Are the Raiders hurting enough?

How much do the Raiders really care?

It’s a fair question in the wake of three consecutive losses by a combined score of 96-16, and a subject which was broached by Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce Tuesday in a Sirius Satellite Radio interview.

When the Raiders lost 24-20 in the season opener against San Diego, Cable said he was pleased that his team appeared be anguished about the defeat, and that such emotional pain in the wake of a loss is something that had been missing from the team’s chemistry since he arrived.

And here comes Pierce, saying the Raiders competed as if it were a scrimmage, without the kind of fire and emotion the NFL uses to sell itself to the masses.

The depth to which the Raiders care about their performance was apparently a topic of discussion in a lengthy post-practice meeting. When asked about what had transpired during the 10 to 15 minutes the team was gathered on a far field, away from the media, Cable at first said they were enjoying a laugh.

Later, he allowed that how they have reacted what has transpired in losses over the last three games was also on the table.

“That’s pretty much what we were talking about out there, talking through that,” Cable said.

Game circumstances in blowout losses account for a big part of the difference. There’s an inevitability that goes along with a large fourth-quarter deficit that lessens the shock value.

“We were three-and-out so quick, have the turnover and you’re down 28-0, so it’s not a great position to be in,” tight end Zach Miller said. “We didn’t play well, so it’s no wonder he said something like that.

“It definitely didn’t feel like a scrimmage. Guys can say what they want. We didn’t play well enough as an offense, so can’t say anything back if you didn’t have any production.”

Rookie wide receiver Louis Murphy admits he is struggling to adapt to a new culture after a playing on a national championship team at Florida.

“We just have to step up and play. I’m new to this aspect of football. (In) school, you lose, it’s the end of the world and you try to get it done. Here you have more room for losses. We just have to get on the ball of things and be more particular and detailed in what we’re doing.

“It’s kind of a snowball effect and it’s gotten bigger and it’s just rolling downhill.”

Defensive tackle Gerard Warren having defeat as a conditioned reflex cannot be accepted.

“Well, if I can identify any player on this team that can accept losing, then that’s something I think I have to take to Mr. Davis and Coach Cable,” Warren said. “We don’t accept losing. No matter what the outcome of the game is, we want to be victorious, no matter how long it takes to get the victory. And if a guy can walk in and say, ‘Man, I gave my all, but we lost,’ we don’t need you in this locker room. Cause we’re here to win.”

Defensive end Richard Seymour, coming from a New England team with a history of success, was uninterested in dwelling on the pain of the losses.

“I think as a professional you have to be able to, whether a good play happened or a bad play, you have to move on to the next,” Seymour said. “We can’t move forward looking to our rearview mirror. I think that’s going to help us being able to put things behind us and move forward.

More news, notes and quotes:

— Tackle Langston Walker, cut by Buffalo two seasons into a five-year contract that guaranteed him $10 million, re-signed with the Raiders and was on the practice field Wednesday. Walker had 32 of his 65 career starts the last two seasons for the Bills, but was cut Sept. 8.

“I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that I saw it coming,” Walker said. “But you know, they made their decision, and Oakland has me back.”

Walker tried out for the Raiders last week, after which Cable said they were just taking a look and indicated conditioning was an issue and said, “We’ll just wait and see down the road.”

The road arrived quicker than expected in part because of the play of right tackle Erik Pears, who has four false starts.

The Raiders made no attempt to bring Walker back in part because they were implementing a zone blocking scheme which puts a premium on movement and athletic skill.

“It’s slightly different, but I think I can do it. I’m athletic enough,” Walker said. “I guess if I couldn’t they wouldn’t bring me in.”

Cable said Walker is in good shape. His weight is down from (gulp) 380 pounds to 362, still bigger than your average zone blocker.

“He’s quick off the snap,” Cable said. “Let’s see how he does it as hegets into it and gets familiar with it.

Walker said getting up to speed with the new system is more of an obstacle than being physically ready to play.

“I think it’s more about learning the playbook,” Walker said. “That’s the biggest issue standing in front of me. Different words and signals and nomenclature, and different quarterback.”

Walker has retained his very dry sense of humor.

“I did enjoy Niagara Falls and Canada, the East Coast life. Lake Erie is somewhat like the bay a little bit, when you factor in the fact that there’s water,” Walker said.

— Chaz Schilens was limited in practice but encouraged Cable with what he was able to accomplish. If Schilens can practice a second straight day, chances appear good he could have a role against Philadelphia.

“He looked good in what he did so we’ll see tomorrow,” Cable said.

— Robert Gallery was listed as questionable but did not practice. Greg Ellis missed practice with a sore knee that was precautionary.

— With Luke Lawton out and Oren O’Neal waived, Gary Russell and tight end Brandon Myers saw time at fullback. It didn’t sound as if promoting Marcel Reece from the practice squad is an option.

— Cable welcomed any input an influential veteran such as Donovan McNabb would have speaking with Russell.

“I think, especially at that position, it’s always good to seek out those guys who have been through those same issues, as well as listen to ’em when they seek you out,” Cable said. “So I don’t think something like that can do anything but be a positive.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• BAG

If Big AL decides to move the team he will. There are several cities that would welcome a pro-football team no matter the teams win/loss record. Did the Cleveland fans complain when the sorry Baltimore Colts snuck into town in the middle of the night. No indeed. The Cleveland Colts/Browns have one of the most loyal fan bases in pro-football and their team has never won a thing. Money talks. Fans whine and complain.

• Scottish Raider

KoolKell, Davis is 80 – even if he lives for another twenty years, he is not going to be much of a factor in any long-term business decision to get the Raiders to LA. The LA investors will be looking at a ten year plus return – could they tolerate five more years of Al, yes they could, because Mark Davis is supposed to love money more than football. The LA investors will be gambling that Al will not be a factor in 3 to 5 years.

Again, all logic suggests the Raiders should go back to LA.

• raiderkoolaid

It would at least be something tolerable if the defense got pissed about being embarrassed and came out and played with a chip on their shoulders and knock the snot out of people whether they were going to win the game or not. If they did that it could change the entire momentum and possibly even the outcome.

• Brien the General 510

Yeah Old man Keller you are right about that.Al is the coldest MFker going a lot dont want to deal with him. Newsflash?

• Scottish Raider

Brien, I don’t disagree with your reasoning except that the Raiders will be easier and cheaper to relocate than the Vikings, Rams or Jags. And the Raider brand is potentially much more valuable in the LA market than any of the other candidates.

Money will talk. The Raiders are in play.

• Brien the General 510

# Scottish Raider Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:37 am

If Al is influenced by money, the move back to LA is a no-brainer. Bigger Market. Bigger Stadium. Bigger revenue-generating opportunities. Bigger media profile. Staying in a crumbling stadium in a economically struggling city in a limited market area makes no financial sense. Cold hard logic says the Raiders should move back to LA at the first realistic opportunity.

Emotionally, I do think the Raiders should stay in their home community. The Raider should remain loyal to their home fans and season ticket holders. The Raiders have responsibilities in the Bay Area. But, when have loyalty and responsibility meant anything to Allen Davis?
    ***********************

No cold hard logic is LA needs its own thing period. You talk about blackouts in Oakland……….LA would be worse. LA is an image and fad. If its the hottest ticket in town LA will come out. Notice what Eric Dickerson said about LA? Doesnt he work in LA with Jim Hill every weekend? LOL a player with both teams that jetted from LA dogs yall. The proof is obvious

• 4evaRaider

4evaRaider Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:37 am
    Resident moron? Then what will you call the other posters on here because I’m way above them.
    ****************************************************

Yeah what cha gonna call us ??? lol

• raiderkoolaid

They say you can never go home again. The Raiders in Oakland the first time around had something special going for it. A blue collar team with an us against the world attitude. It never was the same the second time around.

• 4evaRaider

Well why dont whiner fans just leave that much earlier so they can be there in time 4 kick-off.You would think after selling-out 300 games in a row,they would have figured this one out =)

• Any City interested in acquiring a Professional Football Team certainly wouldn’t be interested in the Raiders, by definition.

• LA to TheBay

Brien,

When did you jump on the bandwagon?

The Raiders were in LA when you came of age, I’m sure.

Maybe the Raiders din’t “belong” in LA, but that’s where they ended up and built a fan base. Of course there are a bunch of fans of other teams. Its a much larger city.

LA is many things, but primarily a Laker town. Football just isn’t the top sport.

Oakland has a fraction of the population. Even if you toss in the East Bay and half of San Jose, you’re not even close to the same amount of people, and those people grew up knowing nothing but the Oakland Raiders.

The Raider fans who stayed Raider fans in LA and all over the Southland and Central CA are as loyal as those in Oakland or anywhere else.

Bandwagon is bandwagon. Those who came of age watching the LA Raiders stuck with them. Those who didn’t? Didn’t miss them much when they left.

• 4evaRaider

4evaRaider Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:46 am

• You guys watching the 6yr old kid caught in an expermental balloon flying over Colorado?

Unbelievable!!!!

• DMAC

Did we cut that clown Routt yet??????Where’s Bowie when you need nim????????

• DMAC

Jon Kitna? Rex Grossman? Anyone????????????

• Richochet

Scottish Raider Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:37 am

———————
    Scottish? You dinna kin a bloody word I said, did you?

It has nothing to do with where Al would like to go.
    And HELL NO, there are NOT a lot of places that want an Al Davis coming in. An NFL team? Sure..one they KNOW will be “theirs”..where the council knows it’s a good investment..where the fans KNOW the teams is “theirs”.

With Al? he’s ALWAYS threatening to leave. He sabotaged ticket sales year after year after year by announcing to one and all, right around July that ‘I still retain the rights to LA and can go back whenever I want’ until the NFL said ‘wrong, Old Man”

Zero chance of any city taking the Raiders as long as Al Davis is in charge.
    After he dies? I’m sure some will..but no one wants to deal with the snake.

• 4evaRaider

ummm… I was being facetious there,Ric

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

DMAC Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:59 am
    Jon Kitna? Rex Grossman? Anyone????????????

=======================

michael vick !!!!!!!!! he’ll be in town sunday he should stay send somebody in his chair on the plane back to philly hell anyone who cares.

• Brien the General 510

# LA to TheBay Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:52 am

Brien,

When did you jump on the bandwagon?

The Raiders were in LA when you came of age, I’m sure.

***************************************

I never was on the bandwagon lackey. I didnt choose my team just like I didnt choose how I look. Out of the hospital when I was born it was Raiders. Grandfather,grandmother,father and uncles at first game at Kezar and everyone since. LA people just as loyal lolololololololololololololol. Remember that 5,000 people deep save the Raiders rally in 1995? Sure. People in central cali love the Raiders and ask them they will show they are an Oakland thing and they cant compare to the east bay base because its the truest base you can have

• OAKlifer

MY favorite BEECH!!!!

Whats up man??

• Hey Bo!

Gooooo Hawkeyes!

• Dakota Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 12:12 pm
    Hey Bo!

Gooooo Hawkeyes!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So now your favorite team is whoever is playing Michigan? Flattery hidden as spite? No prob.

• KoolKell Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 11:54 am

Unbelievable!!!!
    ___________________________

Yikes, this won’t end well.

• 4evaRaider

Wow…

That was CLASSIC TIMING Beeecham!!! LMAO

• LA to TheBay

“I never was on the bandwagon lackey. I didnt choose my team just like I didnt choose how I look. Out of the hospital when I was born it was Raiders. Grandfather,grandmother,father and uncles at first game at Kezar and everyone since. LA people just as loyal….”

Ok, enough with the Raider from the womb stuff. That’s ridiculous. If you are under 30, you grew up diggin the LA Raiders. If not, you got into them when they came back to Oakland.

Did you not support them during their stay in LA? Doesn’t sound like there’s Silver & Black in your blood.

My point is that when a lot of us grew up, we grew up watching the Raiders kick a lot of ass in LA. Then tailed off, kicked a bit more, than stunk it up.

Besides, I have met a lot of loyal Raider fans who have never been within 2000 miles of Oakland or LA.

And the Central CA Raider fans will tell you it’s a Cali thing, not neccecarily an Oakland thing. Otherwise they wouldn’t give a sh:t.

• Bo,

My Dad is from Iowa…he loves his Hawkeyes. I got to watch them beat Michigan on tv on Saturday while I was stuck in a hotel room in Cheyenne on the way to the Broncos game.

Made my day!

Anytime Michigan, USC or Nebraska loses is a great day!

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

from jerry’s twitter

Jerrymcd Raiders DE Greg Ellis thinks things can change but concedes, “ Right now, we’re kind of the laughingstock of the NFL.”

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 12:22 pm
    from jerry’s twitter

• 4evaRaider

Gawd I’m still laughing!!!

No offence Brien my Brother but that was funny!!!

Man I wish this damn computer had audio so we ALL could hear evybody

• raiderjhawk

Why isn’t anyone doing anything like this for the Raiders?

Anyone know anything about setting up a website, I’ll donate some cash for this cause!!! Hit me up and let’s get this ball rolling in the right direction.

• Brien the General 510

Wait wait, the 49er fans do? Explain to me why they didnt start coming until after they won a super bowl?

Oh spare me your BS because old white 49er women are the truest 49er fans out there. Most knowledgeable people you will find at the Stick are those old ass ladies. They have been there win or lose for many years.

Yes the 49er fans overall are bandwagon and 49er fans have been on the radio admitting this many times. You are just in denial and will continue to lie about this.

The stands have many empty seats period throughout the game. You are making excuses and are lying about that sorry lifeless crowd.

AS for Joe Thomas you idiot he was suggested by Al Davis and if you want to keep denying this then you are no better than the idiots who say Oswald was the shooter.

• 4evaRaider

The NFL dosent care if you rent all the billboards in the world.Look there are Big Winners in the NFL soooo….that means there are Big Losers ALSO…

The NFL understands this…

The NFL’s answer to this is SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM

• Brien The General 510 Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 12:27 pm

———————–
    Who cares little boy? What does that have to do with Davis destroying the Raiders?

• 4evaRaider

As a matter of fact Brien no…No I have never heard Beeecham talk Raider.Maybe B4 he was Beeecham

• 4evaRaider

4evaRaider Says:
    October 15th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

• One other thing Dakota. When I became a man, I put away childish things LIKE ROOTING FOR MY DAD’S SPORTS TEAMS. Nothing is sweeter than seeing the old man eat his liver when the Celtics or Dodgers get crushed.

I became an Oakland A’s fan when they destroyed the Dodgers in the 1974 world series. It was so thoroughly sastifying I became a fan of every Oakland team. Good thing the Warriors are from “Golden State”.

• Down with the Dodgers…I’ll agree to that.

• Jeezus Christ, Poor Kid. Anybody watching the news?

• zod510

Raider Nation, we need to do this and beg Al to step down: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10219740/Bills-fans-rent-billboard-to-rip-team

Who’s with me?

• jammer75

Seems like Russell has better success throwing the ball to Zach Miller. Has anyone noticed how well the other tight end Brandon Myers looked during preseason? Since the receivers are not catching the ball or Russell has tremendous trouble seeing them; for the life of me, why doesn’t Cable ever thing about sending out both Zach Miller and Brandon Myers out together to see if that will help to get some offense together, let Russell see two tight ends at once instead of just one and see if this works out. However this idea may be beyond the brain scope of Cable and company.