgod

860,

I know I am in the minority here but I am still on the Cable wagon since last year and so long as Al is around only Cable can make it work. No other coaches can make it work with Al around. Al’s best is also his worst.

We have a good D this year. They will have their ups and down but we are going to be fine on that side of the ball. We dont have our best WR on the team nor our best lineman. People want to win now but this schytt takes time. Most of us would be happy at 8-8 or 9-7 and so then we all should be patient with some losses. It’s been a long 6 years but Cable is the best we’ve got in a long time. Cable has to make changes to his gameplan and i hate to say it but be more like Singletary and just run run run. Cable cannot allow the O to lose the game for them.

• Dude

Alisgod,

Good D?? Based on what??

Cable is the best in years? Based on what?

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Alisgod,

The Denver game was an unacceptable standard of football. This team should rarely get blown out and certainly not at home vs a team that had a more turbulent offseason than the Raiders.

This team is now, yet again, in a must win situation this weekend. And Schilens better play. This team goes 1-3 with another face plant….with the Giants, Eagles and Jets coming up next!

3-13 and another Coach & QB search!

That would pretty much be a wrap for the Raiders for another 3 to 5 years.

The critics didn’t get its azz whupped. The media didn’t get its azz whupped! The players and coaches got their collective azz whupped because the bastards can’t call a decent play, throw a freekn pass or hold on to the damn ball.

You guys are quick to tell the fans to grin and bear this sh….. Its time for the players and coaches to play to their $@@4 damned POTENTIAL!

• jhill

LOL at Turdell controlling the the Raider perception. How ironic is that?!?!? If that guy lasts the season with NE, that speaks volumes!

Then again, Walter, Jordan, and Burgess didn’t really work out for them. Neither did Doug Gabriel. So no reason to think that Sands will do anything just because Moss had one good year.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Alisgod,

I am cool with spirited efforts like the San Diego game. But to go out unprepared and put up these atrocious statistics on offense and defense. I am really sick and tired of this man.

I just want to see the damn light at the end of the tunnel with this stuff. You know, like the 49ers and Jets right now. They see the light because unlike our beloved Raiders, their players actually play hard every snap AND ARE PREPARED TO PLAY.

Meanwhile, we have to listen to this so-called coach explain this B.S away.

That game last week was disgusting! And they deserved to be booed and everything else.

My patience (not worth anything I know) is wearing thin with this franchise. Its not much fun to even watch the games when they start so poorly and then continue that crap to the whistle.

I am not asking for wins at this point. I just want an honest effort and some evidence that this B.S is clearing up and getting better!

We aren’t talking a year or two or three SIX G-DAMMED YEARS OF THIS SH….AND QUICKLY GOING ON SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Alisgod,

I hear what you are saying. But the Raiders have good player too! The two best shut-down man2man corners in the game. A strong safety that can hit and cover and has speed, the fastest WLB in the league, Richard Seymour and Greg Ellis.

That defense should boss up on just about everyone they play. THe Raiders have WAAAAY more defensive talent than Denver. The coaches got out hustled and did not prepare the team.

On offense. The Quarterback played at a good standard the last half of last year. If we got his play from the last few games…the Raiders are 3-0…WTF Happened?

McFadden is spiraling down hill and the offense looks inept. Murphy is calling out DHB on the sidelines.

AlisGod, WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING IN PRACTICE?

I love the Raiders! I really do! But this team is too far along to be pulling this B.S week after week.

THey should be coming out on fire.

Now they are once again fighting for their collective lives way too early in the season!

Alisgod, all I am saying is that this improvement and optimism has to start manifesting itself on the field. Not at press conferences and blog sites!

• jhill

The problem with those option route is something SnB and I talked about all summer. Will we see a true dime defense match up to the 4 WR set, or would we still see Morrison AND Howard on the field.

The adjustment would have simply been to put the nickel package in when they go to 3 WRs, and the dime when they go to 4 WRs. The fact that LB kept getting matched up with LBs was comical!

• alisgod

Dude or Mr. or Mrs Brown, whatever you are…you’re just a jerk on here looking for attention. I aint wasting my time with you. You’re the same dumba$$ that thought Mitchell couldnt play…nuff said

SNB, I think a lot of us underestimated Denver. Here 2 things Denver has going for them.

1. They have a fantastic D. You can’t ignore that. Dawkins is a huge diff maker for them. Even Chump Bailey acknowledged as much. You think the Eagles could use him now. Moreover Nolan is like Turner, they suck at being the HC but they are fantastic Coordinators. It’s not a coincidence they shut down the Bengals even though they got lucky.

2. The raiders play a game straight up Al Davis my man is better than your man football. We used to not have the manpower for that but I do believe we do now. We have the best tandem starting corners in the league and a decent front line. I guarantee you that once they put Mitchell in there consistently he is going to be a playmaker for us. When was the last time you saw the Raiders D stood their ground on goal lines? However, that Al Davis scheme gets worked over when it runs into teams that scheme and dink and dunk you to death. McDaniel is a huge dink and dunk schemer and he made us pay.

Cable talked about big plays we gave up but I look at the option route the Denver receivers were running. Basically Gaffney were running the same Wes Welker routes that we never made adjustments to. That same play killed us over and over again. Gannon was pointing that out consistently.

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

did you guys see late in the game when JaPoatroast took off running he could of slid but he hit the denver db hard shoulder to shoulder when he got up you could see in his eyes how pissed he was.

thats why i think he is a bust he isn’t trying to blow it and he’s getting pissed at failing he just dosent have it.

mike mitchell looked pretty good but imho we could of drafted some other position than safety but huff was looking like a bust so that was big al’s call.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Just got word that the Raiders have brought back #22 Justin Miller and he will be returning kickoffs on Sunday.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

McFadden has no excuses.

1 fumble…ok….THREE! Like BSPN says “CMON MAN!”

McFadden is underperforming. He isn’t the playmaker he’s supposed to be. He isn’t the guy that teams game plan against.

Personally, I would give Bush 70% of the carries and let McFadden chew on that for a minute.

What good is a running back that is averaging over 1 fumble a game.

You can’t have that! Rookie, 2nd year or veteran.

I need yards from this guy. Not promises!

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

“dmac is not a bust he just needs a bettero-line and scheme and dhb is to early to tell”

It’s not the oline’s fault that McFumble can’t hold on to the ball. And he DOESN’T look pissed when he fux up, he just gets up and smiles…

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

this just in from twitter are season is saved lmfao

Mr53 Raider Nation let’s welcome back #22 Justin Miller. He’ll be returning KickOff’s for us this week
    13 minutes ago from UberTwitter

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

post #466 is on point

• jhill

That’s a huge plus to get Miller back!

Losing him on top of Schillens was a big blow. I always thought that Schillens, Miller, and Murphy looked like the best WRs of the bunch. The perfect guys to take advantage of, eh hmmm, DHB clearing out the safeties.

It’s going to be really interesting to see if Cable can shake himself and get back to the methodical drives his Oline guts is telling him to get back to instead of this deep quick strike madness.

• alisgod

SNB,

If we didnt have effort, we would nver held those 2 goal line stands. I remember last year there was a goal line stand that our DT’s ended up in our own endzone and one person on here commented that “that play was feminine”. It was a sad but hilarioius comment.

I blame this last game on Cable and Marshall. They didnt call a good game either way. I was patient last year and it paid off with the wins over Houston and Tampa. I like Cable. He is straight up (as much as he can be) in the presser. Plus only he can work with a living Al Davis.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Alisgod,

I am not about dishing out blame or giving individual praise. I don’t care who coaches or whatever. I want effort! I want a team that looks like it prepared to play. THEY QUIT LAST WEEK!

This team has to start playing like a team. I need more San Diego like efforts. The players that are expected to perform need to perform.

No more stupid passes into the night. No more multiple fumbles, and getting gashed for double digit yards on defense and having linebackers covering the #1 receiver.

Its time for this outfit to buck up. “They are too old for this sh…”

The Raiders are playing like you would expect a team like the Rams or Lions to play. What good are individual victories when you generate 1 passing yard in the 2nd half and 3 fumbles with over 200 rushing yards allowed.

You can’t do that! I am pissed and tired of this stuff man. Like I said, I am not looking for a bunch of wins…I want effort.

Look at the 49ers and Jets….That’s what I am talking about!

Why on god’s green earth can’t we have that for once.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Jhill

it’s Justin Miller the db not Nick Miller the wr.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

jhill Says:
    September 29th, 2009 at 8:47 pm
    Please tell me there is a silver lining Dogg!

Did we cut Routt to make room for Miller?”

No word yet, although my gut is telling me that Jonathan Holland got the axe.

• Dude

Patience paid off in 2 wins??LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

• jhill

I don’t buy this can’t work with Al business. What is Al going to do, fire a coach who doesn’t run his playbook? I don’t think that the he could claim “cause” in that case.

If Al didn’t fire Kiffin, he won’t fire a coach for running his own system.

NOT buying that!

• Dude

Come on Alisgod, lets hear how you figure the D is good. Dont be a coward.

• jhill

RaiderDogg Says:
    September 29th, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Jhill

it’s Justin Miller the db not Nick Miller the wr.

—————————————————-

Awwwww Damnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jhill

Please tell me there is a silver lining Dogg!

Did we cut Routt to make room for Miller?

• SnB offense defense specialteams

They need to beat Houston straight up.

Where’s Tommy Kelly? He’s supposed to be a beast up the middle. He is one of the top paid DTs in the NFL. He should be all up in that backfield…stuffing the run and just creating havoc. So should his boy Warren! Again, Step UP!

And where are the linebackers? Marshall was supposed to bring his experience with those LBs in Seattle….once again our linebackers look pedestrian.

Only 5 guys on defense are bossing up and playing ball:
    Ellis, Asomugha, Johnson, Branch and yes….Michael Huff.

The rest of them are just pulling the same ole b.s from the last 6yrs.

MAke an adjustment, study the film and earn your paycheck

• Dude

Denver= over 200 yards rushing
    KC= 175 yards rush and over 400 total offense

Yep, that a good D. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

As for Russell and the offense. Freekn figure it out.

That’s what I’ve told some of my employees…especially younger ones when faced with a tough situation. Sometimes you just have to buck up and figure it out.

Start throwing timing routes into the night….start studying the damn film together….do whatever it takes to stop embarrassing your collective selves.

Of course, Tom Cable should be telling them this.

I bet Louis Murphy is the right guy. He was a captain on a team with Tim Tebow and all that. He jumped all over DHB on that INT because DHB’s overpaid self probably screwed it up.

Murphy trying to get that paycheck and earn himself a position. I will BET you Murphy is studying his azz off. He also went to the Russell passing camp without a signed contract.

Step the F up Raiders!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

jhill Says:
    September 29th, 2009 at 8:46 pm
    =======================================================
    JHill,

Something is wrong. Every time Davis goes to interview coaches…who is on the interview list?

Davis has to hire coaches that conceptually agree with what Davis likes AND are competent.

Then let the coaches do their thing without any input. Let them design a 21st century scheme that still honors some of the tenets that Davis clings too.

That’s what I would do

• ragin

Holland and rankin are not kick returners

• Dude

Alisgod,

Are you a coward who cant answer for your rediculous comments?

• Dude

Denver= over 200 rush yards
    KC=175 rush over 400 total

Good D??

• alisgod

SNB,

surely you and I can agree that football is a game of momentum. I thought that Cable has done a poor job of managing that on Sunday.

The Niners and Jets are winning because they play to their strength and dont allow their weakness to lose the game for them. Everyone is raving about Sanchez but everytime I look at his stats I see nothing. The niners ran for 29 yards against the Cards but they never wavered on that and still pounded the rock. Both of these teams do not put the QB in situations where he can lose the game for them.

I hope Cable has learned this. I hope he doesnt put the offense in positions to have turnovers. Ray Lewis told Billick to not lose the game for them in their SB season and it paid off. All Dilfer did was managed the ball. Look at Orton, all he did was not lose the game for them.

• VanHeathen

Anyone who thinks that LA wants ANYTHING to do with the Raiders is crazy.
    When a team gets into that market it will have to have had much recent sucess and unfortunately we don’t qualify.

• raiderkoolaid

If Russel was just making bad reads and throwing the ball into coverage that would be easy to understand. What is tough to understand is when he spots an open receiver and can’t hit him. This can’t be simply because “Russel sucks” because if he was that inaccurate of a passer he wouldn’t have been on anybody’s draft board in any round, and you know if The Raiders hadn’t picked him someone else would have in the next few picks. He threw the ball accurately in the last three games last year and also was very good at Denver last year, so I know he is capable of throwing accurate passes, so I hope he snaps out of this soon. I wonder though how long The Raiders will stick with him if he doesn’t come out of it.

Just as troublesome to me about the last game as the offense’s problems was the way the defense consistently aloud Denver to run for 5+ yards on first down. I really didn’t expect that out of this defense after the way they played against SD. If that doesn’t improve it will be a long season.

• jhill

——————————————————-

Guys who he doesn’t have to pay big $ to get. That’s the part that Al doesn’t get. You can’t just bring in anyone to coach the team beacause “your players are so great.” Al’s philosophy has always been my guys are better than yours so the coaches should be an after thought. If Al is going to stick with Cable, he’s going to need a lot more guys like Nnamdi and Seymour in the locker room, and like yesterday!

• alisgod

Hi Dude,

I am so sorry. You are right I am a coward who prefers not to talk tough behind a screen name on the internet.

Being you such a tough guy and all. I did a lil google and found the following comments from you that I thought was really interesting..How about putting your money where your stupid mouth is tough guy. Fargas is healthy now and he is 3rd on the depth chart. Based on your comments, you should leave this site forever, if you are man enuff…that’s another story I am sure.
    —————————-

Dude Says:
    September 4th, 2009 at 1:59 pm
    Has Bush EVER even ran for 500 yards in a season?
    How many DNPs did a perfectly healthy Bush have last year?

Bush has never done a thing in this league. Untill he does Fargas is the better back. Period. End.

Fargas will start unless his hamstring precludes it.

How would we even go about betting? Whoever loses never comes on the blog again.
    ————————

• armond

people need to realize that we had a bad game and hope the team is embarassed enuff to play angry. they played with a purpose against sd and thats why they shouldve couldve won that game. lets give this young inexperienced team a chance to bounce back for a few weeks before quitting.

• alisgod

Dude Says:
    September 18th, 2009 at 11:47 am
    Alisgod,

What makes you say Mitchell is gonna be a good player?
    ————————

What caused you to ask such a dumb question?

• armond

talk of dmc and heybey being busts is stupid. snb u are really sounding like a clown now with the trade cut dmc business. several teams will gladly pickup dmc if that were to happen. and quit acting like murphy is so great. dude has already chalked up about 4 or 5 penalties as a wr along with a few drops. dhb has been open several times but russell cant connect with him. hell dhb was streakin down the sideline for a td right before halftime and jmac didnt look his way.

• alisgod

Dude,

Surely you can read but obviously you can’t man up to say you were so wrong can’t you. I thought you said Fargas would start if his Hammy is good and that you’d be willing to leave the site if you were wrong…

Are you MAN ENOUGH TOUGH GUY BEHIND THE INTERNET?

• Dude

LOL @ Alisgod. And….. Anything I say not true??

Is that REALLY all you got???

Notice you didnt want to respond to my DEFENSE question.

• armond

saying al doesnt believe in drafting for the lines is also stupid. didnt we take gallery and grove in back 2 back rounds? u ever think maybe he hasnt drafted for the lines alot early is because he was told by CABLE AND KIFFEN that there was good enuff talent here already? he does allow his coaches to have more say than u give him credit for. next year ill be surprised if we dont address that in FA and the draft.

• ritaskid

First of all, Gannon was absolutely correct in every word of his assessment of the Raiders, especially the part about the team being “hard to watch”. However, I would like to add that the teams’ troubles currently lie with the quarterback position. I have watched every game of Russell’s career so far and to this point, I don’t see any progress. He holds the ball too long and stares down his receivers. For all of you that say “sophomore jinx”, I say this: this is his 3rd year and 2nd training camp. The fact of the matter is, JaMarcus Russell is not an NFL quarterback. We need to accept the fact that we wasted that pick and move on. Right here, right now. We need to get behind Bruce Almighty (Gradkowski, that is). He was overlooked at Toledo, but he is a general and a warrior and can move the chains most importantly. I challenge anyone in this chat room to find me a top tier NFL quarterback with a rating of 39.8 at any point in their career. As a matter of fact, show me a 2nd tier QB with worse numbers…….and this is his 3RD YEAR!!!!!! AND HAD THE AUDACITY TO HOLD OUT!!!

• Dude

I notice you convienently didnt include the fact that all those comments were made about game 1 vs SD but hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good story right?? What a tool.

• ritaskid

@ Armond……give me a break!!! I’m as die-hard as they come and I’m freaking tired of saying “wait til next year” and further more I’m tired of making false predictions about “next year”!!!! I’m chanting, “Bruce….Bruce….Bruce!!!!! We can still win this year with the defense we have. Cable need to grow a pair this week and sit Russell’s ass down!!!