Still wait and see on Cable-Hanson

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, October 16th, 2009 at 11:31 am in Oakland Raiders.

I’ve stayed out of formulating opinions regarding the alleged altercation (we still have to call it alleged, don’t we?) between Tom Cable and Randy Hanson for the simple reason that I really don’t know what happened in that room.

My stance hasn’t changed since Aug. 22 _ that the Cable and the Raiders made some obvious errors in the handling of a crisis but that convicting him in the court of public opinion was premature until the facts were in.

So I’ve passed along the various reports, many of which implicate Cable and seem to originate from Hanson and his attorney, as well as the latest which hint maybe no charges will be filed at all. On the heels of Profootballtalk.com’s report Thursday comes another Yahoo! Sports report (with unnamed sources, of course) saying the case may be flimsy.

A couple of things worth addressing in the latest report:

– Hanson’s attorney, John McGuinn, said he thought the city of Napa and district attorneys office was dragging its feet because they didn’t want to lose the Raiders business.

Really?

Napa is an international vacation destination in the heart of the wine country. Virtually any day I’ve spent at training camp at the Napa Marriott would include overhearing people speaking foreign languages heading out the door to various wineries and tours.

They don’t know who the Raiders are and don’t care.

The next banner I see which says, “Napa: Training camp home of the Raiders” will be the first.

Other than upkeep of the field at Redwood Middle School, it’s not like Napa is making anything off the Raiders presence. There is no benefit golf tournament, no public appearances. It’s not the old days when the Raiders were out filling restaurants and bars on a nightly basis. They’re pretty much sequestered in the hotel, and it’s a typically private Raiders operation.

There was a time a few years back when a Napa Marriott employee told me they’d be just fine if the Raiders ended their agreement. The hotel was filling up to capacity anyway, and they were charging more per room for guests than the deal negotiated by the club.

Admittedly, that may not be true now, given the economy, but the only business which would be hurt by the Raiders leaving would be the hotel. It’s not as if there would be a city-wide effect from the departure of a fairly invisible tentant for one month a year.

There is no leverage there.

– Having Bill Romanowski hint that Hanson has a drug problem on KNBR’s Murph and Mac show was both reckless and comical at the same time.

Think about it for a minute. Romanowski, the guy who broke the face of Marcus Williams and has admitted to pushing the envelope regarding performance enhancing drugs, giving commentary on an assault investigation and leveling accuasations of drug use.

That’s a pot calling the kettle silver and black.

Friday practice _ no changes

As practice began following warmups and drills Friday, still no sign of Robert Gallery _ he won’t be playing, while Chaz Schilens was on the field for the third straight day.

Cable’s public stance has been that Schilens could play. Schilens himself seemed a bit skeptical Thursday.

Also missing again is Luke Lawton (ankle), the only pure fullback on the roster as the Raiders face the most blitz-heavy team in the NFL.

• Plunketthead

Jhill
    I think Holmgren wants to stay in the bay.
    I just hope theres only one team on his list.
    He may be coaching from his couch.

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

raiderrej Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:23 pm
    Do you think Cable could be a HC anywhere else?

===============

NO WAY!!! HE COULD EVER BE A HEAD COACH ANYWHERE ELSE THIS IS OR SHOULD I SAY WAS HIS ONLY SHOT. AND HE BETTER GET THAT O-LINE PLAYING BETTER OR HE MAY NOT GET ANOTHER O-LINE JOB.

OR MAYBE HE’LL GET A PASS BECAUSE TEAMS WILL JUST EVALUATE HIM BASED ON BEING IN OAKLAND AND ONLY LOOK AT HIS PRE-OAKLAND DAY’S.

• BAG

Sure Cable could and would be a HC on another team. Just look around the league. Jim Zorn was a QB’s coach. Mike Tomlin was a DB coach. The HC for TB was a DB coach. So why would it be difficult to believe that an O-line coach couldn’t get another shot at a HC job?

• http://atm Raider O

What about the 08 draft? Trading for Hall cost us our 2nd RD pick.

Players who went in the 2nd:
    Fraction Jackson.
    E Royal
    MLB Loffton
    Johnson S from the Vikings. He had a great combine.

• DKnight007

Raider75 Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    Hearing rumors that Raiders are interested in acquiring WR Josh Cribbs from Cleveland.

Think the deal might happen? Would it help the Raiders?

^^^^^^In the grand scheme of things…..NO it won’t help….

• DKnight007

ELWAYs TEETH Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    First off, I don’t care if Luke Lawton ever plays another down, All I ever see him do is drop passes and miss blocks. He couldn’t block me and I’m 50 years old.
    Here’s a repost from yesterday, and It’s something I think we really could do:

Getting people to boycott a game is a pipe dream. No matter how bad the product is, those of us that have paid good money for tickets are going to use them. I think a more realistic idea is to boycott the 1st quarter. Show up like normal, enjoy your tailgate party and wait until the end of the first quarter to enter the stadium. Just consider it an “extended tailgate party”. I think the site of an empty stadium for just the 1st quarter, while people continue to party in the parking lot would be awesome. This will get the attention of the media,the network, the league, and maybe even the senile owner of our favorite team.

^^^^^^^There are plenty of fans who are boycotting the Raiders now.

Thats why there are BLACKOUTS and many more to follow!

• Thec07

jhill Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:19 pm
    Washington
    Oakland
    Buffalo
    Jacksonville

MAYBE Dallas.

Those are most likely the only jobs open next year.

Holmgren – Washington

Shanny Rat
    Gruden
    Cowher
    Dungy
    Del Rio

One of these guys is going to have control of next year’s deep ass draft for us. Al has NO other play left. 2 more SBs, huh? Well he better get Gruden or Cowher’s ass out of the studio and back on the sideline!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Throw the chargers in the mix as well. chargers will win 7 at best wont make the plaoffs, norv turner goes back to an OCO.

• DKnight007

snnyjcbs Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:27 pm
    Lets be honest, it was your local media Raider hater Nancy Gay and others that reported all these claims as fact. “the witnesses in the room agreed to Police that what Hanson had told them was fact”. On and on you all went.

When a first year Law student could have figured out if it was all as you people were reporting. That is what they call a slam dunk case and the DA would have made the charges long ago.

Now if the witnesses did not tell the police that it went down like Hanson claimed. And the DA did not have a slam dunk case or maybe even no case at all. It would take the DA some time before they came out with not charging Hanson.

The reason is the way that you all turned this into such a one sided Cable is a Felon type of a story. And every Raider Hater in the media ran with it. They would get down on their knees at night and pray for the day that Cable went down.

So the DA needs to make sure that they cross every T before telling the public that there will be no charges to cover their rumps.

Hansons story went from hands around his neck and having his head pushed into a wall so hard that his jaw was crushed with Cables other hand around his neck yelling I am going to kill you.

To now saying that Cable just put his hand on his shirt oe what ever he is now claiming. He and his lawyer have knew now for awhile that charges were not going to be brought and that is why the pressure using the media over the past few weeks.

The dude should be charged with blackmail. Only after Mr. Davis did not give into his demands was he willing to go after Cable.

You people need to wise up and know if Nancy Gay told you that it was raining out and it involved the Raiders that you should grab the sunscreen. And to think she received all her info from “inside sources”, what a joke.

Last as to Coopers rant with 30 sum year Raider Hater on the other side of the Bay. That is why the Raiders have never been able to play like Raiders.

No matter his talent on special teams the dude is a punk. He is why the Raiders were punked so much on the field, no character or loyalty and no heart. The dude looks to want to sell his soul to be able to try and find new work and make a buck.

You tell Al Davis that along with finding players with talent that he needs to get back to finding them with heart, courage, loyalty as well. The Raiders need to get back to finding street fighters like they use to have not many of the punks that they have collected over the years.

Not all, their are many on the Raiders that can play Raider football, there are just not enough. Dump the punks and boys and start bringing in more men. And tell Cable I have the faith in him that he will do what he said and put together a team that plays like the old Raiders, tough hard hitting football. Win or loose I am cool with that.

Keep playing the punks year after year with what turns the team into a soft football team and I am getting tired. After 30 sum years I can take the not winning, it is not winning with punks that is making me sick.

^^^^^^Now it’s Coopers fault the Raiders are a JOKE??

It’s all starts at the top and guess who is at the top??

A crazy, stubborn, bitter, senile, egotistical old man who doesn’t know when it time for him to QUIT!

• Thec07

Only way you get a “REAL” new coach in oakland if Mr. Davis says I will be hands off, and i will take off all 11 of the organizationa hats that I wear and hire someone for those jobs. Will the Raiders owner who is a ego maniac do it? Not saying Mr. Davis is not sharp or smart, its just that the game is not played in the 70′s….. We are breaking all kind of ineptness records, and it all starts at the top….

• DMAC

Did we cut that clown Routt yet????Where’s Bowie when you need him?

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# Raider75 Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Think the deal might happen? Would it help the Raiders?
    ===================================================

Josh Cribbs value is as a returner, Not a receiver.

• DMAC

Let’s make a move for Jon Kitna NOW!

• DKnight007

ELWAYs TEETH Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 12:59 pm
    DKnight007,

I agree with you that plenty of people are boycotting now, but a couple of hundred people sitting in the stands during the entire first quarter would send a message a lot better than 40,000 people sitting in the stands during the entire game. Just have an extended tailgate party and then come in when the score is 24-0 Eagles.

^^^^^^I see what your saying…..but why would people waste their time, money and energy?

I can just stay at home or go to buddys and BBQ and watch ALL the NFL games on the Sunday Ticket and not worry about giving any of money to Al Davis, when he doesn’t know how to spend it? Plus going to the games has been too depressing for too long…..then the drunk idiots don’t know how to act when the team gets their butts kicked. Bad environment….

That’s like giving your money to a crack head. LOL

• ELWAYs TEETH

DKnight007,

• DMAC

Did you guys see Danny “Hammer Head” Clark still playing last week?

• DMAC

I wouldn’t mind seeing Marty as our new coach, but it will never happen.

• BAG

The Youth Movement has destroyed this team for several years now. Yet those that whined and begged for this are now complaining that we’re not winning. How can we when we don’t have one proven player on offense, not one. There all young and hungry, right. Isn’t that what most here were saying. We need some young hungry players. What bull. We just needed to reload with some high calber proven veteran players. It certainly worked for us in the past and has definitely worked for the Pats for several years. The Pats just signed a 40 year old LB who is probably better than any of the young hungry LB’s on our rodter. Oh but we’re in the Youth Movement, blah, blah, blah. How’s that Youth Movement been working?

• ELWAYs TEETH

DKnight007,

I’m with you, I’m not suggesting anyone go out and buy a ticket just to boycott. I’m suggesting that those of us not smart enough to have cancelled our season tickets, should boycott. I will not ever pay another penny to see this crap.

• stubblebuzz

Has anybody picked up Oren O’Neal or do the Raiders retain his rights? Not that it matters this season.

• DKnight007

ELWAYs TEETH Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 1:12 pm
    DKnight007,

^^^^^^^Honestly, the Raiders need to consider signing Vick next year IF they don’t draft someone like Clausen or Locker, which I doubt.

I think Clausen is going to be a solid NFL QB eventually.

• DKnight007

Plunketthead Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 1:25 pm
    Vick is too old, we have not seen him play for two years and we would have to make the system fit him.
    I think he is a longshot

^^^^^^Vick will probably be able to make more plays than Russell. They need an insurance policy ASAP, in case Russell fails and continues to stuggle and all signs point to him continuing to struggle…..ESPECIALLY with this offensive coaching staff and LOW percentage pass play calling.

• Plunketthead

I think he is a longshot

• DKnight007

And patchwork O-Line!

What a lousy job drafting by the old man this past year…..you draft a QB 3 years ago and never look to get him significant line help.

Monroe would have been a great pick last year and he would haev started at LT or RT with Henderson playing the opposite tackle position.

Some of you morons said last year said…..”Al Davis will not draft a RT with a top 10 pick”

Yeah….but he reaches and drafts a mid to late round WR, instead of drafting a bigger need and a higher rated player like Monroe or doing the wise and smart thing and trading down to get DHB…..

Utter stupidity…..

• Dark Forces

Just for farts and giggles, here’s who I wanted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft going back to 2004.

2004 Draft – I was ok with Gallery because OL picks that high pan out about 50% of the time, which is considered good. Ben Roethlisberger, Fitzgerald or Tommie Harris was the right pick. I wanted Michael Boulware in the second round which might be a push with Grove (although I hate a weakling center)

2005 – Aaron Rodgers was who I would have liked. I was shocked that we picked a smallish corner but no one else really jumped out at the time. Luis Castillo was one who would have been nice. I wanted Odell Thurman in the 2nd even though he was risky. I haven’t really followed his career since so I’mnot sure how that turned out. I do know that Stanford Routt pretty much sucks.

2006 – Haloti Ngata. I was hopping mad we didn’t pick Ngata and couldn’t believe we pick another safety that high after passing on Ed Reed for Napoleon Harris (which is probably the dumbest of all these missteps)! Huff, of course is a bust. How do you spell Texas inthe NFL? S-O-F-T. I was screaming that we didn’t pick Marcus McNeil in the second. How could Al pass on this massive tackle for a linebacker!? Don’t do break character now ffs!!!

2007 – Calvin Johnson. Kiffin was right, we should have taken Johnson. I wanted Johnson and Edwards, over Jabustus. I really wanted Tony Ugoh in the second round but Zack Miller was the better pick (even though our line still is pathetic).

• old raider

I’ve been a Raider since Tom Flores was our quarterback. Every week we have to play a football team and a team of mafia gambling officials. Al should give back the twenty million to the nfl and maybe we can start winning again. Some players that can hang onto the ball would also help. Someone needs to tell Russel that he can’t stand there like a big retarded dummy when four defenders are flying at him trying to kill him.